Discussion » Questions » History » What was the shortest amount of time there was no Queen of England, or has the kingdom continuously had one since the first one? ~

What was the shortest amount of time there was no Queen of England, or has the kingdom continuously had one since the first one? ~

Posted - January 11, 2019

Responses

Since I am somehow related to some English royalty, I actually looked it up. There are thousands of names listed to be 'next in line to the crown'.  (I am not on the list)  No King 'B.H'.  Damn!
      January 11, 2019 9:20 PM MST

Probably the time between King Henry VIII's marriages.

There has been a nominal monarch, by birthright or conquest, continuously since the 900s at least. "The King/Queen is dead, long live the King/Queen". However, not all of them were continuously married - and until very recently, British constitutional law required that a son always succeeded unless the previous monarch had only daughters (or if a monarch died without legitimate issue, he/she was succeeded by the next closest living relative - usually a brother or nephew, but Elizabeth I (Tudor) was succeeded by her cousin James Stuart, as no scion remained of the Tudor Line). The wife of the King is queen but the reverse is not the case, a Queen's husband is not king. Queen Victoria's husband Albert was Prince Consort, as is Elizabeth II's husband Philip.
      January 11, 2019 10:41 PM MST

"There has been a nominal monarch, by birthright or conquest, continuously since the 900s at least."

You do realize, Professor, that my question only refers to the Queen, not to male monarchs, right?

~

January 12, 2019 11:09 AM MST

A great factually correct answer.Sally London
      January 13, 2019 1:55 PM MST