Active Now

Thebigd
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever lost your car keys or house keys?

Have you ever lost your car keys or house keys?

Who hasn't?  I was on my way to work one time when I decided to make a quick stop at an office building to see someone for a minute. When I entered the elevator car keys somehow slipped out of my hand and went down the slot between the floor and the elevator floor. I managed to retrieve them and not be too late for work. 
'Nother time I went to a store then back home -what!! no keys in my pocket.  Retraced my route back to the store and there they were on the floor at the foot of the counter. Must have came out with the coins when I dug into my pocket and slipped out of my hand unnoticed. 

Posted - January 10, 2019

Responses

More than once, and I never found that car key. Retraced my steps, I'd say somebody picked it up and handed it in somewhere but I didn't know where. I had to call a locksmith so I could get another one cut,  just to get home. Since then I don't keep my keys in the same pocket as my wallet. Neither have I ever kept the car and house keys in the same case, I heard somewhere that hanging that much weight from the car key can damage the ignition lock, over time.
      January 10, 2019 1:44 AM MST

They keep vanishing off the face of the earth, but as my late wife would tell me "Ye've no lost them".
      January 10, 2019 1:55 AM MST

I made a spare car key and put it in my wallet. The first time I locked the door with the key inside, the key in my wallet had fallen out so I had to break a window. Now I tie the spare key to a business card because business cards don't fall out.

If you ever lock your key in the car, see if anybody nearby has a key that fits into the slot. If it does, there is a fair chance it will open the door. It does not have to resemble your key other than fitting into the slot.
      January 10, 2019 5:40 AM MST

More times that I want to admit to. I even locked my keys in the trunk/boot of my car once. 
      January 10, 2019 6:55 AM MST

I have two complete sets in my pockets at all times. I have this nightmare where I drop my keys down a parking lot drain during a rainstorm or when it's below zero temp. 
      January 10, 2019 6:56 AM MST

I have a major trauma every six months or so.  I never learn.  You would think I would have a spare set of car keys?  NOOOOO.  I have to go through hell every six months when I misplace them.

January 10, 2019 7:01 AM MST

I only lost my house keys one time way back when I was still in high school.  I have never lost my car keys, but I have locked them in the car and had to wait for roadside assistance to come and open the door.  Fortunately, I was at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike. 
      January 10, 2019 9:46 AM MST

No.  I've always known where they were.  A few times I could not reach them.  
      January 10, 2019 4:31 PM MST