mojo
ADOLPH TRUMP
Nom de Plume
elon musk- sunset crusader
Don Barzini
lavender
WelbyQuentin
Slartibartfast
Nevan B
designer
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Why do drivers pace other cars on highways?

Why do drivers pace other cars on highways?

For example, when you're on a freeway or highway and there are multiple lanes where traffic could flow freely, drivers tend to adapt their speed to the others around them, resulting in clumps of cars that shouldn't necessarily be clumped up. (Different from jams caused by traffic lights, accidents, and so forth.)

I was discussing this with someone a while back and they said they thought it was passive-aggressive; an attempt to prevent others from passing them. I think it's probably more caused by our unconscious motivation to fit into the surroundings/ adapt to those around us- an inborn social trait. I can't find any actual scientific research on this though.

Posted - January 10

• 5420
    It is a very peaceful feeling when every car on the road is going the same speed.

Also you are very unlikely to get a ticket for speeding if all traffic is going the same speed.
    1

• 8148
    People like to play "follow my leader" still now they have grown up....  If youre behind a lead car on a trip.....the one in front sets the pace and as long as you leave a big enough gap you just sit back and follow 
    I think also ,people feel safer if your travling along together as long as everyone behaves in a decent manner.....
    0

• 7468
    I agree with the person who told you it was passive-aggressive.  I particularly hate when that happens and there's a pace car in the passing lane so even if you wanted to get around them, you can't.  It's also dangerous if something happens on the road in front of you and you have to swerve to one side or the other and there's a car right there.  You are supposed to leave room to maneuver.
    1

• 1639
    I hate that when pokey camps in the passing lane and I can't get around all the other slow pokes because they're all going the same sluggish pace. Why would they not want to be passed? Does it make them feel somehow inferior?
    1

• 7468
    I think it makes them feel superior that they are able to control what other drivers do.  How many times have you had that situation and then there comes a break in the traffic to your right, you pass into that lane and come around and as you're coming back into the left lane, the car you wanted to pass speeds up?  
    1

• 29224
    I ignore them.  It drives them bonkers.
    0

• 4702
    I lived in North Texas 50 years ago and made a lot of trips over the years to West Texas to visit my parents---a 300 mile drive.

I remember one trip during which a specific car passed me four times at about 20 MPH faster than I was going; I subsequently noticed him at rest stops or gas stations.  (I was on cruise control and just chillin')

The last time I saw him was him behind me at the traffic light in the middle of downtown in my destination city.

It's all about average speed....

Cars do seem to cluster on the highways.  On long drives, I try to find a group that is maintaining a reasonable speed and distance from the others and join that group.  I don't like to have other drivers in my blind spot, nor do I like to be in theirs.

And I don't ever drive passive-aggressively.  Not sure I ever did, but definitely not for the last 40 years.

Here's an interesting link:  https://slate.com/human-interest/2011/10/rolling-speed-harmonization-how-colorado-fights-congestion-on-i-70.html
    0

• 9826
    I always use speed control so I don't really care how fast others are going as long as they are going as fast as OR faster than I.  
    0

• 5420
    When I drove limos in Phoenix, every now and then a car would follow me down a two lane road in the left lane. When I neared my turnoff, I changed to the right lane. Suddenly the driver behind me decides he needs to be in front of me, and he thinks he can change lanes and pass faster than I can change lanes. When he can't do it, because there is a curb over there, he honks his horn as if I had done something wrong.

You have to be very careful about changing lanes in Phoenix. People go bonkers when your car gets in front of theirs on a public street. Every now and then somebody pulls out a pistol and discharges it in your general direction. One pushy lady followed me into a parking lot and got out to fuss at me because my car got in front of hers. She even called the cops.
    0

• 3751
    That is so true and you know many people do that very purposefully.  I have been told that is the proper and most respectful way to drive and not doing that I would put myself as well as others at risk.  A lot of people really believe that and it is an article of faith on the road.  And they are very proud of it.  Which I was never into.  I just sort of tool along in the slow lane. 
    0