Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I s'pose most folks would say they support being LOGICAL. Problem is we don't agree on what LOGICAL is. How would you describe/define it?

I s'pose most folks would say they support being LOGICAL. Problem is we don't agree on what LOGICAL is. How would you describe/define it?

Posted - January 17, 2019

Responses

Logical - being rational, sensible.

When someone says "logical" or "logic", I always think of Spock (Star Trek) - "If the outcome of an action can not equal the desired result of that action, then that action, in and of itself, is illogical".  (yes, I'm a Trekker)

Example - trying to put out a fire with gasoline is illogical given the flammable nature of gasoline fumes (not the liquid itself, as, without fumes, it isn't flammable).  

Trump could take a lesson from Spock - "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".  It's only logical.

January 17, 2019 10:54 AM MST

I just thought of another question Shuhak which of course I shall ask. If your vocabulary is limited isn't your  ability to comprehend/understand similarly limited?  The Putin puppet speaks in grammar school..or kindergarten words. His intellectual prowess is MIA which is obvious with every tweet and every speech. If anyone logical was in his gubment he quickly disabused then of it. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I'd like to see logic back in our government in my lifetime! Happy Friday!  :)
      January 18, 2019 2:53 AM MST

Yes.  However, some who speak in "small words" (grammar school) do so because the masses aren't educated.  Using "large" words (so to speak) only serves to confuse the masses (get 'em too confused and they may revolt).

No, not trump.  He IS uneducated (went to one of his own colleges?).  
      January 18, 2019 10:00 AM MST

Something that stands to reason.  Rational.

Like the fact that Trump is Putin's pawn.  That stands to reason after Trump announced his loyalty to Putin across every world stage that matters.

January 17, 2019 5:07 PM MST

Indeed. Putin is brilliant. Putin's puppet lacks the wherewithal to understand/comprehend so he is the perfect lapdog Russian agent. He does what he is told to do. Period. Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Friday! :)
      January 18, 2019 2:54 AM MST

Logic is reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
    By recognising logical fallacies one can recognise false or specious arguments.
    But few people are taught more than the simplest rudiments of logic at school and most forget even those.

Our society as a whole does agree on what logic is - otherwise the word would have no definition in any dictionary.
    All languages are based on the logical structuring of the order of words or symbols.
    In addition, we would have no maths, no sciences, no statistical analysis and no insurance, and no music.
    There would be no ways of analysing how things work and what is possible.

Even psychology works according to the logic of the emotions as they evolved for survival and procreation and as they are influenced by the environment - though it is a different kind of logic to that of formal thinking.

Thinking itself is not innate, even though most of us are born with the potential to learn it.
    In many ways, I tend to believe that not learning it is a choice to remain ignorant.
    Just like not exercising the body, many prefer the path of least effort - they let others do the thinking, and then follow the brands of thought that appeal best to their emotions, beliefs and self-interest.
      January 17, 2019 8:56 PM MST

The brain stops working in direct proportion to the emotion one feels about anything. The more intense the emotion the more dense the thought process. Thank you for your thoughtful reply NdP.
      January 18, 2019 2:56 AM MST

I think that is so for many people.

Certainly, the signals for emotions fire along the neurones and synapses many times faster than thoughts do.
    This is a biological reason why intense emotions can short circuit good sense.

But it is also possible for people to learn self-calming and self-control.
    This is one of the traits of a mature person. Experience helps but age alone is never enough - it takes will and practice.

January 18, 2019 6:52 PM MST

I flare up and calm down. I DO NOT stay enraged for very long. Too hard on me. I release it as soon as I've had enough of it which is usually a coupla minutes. I go ALL IN a lot but it is very short-lived. It's the way I vent and stay true to myself without becoming my own worst enemy. Thank you for your reply NdP. I usually lead with my brain. When I don't I know I can't win.  :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 19, 2019 3:45 PM MST
      January 19, 2019 5:38 AM MST

Thank you for being so open and allowing me to get to know you.
    I can be short tempered on some things - impatient with my husband when his language is indirect or ambiguous because he knows how much I hate having to guess and ask questions until I finally get the meaning from him. Losing my temper does no good whatsoever, not for me and not for him - but I do wish we could find a solution.
    In other matters, it takes a lot - some kind of serious transgression or negligence - and even then, I'll control my anger in order to deal with the issue. The steam comes out later, in writing or in exercise or hard work.

This post was edited by inky at January 20, 2019 7:11 AM MST
      January 19, 2019 3:52 PM MST

You're welcome and backatcha! Exercise is a wonderful way to "vent". I used to run but when I turned 50 I started having problems with my knees so my doc told me my running days were over but I could FASTWALK. Now have you ever FASTWALKED? It has got to be the most boring unfun thing to do. I tried it and didn't like it. But I do walk a lot at various speeds when I'm in the mood. I also kinda lift heavy things for upper body strenth. We get bottled water and the 3-gallon size bottle weights 24 lbs. A couple of days ao we got 18 gallons. I use bottled water all the time for cooking even cooking pasta in it. Jim has a bad back so I do all the heavy lifting. I've done so for years and my upper body strength has really improved a lot. At the water store people are forever offering to lift the bottles for me when they're filled and I explain to them it's a good thing and benefits me. I lift them at home too. Not for hours at a time of course. A couple of minutes here a couple of minutes there every day and it's enough! And a laundry basket full of wet clothes that are going into the dryer is not light. It's also quite heavy with all the heavy bath towels. Thank you for your reply NdP and Happy Sunday to thee!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 20, 2019 7:20 AM MST
      January 20, 2019 7:17 AM MST