Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Can one be a VERY SERIOUS PERSON with a JOLLY GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR or are they mutually exclusive? Why?

Can one be a VERY SERIOUS PERSON with a JOLLY GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR or are they mutually exclusive? Why?

Posted - January 17, 2019

Responses

I have a good sense of humor (I laugh at myself a lot also) and, depending on the circumstances can be very serious so you can be both. :)
      January 17, 2019 7:34 AM MST

I laugh at myself all the time too ru. Not because I'm so witty and funny but because you would not believe  some of the dumb things I do! Basically I am a very serious person except when I'm not and then I can be everywhere and anywhere all the time all over the place until I get back to my serious mode. Thank you for your reply!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 17, 2019 2:17 PM MST
      January 17, 2019 7:43 AM MST

I guess I have a dry sense of humor and I chuckle at myself for doing some silly and dumb things. Some people have told me that some of the things I say and do are kinda silly and dumb and I have to agree. That said, I do take myself seriously and I am very aware of what's going on around me which I also take seriously but I don't allow the serious side of me to make me become a stick in the mud. Laughter and humor make life a bit easier to handle. :)
      January 17, 2019 8:18 AM MST

Humor and seriousness are not mutually exclusive.  The key to combining them is to have the wisdom to not only know how, when, and where to use them, but also to be able to delicately weave the two together as needed. 

We've all seen them - the joker... the person who has to make a joke about everything; and the austere ... always dead serious about everything and never laughing about anything.  Sometimes we need these two to be far apart, but many times we wish they could be more "together".  (lighten up; could you be serious for a moment?)  No one like a buffoon at a funeral or a sourpuss at a comedy show.  Yet, sometimes a little levity helps one get through a somber moment.  Sometimes clowning around can get out of hand and some sobriety is necessary.

When you were in school, what made for the best kind of teacher (learning wise) - one who was dead serious, one who was always joking, or one who was a little of both?  The dead serous teacher was boring.  The clown teacher didn't get much across to the students (they just wanted to have a good time).  While the one who (properly) mixed humor with the serious got their students to learn while having "fun".  (sorry if you never had a teacher like that).

Combining seriousness and humor together isn't always easy.  There's nearly always a fine line between the two.  If one doesn't weave them together delicately, it can cause problems, misunderstandings or even invoke anger.  As a gambler needs to "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em", so one who tries to mix levity with seriousness needs to know when to speak and when not to.
      January 17, 2019 1:22 PM MST

I think it's possible to have both.

Consider how the great comics like John Cleeze, Billy Conelly and others make serious subjects screamingly absurd.

My humour is very dry; only the people who know me well recognise when I'm applying it.
    I don't find any humour in taking the piss out of others.
    The exception is the comic lampooning of public figures; some of them need some of their arrogance pruned.
    It's healthy for society to illustrate the absurdities of politics and hypocrisies in general.

Generally, people consider me rather serious, and some people think I'm way too serious (but they are the ones who can't be serious about anything - or they are people whose jokes are woefully sad or off.)

For me, serious is fun. I really am most happy when my brain is somehow being stretched.

Just imagine it... the brain, that fragile blancmange, being massaged like bread, or rolled and stretched out like pastry, or elastic and snapping back... just as much fun as being kneaded by a masseur... but the pleasure is all in the mind.

This post was edited by inky at January 17, 2019 9:24 PM MST
      January 17, 2019 9:24 PM MST