Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I don't like chocolates with soft centers. "Creams" I think they are called. I ADORE TRUFFLES. They are creams too but way better. Agree?

I don't like chocolates with soft centers. "Creams" I think they are called. I ADORE TRUFFLES. They are creams too but way better. Agree?

I like nougaty and nutty. Not so much the kinda crunch you get from rice crispies. The crunch you get from peanut brittle! Or butterscotch like those candy drops that the caramel maker makes. My favorte candy is Dark Chocolate-covered orange peel. It was my mom's favorite too. Oh. And RUM NOUGAT. Pretty tasty. What your favorite chocolates?

Posted - January 13, 2019

Responses

This box of stale candy is promising to make the country toxic to the point of cancer.

January 13, 2019 7:57 AM MST

Not a sweet treat in the bunch. Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Monday! :)
      January 14, 2019 3:14 AM MST

I don't like chocolate. 

Just about everyone gasps in horor when I tell them this.  "How can anyone not like chocolate?"  I guess I never developed a taste for the stuff.    Personally, I prefer marshmallow.  From a jar of marshmallow creme (or "fluff") to a package of marshmallow Peeps - those sugar-coated infections once available only at easter but have now migrated to other "holidays".  To me, a jar of marshmallow creme is much better than a Hershey bar.  I'm not alone; there are other "weirdos" out there who also don't like chocolate (although we are in the minority). 
      January 13, 2019 9:50 AM MST

You're the second person  I've met who dislikes chocolate. The first one is our dear neighbor friend Wilma. I asked why and she said it just doesn't taste good to her. I don't think you're weird Shuhak but your tolerance for VERY SWEET is much bigger than mine. Marshmallow is VERY SWEET. A tiny bit goes a long way with me. It is to my taste icky yucky sweet. No disrespect to you intended. Different strokes for different folks. I usually scrape frosting off cakes before I take a bite UNLESS the frosting is WHIPPING CREAM...the real kind, not that fake stuff you buy in a plastic container in the freezer section or what comes in refrigerated cans. The kind you buy in liquid form and beat with a whip or eggbeater until it forms peaks. You control the amount of sugar you add. Your tastebuds are either not as sensitive to sweet as mine are or they just LOVE ADORE supersuper duper sweet. Now sugar is a very BAD thing to eat in excess so I hope you don't! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday!   :)
      January 14, 2019 3:21 AM MST

I prefer frosting (eat the cake first and then savor the frosting ...mmmmm).   I have tried several times to make a marshmallow frosting.  Now THAT'S sickeningly sweet!  (almost too much for me).  Unfortunately, the outcome is a semi-liquid substance that won't stay on the cake.  Even at freezing temperatures the frosting slides off the cake.

Excess?  No, no, no!  Besides being expensive on the teeth, sugar more than quadruples in weight between the kitchen scales and the bathroom scale (totally defies the laws of physics). 

All this talk about cake is making me want to go and bake one.  Must.... resist....temptation....! :)
      January 14, 2019 10:18 AM MST

I love Godiva's dark chocolate truffles with any flavor inside.  They are the best.  
      January 13, 2019 11:47 AM MST

I never met a TRUFFLE I didn't love L! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 14, 2019 3:22 AM MST

I hear you, but it's Godiva I love best. :)
      January 14, 2019 10:11 AM MST

I don't recall ever having one L though I may well have. Of course some are creamier smoothier lusciouser than others. Always DARK CHOCOLATE of course. Funny how tastebuds change. As a kid I loved milk chocolate. In fact I don't remember having choices. If there was dark chocolate candy around at that time I was unaware of it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      January 18, 2019 3:25 AM MST

I love dark chocolate to and don't recall ever seeing it around when I was a kid. :)  Godiva dark chocolate is very creamy and smooth.  Happy Friday. :)
      January 18, 2019 9:46 AM MST

• I prefer soft centers.      I am not a chocolate snob by any means.  Fancy chocolate generally means more money, and I am not splurging for candy in that way.   I still love Brach's soft center "creams", especially their maple and their mint.    Bordeaux from See's is also an old favorite of mine, and they make a maple nut as well that I love.
      January 13, 2019 12:04 PM MST

