Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Weather » so, how much snow did you get overnight

so, how much snow did you get overnight

i think we got ~6 inches 

as usual the news exaggerates the crap out of every weather event

my manager says it was just a way to get consumers out and spending money lol

Posted - January 20, 2019

Responses

Around 6 or 7. The official amount is measured at the airport, so it varies throughout the region.
      January 20, 2019 2:47 PM MST

Why rely on the news?  I use a yardstick to measure snow here (there is still such a thing as a yardstick, right?).  Snowfall can vary from place to place.  Even areas a few hundred yards apart can have different snowfall depths.  So what the "official" total is may not be what you actually have.
      January 20, 2019 2:57 PM MST

Quite true. My back yard had more than the front due to the wind.
      January 21, 2019 7:11 AM MST

• The warm air from the south brought my area torrential rain and scary damaging winds. Tore down my neighbor's patio enclosure!  Then by 5 am the snow and ice came. Only about 3-4 inches of snow but solid ice underneath.  My car doors and trunk were froze:(
      January 20, 2019 3:08 PM MST

• Up in the Sierras where we need that snow to help us with the drought down here, they are expecting over 18" in some spots overnight, so that is great. 
      January 20, 2019 6:08 PM MST

Hello Lavender
    Absolutely, but it also helps the ski season, supposed to go up in Feb for a week, those plans may change though.
      January 20, 2019 6:50 PM MST

• Not sure where you ski, but Boreal is doing really well this weekend with skiers.  It looked packed.  I think you should be good still if you are going next month.  Enjoy!   I have a lot of friends that live up there near Kirkwood, and they're already done with all the snow, haha, I am glad though. We need it so badly.
      January 20, 2019 7:12 PM MST

hey there Lavender..
    We, about 16-24 of us, my kids, my brother and his kids, my sister and her kids and their kids, and usually a boyfriend or two of my nieces) go twice a year to Soda Springs, Serene Lakes for a family vacation. I will take the younger ones to Soda Springs ski hill for a day and the rest of the time, the adult kids and myself head to Sugar Bowl. I have been skiing those 2 places since the 60's , many "loaded; nights at Boreal.. Myself and some friends decided to streak down from the top down to the lodge one night at Boreal. Our girlfriends were at the bottom with blankets and one of my friends crashed right at the bottom and some how stuck his pole tip through his lip...
      January 20, 2019 9:21 PM MST

• Wow, large family.  That sounds like a lot of fun though.  I love Boreal.  It sounds like you guys has some funny, wild times there back in the day lol.    Funny, minus the pole being stuck in his lip...ouch! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2019 7:12 AM MST
      January 20, 2019 9:27 PM MST

We have a long history with that part of the mountain. My parents had a cabin on Serene Lakes back in the 60's and 70's. In the 80's I played in a band in Reno /Tahoe for a few years. I have been hosting these vacations for about 6 years now and they are a blast.
    Here are some of us at Soda,
    top, r-l..Me, a niece, my sister, my son and his girlfriend, my Daughter(in blue), and another niece and her Boyfriend.
    bottom...a few more nieces...the younger ones are on the hill...
    bottom l-r. an This post was edited by designer at January 21, 2019 7:14 AM MST
      January 20, 2019 9:39 PM MST

Nice photo. I took some Scouts skiing years ago up in MI. I got frostbite and never went again.
      January 21, 2019 7:16 AM MST

No snow, but we got nasty thunderstorms with heavy downpours. I remember a couple brats stole some bikes from our store just before the storm broke out so I hope they got soaked. Ha! And it was that stinging ice cold rain, too!
      January 20, 2019 6:43 PM MST

• No snow, just rain and icing.  Now we have horrible winds and COLD temps!
      January 20, 2019 6:53 PM MST

• the winds here are real bad too, i live on the top floor of my apartment building and sounds like my windows are going to blow in 
      January 20, 2019 7:13 PM MST

• Yes .. it's pretty scary here too!  Stay safe!
      January 21, 2019 5:00 AM MST

No snow. We have a condition we call "thinking of raining." It rained several days in a row a week ago and the ground is still moist but sidewalks are dry. We have heavy cloud cover so I didn't get to see the lunar eclipse. I watched five different locations on youtube: Morocco, Tennessee, NYC, some place in South America, and Los Angeles. All five had cloud cover but Morocco got a fairly clear view for a while.

But at least I don't have to put up with snow.
      January 20, 2019 11:05 PM MST