Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you? My wife called me pathetic, for reasons I won't go into.

What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you? My wife called me pathetic, for reasons I won't go into.

It was unforgettable and unforgivable and changed our relationship forever.

Posted - January 18, 2019

Responses

• I hate to dredge up old things, but my dad called me a bitch at least one time that I can remember.  This was many years ago, and I resolved all of my anger and resentment toward my dad many years before he died.   I miss him terribly, and maybe he was not the best parent when I was younger, which he admitted and more than made up for, he did the best that he could, and he was wonderful once we resolved our issues. 
      January 18, 2019 7:56 PM MST

He didn't say anything. He laughed at me when I found out about the affair. The affair that was very public all the other ones were secret and only the three of us knew. **rolling eyes at the thought of "three of us"** 

Laughter in the face of pain is despicable. 
      January 18, 2019 8:17 PM MST

• when i was in grade school i really wanted a bikini to wear on a school field trip, my mother wouldnt let me get one though and said i didnt have the body to wear a bikini. i dont think she meant it the way i took it but it really damaged my self esteem and def helped fuel my shitty disordered eating patterns and laxative abuse 
      January 18, 2019 8:34 PM MST

• Being told in high school that I have "no personality" stung pretty badly. Granted it was actually said behind my back, but I got wind of it. 
      January 18, 2019 10:35 PM MST

• My mother called me "dumb" when I was a child.  That's so cruel.  Kids should be built up, not beat down.  But she was an alcoholic, so she had her own demons to deal with.
      January 19, 2019 3:53 AM MST

Sticks and stones my hurt my bones  but names wil never hurt me......
    People need to put their brains in gear befire saying hateful things which are often never meant.....Friends and family tend to know your weaknesses and say things to get maximum effects and gain the upper hand......
    In fact ,saying hurtful things to another and more so when you know will hit a nerve most always has adverse effects to the person that has said them....
    What they do is make their self look stupid and dig a hole for themselves that they often can't get out of....

Most things spoken in haste are often never forgotten ....often one day in the future ,they will return to bite you on your Arse....
    :( 

January 19, 2019 4:23 AM MST

Blue Piece of Shit - my dad disparaging my service in the USMC.  We were never close after that, however there are debts of duty, debts of honor and debts of obligation.  I repaid my debts to that man, even attended his funeral w/o a harsh word.

He got nothing more and nothing less.  The Island and the Corps taught me a lot
      January 19, 2019 1:02 PM MST

Semper fi. Navy man, myself. Thanks for your service.
      January 19, 2019 1:13 PM MST

Thank you for yours
      January 19, 2019 1:55 PM MST

I found out really late in the relationship that my ex-wife was a coward. She never, ever told me that she wanted a divorce. Not to my face. I found out after I got out of the mental hospital. In my case, it's what she didn't say that made things worse than they were.
      January 19, 2019 2:03 PM MST

Once a guy told me he was going to cut me up and throw me away and it cut me like a knife because it was bad enough him saying he was going to cut me up but to say he was going to also throw me away (like garbage) really hurt my feelings. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at January 19, 2019 2:23 PM MST
      January 19, 2019 2:21 PM MST

We travel around a bit.  My father announced at a family gathering a few years ago that if, while I am "bumming" around South America, I were to be kidnapped, he would not pay anything to have me released. 
      January 19, 2019 10:55 PM MST