My favorite See's candy was the RUM NOUGAT. They also had a DARK CHOCOLATE NOUGAT. We used to treat ourselves to See's candy for our birthdays (5 days apart) and at Christmas. We haven't bought any See's Candy or even been inside a See's candy store for years. If we eat chocolate it is DARK CHOCOLATE and we buy the Walmart brand 72% cocoa bar. It's almost a dollar cheaper per bar than the LINDT brand and tastes just as good. We are both pre-diabetic so we kinda avoid sugary things and we when we found that  out we cut way a couple of years ago. I do buy the Atkins bars which are sugar-free and from time will eat some if my "sweet tooth" acts up. Never did like creams. Neither did my mom. It was always nutty or nougatty although the exception is/was MARZIPAN. See's had a dark chocolate MARZIPAN that was delicious too. Thank you for your reply lavender! :)
      January 14, 2019 3:28 AM MST

• I buy the 72% dark chocolate as well. Over here I can usually find the Lindt brand, 2 for $5.00.    I will have to check out See's dark chocolate marzipan. I don't believe I have ever tried that, but I love marzipan.    I haven't been inside a See's in ages either.   I love the smell of all the candy goodness when I walk inside that store.  
      January 14, 2019 7:36 AM MST

Walmart locally in Hemet charges $1.98 per bar and Lindt costs $2.68 per bar. Now of course Lindt is Swiss chocolate so maybe that makes a difference but taste-wise I can't tell them apart! My mom's favorite See's candy was the rum nougat and her second favorite was the dark chocolate Marzipan. I don't know if they still make it but it was delicious so I expect lots of Marzipan lovers buy tons of it!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 14, 2019 8:21 AM MST
      January 14, 2019 8:19 AM MST

Caramello. Soft centres (sorry) but smooth flowing caramel rather than cream.
      January 14, 2019 5:55 AM MST

Oh my gosh R! You just took me back decades. I was in my early 20's and the Sears store in Pasadena where I lived at the time had a candy counter. One of the candies they sold was that very CARAMELLO  you describe. A soft chewy mallow center engulfed with a luscious soft caramel. The pieces were twisted in opaque non-stick paper like CUT RITE waxed paper and I'd buy a pound every time I went in that store. I'd head there FIRST and then go to whatever other departments I planned to shop. I had completely forgotten about them. I wonder if anyone anywhere still makes them? That mallw was a divine consistency. If I were to have one now maybe I'd think it was too sweet. Taste-buds do change as we age. Thank you for your reply. Got any at home now by the by? This post was edited by RosieG at January 14, 2019 8:30 AM MST
      January 14, 2019 8:28 AM MST

• I used to love chocolate fudge ... but I've been allergic to chocolate for decades!  I still love the smell of it though.  :)   It wasn't that bad since I'm not really a candy lover.  Just don't take away my pasta and bread.  
      January 14, 2019 8:23 AM MST

((hugs)) Hi there Mrs. C! How be thee? I wonder what caused the allergy to chocolate to kick in at all? I'm with you on the pasta (Dreamfield's of course) and bread. Nothing better...slathered with BUTTER! Num! Happy New Year my friend. Thanks for dropping by to say hi and Happy Monday to thee! :) ((hugs))
      January 14, 2019 8:32 AM MST

• ((hugs)) and a very Happy New Year to you and Jim!  I don't know why I developed that allergy.  It's funny, when I tell people about it ... they tell me they couldn't deal with that.  But .. there are so many other great things to eat .. I do just fine.  Hot caramel is my new love!  :)
      January 14, 2019 9:39 AM MST

So m'dear then I guess you have tasted SALTED CARAMEL? I see a lotta salted caramel. Coffee, candy, yogurt. You name it. Now just hearing "salt" affixed to candy turns me off. But if you have tasted it d'ya like it? I wonder who invented it? Do you like butterscotch too? Frankly I can't tell the diff between the two. Can you? Thank you for your reply B and Happy Friday to thee!  :)
      January 18, 2019 3:56 AM MST

• I haven't tasted salted caramel because I try to avoid excess salt in my diet.  It know it's very popular though.  I do love butterscotch.  I think I read that salted caramel was "invented" by a Parisian chef??  Happy Friday to you too!  :)
      January 18, 2019 7:42 AM MST

Thank you for your reply B! Not having ever tasted it I'm not sure how SALTY the salt part is. It must taste pretty good thhought because see that flavor everywhere in lots of things. I like caramel and butterscotch equally which is to say A LOT. I think of them as rather the same in flavor. See ya later gator?  :)
      January 18, 2019 8:15 AM MST

Agreed with some reservations!
      January 18, 2019 4:44 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Ritesh! :):):)
      January 18, 2019 8:23 AM MST