Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is BUTTERSCOTCH obsolete? Everything is salted caramel or caramel. What happened to butterscoth? When did it and why?

Is BUTTERSCOTCH obsolete? Everything is salted caramel or caramel. What happened to butterscoth? When did it and why?

I have only scoured ONE STORE and I am on a mission to find some butterscoth somewhere. All they had was a bag of sugar-free  butterscotch hard candies with numbered food dyes among the ingredients. I never buy or eat anything with numbered food dyes in it. I will keep looking in other stores but what happened to butterscotch? I was on a similar quest for peach ice cream and found ZERO anywhere. Did peach and butterscotch elope or something?

Posted - January 21, 2019

Responses

The dollar stores carry it. You can still buy butterscotch pudding.

This post was edited by Element 99 at January 22, 2019 2:03 AM MST
      January 21, 2019 7:39 AM MST

Very cute Ele. I will keep on checking. I know it exists out there somewhere. So do you drink Scotch? Got a preference as to which brand? I worked fora guy who imported his scotch from Scotland. I think it was Glen Fiddich or Glen something. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday. I am a HUGE fan of butter. Scotch not so much! :)
      January 22, 2019 2:05 AM MST

• i would look at real candy stores or  buy online 

now i want butterscotch pudding 
      January 21, 2019 7:42 AM MST

I haven't gone into a real candy store yet elon nor did I look online. I never buy anything online. I also didn't go into a Baskin Robbins 31 flavors ice cream store. Maybe they have butterscotch ripple ice cream. I'm stubborn. I'm gonna keep looking. I remember my mom making butterscotch pudding when I was  kid! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 22, 2019 2:07 AM MST

• No way, not in my world. I love butterscotch.    My nieces made some butterscotch cookies a few weeks ago -  SO good.  I will take that over caramel any day. 
      January 21, 2019 9:06 AM MST

I didn't look for the butterscotch chips lavender. I didn't think of that since I never use them. Thank you for your reply and  Happy Tuesday to you m'dear! :)
      January 22, 2019 2:09 AM MST

January 21, 2019 9:07 AM MST

How do I do that L? Other than handtyping how I do I move that very long link to wherever I'm supposed to move it? Thank you for your helpful reply and the link. Now what coach? Happy Tuesday! :) ((hugs))
      January 22, 2019 2:11 AM MST

When you hover your cursor (arrow) over the link and left click, it should open.  If not, right click on the link and where it asks if you want to open the link in a new tab, left click.
      January 22, 2019 5:20 AM MST

When you hover your cursor (arrow) over the link and left click, it should open.  If not, right click on the link and where it asks if you want to open the link in a new tab, left click.
      January 22, 2019 5:20 AM MST

When things "disappear" from store shelves, the usual culprit is that it didn't generate weren't enough sales to justify its shelf space.  Shelf space in a store is costly.  If an item isn't generating sales, a store (or a store chain) will discontinue the product (remove it from their schematic and warehouse).  Th same goes for a manufacturer.  If the product they make doesn't generate enough revenue they will discontinue it.  (They can also discontinue things due to legalities or if they cant get teh ingredients).

1. Check online with the manufacture of the product to see if they still make it.
    2. If they still make it, ask them where its sold in your area (usually done by zip code).
    3. Check with that store.  Some stores order off of shelf tags or product bibs.  If a tag or bib is lost, damaged they can't order the product. that tag or bib might get lost or destroyed.  Sometimes schematics don't get updated quickly.  If the manufacture says a store carries their product they are paying the store to carry it - and manufactures don't like wasting money!  

I know that the retailer I worked for (which is in your area) discontinued butterscotch a few years ago due to poor sales (ice cream topping went first followed by the house brand candy).

Peach ice cream is usually a "seasonal item".  However, not all stores order it in (if they don't think they can sell it, they won't order it in).

You might try small candy shoppes.  They usually use different vendors than larger stores.  If they don't carry it, they may be able to special order it for you.
      January 21, 2019 10:35 AM MST

It sure pays to talk to knowledgeable folks Shuhak. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and the handy suggestions. I will forge on being stubborn as I am. So many things I really liked a lot have disappeared through the years. I was particularly fond of sprouted wheat muffins that Trader Joe's used to carry decades ago. They had two kinds...with and without raisins. They were so good. Then one day they were gone with the wind never to be seen or heard from again. Could I have been the only one buying them? I wish they'd give you a head'sup warning when something is going to disappear so you can STOCK UP! Ever have anything you liked a lot just disappear? I'm gonna ask!  Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 22, 2019 2:49 AM MST

Manufactures are always looking for ways to increase their profits.  One way is to introduce new items.   Sometimes they flood the entire market, but often they use "test areas" (a certain region of the country,a certain state or even a certain city).  Once the testing period is over (around 3 months to a year) teh sales data is evaluated to see if its worth the money to "go national" with it.  If not, the product is discontinued.

Some companies, bring out an entire line of products, but after a few months discontinue the least popular varieties (without notice).  Sometimes they abandon the entire line and try something else (Oroweat is famous for doing this).  Manufactures go on "system wide" sales figures, so even if it sells great in one particular store, sales may be flat several others (resulting in a discontinue of the item).  
    One popular chain store likes to bring in new items but only for a 3 month period.  Many times manufactures pay stores to stock their new items for a trial period.  This particular chain store takes advantage of this to boost their profits.  However, once the trial period is over they discontinue the product(s) regardless of sales. 

If stores get enough customer requests for an item they may start to carry it (providing it's available through their vendor system or they can find a vendor for it).  A happy customer not only spends more money, but they tell their friends (which generates more customers).  While a dissatisfied customer spends less (or goes elsewhere) and will definitely tell their friends aout it (potential lost sales are incalculable).

I haven't even mentioned OTB's (one time buys).  You definitely want to stock up on these.  These may include (but ar not limited to) - seasonal items, bonus packs, trial items (any size), discontinued products (manufacturers clearing out their warehouses at discount prices) or manufacture "blow-outs (sales).
      January 22, 2019 10:13 AM MST

Yeah great to ask if anyone have any idea! I wonder if it is out of fashion there! Lol..
      January 22, 2019 4:09 AM MST

It never disappeared in Australia, I can get it in the confectionary aisle at my local supermarket.

Failing that, it's not difficult to make your own.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24336/butterscotch-candy/
      January 22, 2019 4:31 AM MST