Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Military » If America military don't get paid,can they go on strike until they do ? Who can live without paying their bills.Even basic foods cost money

If America military don't get paid,can they go on strike until they do ? Who can live without paying their bills.Even basic foods cost money

Posted - January 8, 2019

Responses

If the congress does not renew funding, that means the military has been abolished.
      January 8, 2019 7:17 AM MST

How do those on the edge of their budget survive if that happens ? 
      January 8, 2019 12:46 PM MST

Military funding is separate from the rest of the government. It is also limited to two years to discourage a coup d'etat.
      January 9, 2019 5:37 PM MST

As it happens, the US Military is fully funded at present. 
    My question is how long do Air Traffic Controllers stay on their jobs... 
      January 8, 2019 8:16 AM MST

I think this shutdown could very easily become a national security issue at the airports and other ports of entry.  Trump has created a crisis where none existed before and I don't believe he has given any consideration to just how serious this shutdown really is.
      January 8, 2019 11:27 AM MST

His paltry plan to obscure this shutdown crisis of his own making is to push a border crisis of his own imagining. No facts align with the President’s claims, ...as usual.
    This will bite him in the A$$ in time. Trump has painted himself into a corner. If/when he fails, his re-election becomes virtually DOA.  

Sure, IMO, the borders could be better enforced, the laws could be better, but holding American Federal workers hostage to implement a poorly considered, vastly overpriced, third century solution that doesn’t solve the problem is lunacy, fomented by a congenitally lying lunatic. He still can’t explain that Mexico isn’t paying for it. 

Sadder still is the coward McConnell punting his “leadership“ in the Senate and his party to whatever would make Trump happy. If it weren’t so sad, it would be funny. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 9, 2019 6:12 PM MST
      January 8, 2019 11:51 AM MST

I couldn't have said it better myself.  When asked why he wouldn't accept a previous bi-partisan bill that he said he would approve, he claimed it would make him look foolish.  I hate to break it to him, but that isn't all that makes him look foolish.
      January 8, 2019 2:30 PM MST

He wouldn’t listen anyway. He blindly believes his own hype. 

I’m looking forward to the broadcast from the WH tonight. Should be a defining moment of his term, one way or another. 
      January 8, 2019 6:31 PM MST

Well, I wasted 10 minutes watching his address - nothing he hasn't been saying for almost a month.  He's committed to his own set of "facts" so I don't expect any change.  The best thing that can happen is that all the laid off/furloughed personnel apply a lot of pressure to re-open the government and deal with the border separately.  That doesn't seem to be an unreasonable thing to do.  He just won't do it because it's what the Democrats want.
      January 8, 2019 9:28 PM MST

Trump didn’t look like he even wanted to be there. 
    I’d ask him one simple question about his dull speech:
    When EXACTLY WAS IT you allegedly “ ...met with dozens of families, held the hands” of the mothers and “embraced the grief stricken fathers” of victims of illegal immigrants, ...what day was that?
    (Btw, Trump is a notorious germaphobe)

I wonder, do these people clean the rooms at Mar-a-Lago?
    Surely none of them work in the WH. 

What a pathetic attempt at manipulation. Next, a corny photo op looking important at the border. Kim Jong Un does these too. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 9, 2019 6:13 PM MST
      January 9, 2019 4:04 AM MST

There are reports he really didn't want to make that speech or go to the border but was urged by his "advisors" that he needed to do it.  I thought the entire speech was self-serving and insincere, especially when he talked about meeting with those families. 

January 9, 2019 10:48 AM MST

Doesn't America control the airways over the whole of the Pacific Ocean ......Surly all planes would have to be grounded if that happened ? 
      January 8, 2019 12:48 PM MST

I don’t know much about that. Let’s hope it never becomes an issue. 
      January 8, 2019 1:15 PM MST

Let's hope so....:) 
      January 8, 2019 3:36 PM MST

They are still being paid and no, they can't go on strike. That would be desertion and treason.
      January 8, 2019 10:05 AM MST

How is it treason if military personals  families have no money to buy food or pay their bills....Your familys survival must come first...:( 
      January 8, 2019 12:53 PM MST

The federal government has sut down twenty times since 1976, for periods up to three weeks. 

You didn't ever notice, did you?
      January 8, 2019 12:24 PM MST

Has it really..! No I did not know ,but hear much about what goes on in America in England...   I bet the big wigs still get paid on time though...:( 
      January 8, 2019 12:43 PM MST

The Military is currently funded, now I do have strong suspicion that if Military Families were hungry the Base Commander would open up the Mess Halls under emergency funding provisions. 

The Commander would also suspend all payments to the Private on Base Housing Contractors - currently a sore point among current commanders.  allowing the bases to be privatized was a mistake made by Obama, started with Clinton.  Hmmmm these guys were awfully large contributors to the Clinton Foundation BTW
      January 8, 2019 2:23 PM MST

England did the same ...it privatized to drinking water companies...Gas and electric companies....Privatized our trains  ,sold off our bridges so we gave to pay tolls to cross rivers....

The rich and powerful get richer....the poor foot the bill for everthing and get F/A in return apart from pain and grief...:( 
      January 8, 2019 3:42 PM MST

Nice Jugs so true, I wish it were different.  What are your thoughts on doubling the NHS fees for the Migrant Nurses, the nurses who are in short supply?  Do you think HUnt cares?
      January 9, 2019 4:02 PM MST

Are you saying migrant nurses have to pay fees ? Fees for what ? If they are properly trained ,a nurse is a nurse no matter who and need paying the same.....
    Maybe if they come here just for training and education ,that might be a different matter...
      January 9, 2019 4:18 PM MST

Was in the Guardian this morning
      January 9, 2019 4:28 PM MST

I suspect they wouldn't...they are in lockstep with the upper chains of commands.
      January 8, 2019 6:35 PM MST