Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Support for Pres Trump among Hispanics jumps 20% since shut down over border wall? Are the Dems in bigger trouble than they thought?

Support for Pres Trump among Hispanics jumps 20% since shut down over border wall? Are the Dems in bigger trouble than they thought?

Support went from 30% in Dec to 50% now after Trump strong stance on the border wall.  (Poll is an NPR so not a conservative source) 

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/898717?section=us&keywords=latinos-hispanics-presidential-approval-ratings&year=2019&month=01&date=17&id=898717 

Posted - January 19, 2019

Responses

No doubt every Hispanic person in America was polled. Right? 

Fake News. 
      January 19, 2019 6:33 AM MST

• Nor was/am I polled in any of these supposed national polls.  NEVER!  NOT ONCE!  Oh, wait, I'm white. :P
      January 19, 2019 6:50 AM MST

So you don't trust polls. Fair enough. They can be biased based on wording. But this was NPR so I doubt it was worded in Trump's favor.
      January 19, 2019 7:01 AM MST

Accurate polling or no, how many people listen to NPR (in this case)? 

How many people care so little for polls so as to not participate in them? 

How many people cite only polls that support their agenda as credible? 

No, I don’t trust polls. They are part of the giant mass of static that comprises what we the people must sort through to discern what is really happening. Preponderance of evidence is more convincing to me than a given opinion or a limited poll of opinion. 
      January 19, 2019 7:11 AM MST

You don't get polled because you listen to a particular news source. You are contacted by the poll taker usually by phone. I have been polled before about 20 yrs ago back when I was very pro-choice. Took about 30 minutes to answer their questions. My husband was annoyed we were getting ready o leave and they said it would only be about 5 mins. 

Internet polls are a joke. Regular polls can be biased and are but you can watch for trends upwards or downwards. 

January 19, 2019 7:22 AM MST

Agreed.
    I would add that the opinions one might express in a poll can be reflective of what is “learned“ from a particular news source, or a limited set of only agreeable sources. 

I think that there is also something to be said that while you yourself have participated in a poll, it was just the one time, and long ago. I have never been polled in any similar manner nor, to my knowledge has anyone I know. Leaves me to question who did get polled in most cases. Typically, the sample is too small a count to sustain a convincing argument. 
      January 19, 2019 8:05 AM MST

Yes, samples are very small usually 2000 would be a large sample. 
      January 19, 2019 9:07 AM MST

• I don't believe anything in the media, BuzzFeed being just one good example why.
      January 19, 2019 6:51 AM MST

Dems in trouble? hahahahaha
    TRUMP and his cabinet whiteness is in trouble.
    What a crook
    and his Karma is going to bonk him 
    real good...
    Trump's thing is to do away
    with Government and be the Dictator in charge.
    just like Russia and North Korea, He emulates those
    Dictators in case no one has noticed.
    What a mess, chaos everywhere.
    and this is your guy?
    sad very sad.
    His Egoic Gov shutdown making
    Thousands of people suffer for a wall BS...
     tunnels under the wall is
    a simple solution for smugglers.
    So much BS everywhere...
    .....His followers are lemmings
    that are following him off the cliff...

I try to stay away from comments
    that I always make about TRump
    but God almighty this all is such a farce
    People need to wake up.
    No offense to you
    but when I see statements like yours
    I lose it.

January 19, 2019 7:41 AM MST

Bravo, Baba. The truth will set you free, amigo. 
      January 19, 2019 8:14 AM MST

What about the people who suffer because of the unsecured border? People who must compete for jobs against illegals. Why should I as the business owner have to compete against other businesses who are cheating and using illegal labor? And those people are being mistreated as well and because of their status, they have to put up with it. The tax burden placed on the state and local gov taking care of them (education housing etc) The people have been permanently separated from their family because of crimes. (I know most illegals are not violent people they are just looking for a better life) If they want to come they should do it legally. 

We need to secure the border. Yes, that means a wall/fence where needed and manpower along with tech.  That tech can be used to search for any tunnels which will continue to be filled in with concrete.

And if a Rep gets 50% of the Hispanic vote. The Dems are done. That is why they play identity politics without it they lose. 
      January 19, 2019 9:56 AM MST

I'm not sure this is surprising, given the wide variety of nationalities lumped into the terms Latino or Hispanic. 

The real news is how Trump did with his base. Very good to see that some of your comrades have stopped drinking his Kool-Aid! Cheers! 

Trump Has Lost Ground With Key Groups In His Base

GROUP

NET CHANGE

DEC. 2018

JAN. 2019
    Overall approval -7 pts. Approve: 42%
    Disapprove: 49%
    Net: -7 pts. Approve: 39%
    Disapprove: 53%
    Net: -14 pts. Republicans -10 pts. Approve: 90%
    Disapprove: 7%
    Net: +83 pts. Approve: 83%
    Disapprove: 10%
    Net: +73 pts. White men without a college degree -7 pts. Approve: 56%
    Disapprove: 34%
    Net: +22 pts. Approve: 50%
    Disapprove: 35%
    Net: +15 pts. White evangelicals -13 pts. Approve: 73%
    Disapprove: 17%
    Net: +56 pts. Approve: 66%
    Disapprove: 23%
    Net: +43 pts. Suburban men -18 pts. Approve: 51%
    Disapprove: 39%
    Net: +12 pts. Approve: 42%
    Disapprove: 48%
    Net: -6 pts. White women without a college degree -24 pts. Approve: 54%
    Disapprove: 34%
    Net: +20 pts. Approve: 43%
    Disapprove: 47%
    Net: -4 pts.

Source: NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist Poll. The most recent data come from a survey of 1,023 U.S. adults conducted Jan.10-13. The margin of error for the overall sample is +/- 3.8 percentage points.

Credit: Alyson Hurt and Domenico Montanaro/NPR

January 19, 2019 10:17 AM MST

The graphic didn't copy very well. Here's a link to NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/685539207/poll-trump-approval-down-slips-with-base
      January 19, 2019 10:22 AM MST

Some are mad about the shutdown. They will come back. 
      January 19, 2019 2:36 PM MST

• It's funny, we have many illegal Chinese workers, particularly in San Fran. No one cares about them, and no wall will stop them either. But yes, let's get that wall built ASAP, because the rest of us have been lining up to harvest those vineyards in triple digit heat. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 19, 2019 10:21 AM MST
      January 19, 2019 10:19 AM MST

Where did I specify Hispanic illegals? Up until recently the only illegals I had met were European and Korean. All nationalities come through our southern border. Because they have learned that OTM (Other Than Mexicans) get different treatment when crossing the border--Mexicans are immediately deported if found within so many miles of the border. There have been criminals from 7 different countries arrested at the southern border in the last few weeks. 
      January 19, 2019 1:00 PM MST