Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If true as some allege that GOD IS PERFECT then HE cannot be improved upon. How dare anyone question PERFECTION? Why would anyone try?

If true as some allege that GOD IS PERFECT then HE cannot be improved upon. How dare anyone question PERFECTION? Why would anyone try?

If you are perfect as-is there is nowhere to go. You are already there. So then what do you do without aspiration or inspiration or dedication to float your boat ring your chimes. Keep treading water in your perfection? Wouldn't that be awfully BORING?

Posted - January 11, 2019

Responses

It is not about daring or trying.  It is about hearing and listening.   It is quite the opposite of what we are trained to do.   We need to go into the depths of silence for the voice of God to be heard.  

The stiller you become, the more you will realize that we are all God.  It's true.   God is ocean.  We are the drops.  

January 11, 2019 11:43 AM MST

That's very poetic Sharon. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      January 12, 2019 2:33 AM MST

MAN made the decision to identify God as a male so how could He be perfect?  There is no evidence that God IS perfect. 
    I can't figure out why He can make hundreds of different kinds of toxic substances for plants, insects and reptiles to cause pain, sickness and death for victims but no substance ever that would at least give significant relief for any kind of chronic pain. 
    Maybe God should have a female aide or two -like Achelois who 'washes pain away'.
      January 11, 2019 10:42 PM MST

God made man in His own image---nice of you to try to return the favor.
      January 11, 2019 10:44 PM MST

Gods were originally made in the images of man, woman or beast. With the concept of one single omnipotent God  they thought it would give the New God a little more glory to turn it around and say 'man was created in the image of God'. This post was edited by Kittigate at January 13, 2019 4:34 AM MST
      January 11, 2019 10:54 PM MST

What forms (images) man fashioned to represent the powers which he was unable to control says nothing about the "God" that might exist.

And that God's existence or non-existence is totally independent of whether we think He exists or we think He doesn't---that will not be decided by a vote of us humans.

Even Aristotle argued for the necessity of the existence of an "uncaused cause."
      January 12, 2019 11:00 AM MST

I like what Buddha had to say "leave beginnings (things unknowable in ancient times) for science to determine".
    Buddha could not perceive any significant reason to believe in supernatural forces. 
      January 12, 2019 1:45 PM MST

That's the most frequently mistranslated line from the entire Bible.
    The correct text is "in the image of gods He made them." That's the Hebrew. Elohim. Plural.
    Of course this doesn't fit a monotheos, but neither does it need to. God has whatever physical form suits God, or none at all. God can be an hermaphrodite if God wants to be. When God wished to communicate, God did so using messengers - angelion or angels. Sent in human form so that we could relate. It's those we resemble. It's our immortal, invisible souls that are the "image of gods", gender bevomes irrelevant.
      January 12, 2019 1:26 AM MST

Gosh R I had no idea you were that much of a Biblical scholar. I also didn't know what you provided to us above. Thank you so much for that. Years ago there was a TV show titled "Joan of Arcadia" . Don't know if showed in your country. But the premise was that in every episode God showed up but you never knew which actor/actress portrayed GOD. It could be a little girl or an old man or a hippie or a homeless person or a waiter or a teacher or a street sweeper. Any gender. Any station in life. The point of which of course was obvious. You never know how God will be revealed to us so maybe we should treat ALL PEOPLE with respect just in case. It was a good show. It starred Joe Montegna, Mary Steenburgen and "Joan" was played by an actress named Amber Tamblyn. Her dad was a dancer/actor named Russ Tamblyn whose most famous movie was  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! Anyway thanks for the info. Makes sense! Happy Saturday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 12, 2019 11:13 AM MST
      January 12, 2019 3:00 AM MST

I loved Joan of Arcadia. (I saw Russ in West Side Story when I was 16.)  What I liked most about the show was the concept that God was constantly and directly involved in the life of creation like any loving father is involved in the growth of his family. (The "Mystical Body")

I also enjoyed Touched by an Angel, but I only started watching it while it was in re-runs.  I really enjoyed the final show where a large group of children were killed in a school explosion (and/or fire?) and Monica was willing to stay with the perpetrator for his lifetime sentence. 

The "perpetrator" was actually God; the life sentence was a test---and Monica passed with flying colors.  Sort of a feel good ending.... 
      January 12, 2019 11:24 AM MST

Bachelor of Theology, with a double major - religion and philosophy.
      January 13, 2019 2:37 AM MST

Or, if it is true that when referring to the Hebrew God, Elohim is usually understood to be grammatically singular, then, on the contrary, it is in fact accurately translated.

And the rest of your answer is---quite frankly in my opinion---misleading at best; but unless you wish to explain the basis for those declarative statements and their comprehension and extension, I am unwilling to go to the effort Aquinas puts into his explanations in the Summa Theologica.
      January 12, 2019 11:12 AM MST

Most of which was refuted, and brilliantly, by Barth and Schillebeecx. My baccalaureate is in theology, you're not winning this one. 98% of the tine, the word translated as "God" in the Pentateuch is "El", not "Elohim". "Family gods" (Gen 31:19), "no other gods before me" (Ex 20:2), this is where the plural is used - and in Genesis 1:27.
      January 13, 2019 2:13 AM MST

Good grief---you think this is a win-lose situation?  (Vanity, Vanity....)

CS Lewis suggests the one thing God hides from us is His mirth.

I suspect He is frequently highly amused by us humans.
      February 4, 2019 1:20 PM MST

:):):)
      January 12, 2019 2:38 AM MST

Your first line is a killer m'dear! Cracked me up! Very funnee hunnee and I do hope any guys reading it realize you're kinda sorta joking! Good one! As to the rest of your reply there is no wiggle room Kg. I can't find a crack in that logic so I cannot argue with you. Dagnabbit! Thank you for your multi-faceted reply and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      January 12, 2019 2:37 AM MST