Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If you were among the Federal workers not getting paid, would you be looking for another job?

If you were among the Federal workers not getting paid, would you be looking for another job?

What would you do? 

Posted - January 23, 2019

Responses

• Be sure to add it all to your database.
      January 23, 2019 7:24 PM MST

• You come across as CIA, maybe FBI, but I don't think so.  Yes, I did tweet The Don a few times (true story).  We're gonna have heap big fun. :P
      January 23, 2019 7:52 PM MST

I don't think federal workers knew what they signed up for. I've always considered government jobs to be stable and reliable income. Until recently, not paying federal employees was something that just didn't happen. 

It's hard to say what I would do. I have a family to take care of. By this point, I'd be choosing between feeding my family and putting gas in my car to get to work. I don't know that I'd quit my job at this point, but I'd be taking my vacation time or calling in sick. 
      January 23, 2019 5:54 PM MST

They shouldn't be pawns in an asinine political battle. Let's let those 700,000 dreamers get immunity first. Don't get me started or I will become incoherent. (more than usual.)
      January 23, 2019 6:00 PM MST

But would you at least be looking for other employment, now, given the uncertainty of avoiding more of the same? 
      January 23, 2019 6:30 PM MST

I'm a cautiously optimistic person. The hiring process takes a considerable amount of time, usually anywhere from a couple weeks to months depending on the size of the employer and their internal process. Chances are by the time I got hired and took the job, I would already be receiving paychecks again. The only benefit would be to avoid missing out on pay again in the future. That being said, I have my doubts Trump will be re-elected. If I loved my job, I would try to wait it out and hope it didn't happen again. If it happened another time, particularly if Trump was re-elected, I would probably find a new employer. 
      January 24, 2019 2:16 PM MST

Good points all
      January 24, 2019 3:07 PM MST

Hello Don
    I have mixed feelings about this...
    First, the federal Governments purpose is not to supply jobs to millions of people for the sake of employment
    There are, depending on your reading of the constitution, some 30 enumerated powers of the federal government, yet we have over 500 different federal agencies.
    A non essential employee should probably not be employed. 
    Second, as Element99 said, it is the responsibility of the worker to put a little something away for a "rainy day". I value security more than I value new cars and large screen t.v's, so I have made sure to have enough saved to last a year for 'just in case'. to do this I have kept my expenses down, I have never bought a new car, I own no large screen t.v's or the newest gadgets and devices because I have chosen not to spend all my money on 'stuff', but rather save it. If these government workers have failed to set aside enough to take them through a period of no income, that is on them...if after missing 1 check you have to rely on food banks, well, you haven't prepared very well.
    Personally, I would give it a few months and if there is no resolution I would of course find another job..
    Life is not guaranteed to be fair, things happen. It is our responsibility to be prepared for it.
    Of course I have sympathy for anyone who suffers for whatever reason.
    I do believe that any branch of service is most certainly essential and should not have been furloughed, as well as national security This post was edited by designer at January 24, 2019 8:09 AM MST
      January 23, 2019 6:30 PM MST

Well said, Designer, and it is the nature of those mixed feelings that gave rise to my question. 
    No one wants to walk away from their livelihood, their comfort and security, absent a more certain future. But we might agree the future has become noticeably more uncertain in these fields given the current turbulent climate, so is there a point of reckoning, when enough is enough? 
      January 23, 2019 6:42 PM MST

Hello again Don.
    Being in agreement with the idea of Federalism, I see the federal government as bloated and in need of a strict diet. 
    I will again say that anyone who is essential to the operation of the legitimate function of our federal government (security) should not have been furloughed and should immediately be put back to work and receive their payment for such service, and for them, enough has been enough. For all other non-essential workers I agree  that the future is uncertain, as it was for "buggy whip manufactures" back in that time, and those people who made those devices had to adapt for the future.
    I would add that for these non-essential employees any unemployment and benefits accrued to date should also be paid if those jobs do not come back and job training should be provided..to satisfy any contractual obligations so that they might prepare for a different future. 

January 23, 2019 7:12 PM MST

There is much we agree on here.

Jobs are seldom guaranteed in the civilian workforce, why should they expected to be in govt. The govt is bloated, costs too much, wastes too much. A downsizing of some sort may have been inevitable. 
    That said, getting screwed so unfairly the way those people are now, should serve notice to all that what was once considered secure can no longer be presumed as such. My heart goes out to each of them and their families. 
    A sad state of affairs, to be sure, but ask any civilian contract or factory worker what this is like. 
      January 23, 2019 7:32 PM MST

Yes there is..
    Although things may indeed be inevitable, we should do our best to make sure those things are done in a way that is not unconscionable 
    Thank you for presenting this question, it is an important one which deserves consideration
      January 23, 2019 7:40 PM MST

• sure 

stripping is my true calling anyway 
      January 23, 2019 7:04 PM MST

From what I’ve heard, the Secret Service are frequent patrons of such talents. 
      January 23, 2019 7:06 PM MST

• so i guess you could say i'm still working for the government 
      January 23, 2019 7:26 PM MST

And soldiers and sailors.
      January 24, 2019 8:11 AM MST

The Secret Service can't afford those talents RN, they're not being paid either.
      January 24, 2019 6:26 PM MST

Are government jobs unionized? EVERYBODY OUT!

A nationwide strike might just force a partial reopening. What if the Secret Service detail charged with protecting the President decided to just down tools and walk?

Personally, if I was ordered to work without pay, I'd tell the person giving that instruction to go f**k him- or herself. I'm sitting on my derriere until my pay cheque is guaranteed.
      January 23, 2019 7:15 PM MST

Essential gov workers are not allowed to strike.
      January 23, 2019 7:36 PM MST

Any if they just don't turn up for work? Can even cite a valid reason - can't afford gas/fares.
      January 23, 2019 9:50 PM MST

There is the risk of termination. Especially now that the shut down has reached 30 days.
      January 24, 2019 4:19 AM MST

Fired from a job that pays nothing. Big fat hairy deal. Qualifies for unemployment and the government will rehire them when Trump's hissy fit is over, it's cheaper than going through the whole dreary recruitment process again.
    "I can't come to work, I have no money to buy gasoline/bus fare". Perfectly legit. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 24, 2019 7:00 PM MST
      January 24, 2019 6:23 PM MST

They will get all their pay. 
    There is a long list of people wanting those jobs, you do not just get it back. And if they did hire you back you would be a new hire and lose all seniority and benefits that come with that. This post was edited by my2cents at January 25, 2019 5:07 AM MST
      January 25, 2019 5:02 AM MST

And in the meantime? Starve? Get evicted? Some of those workers have a poor credit history or none, banks won't look at them for short term loans.
      January 26, 2019 1:44 AM MST

Banks will work with someone who has a guaranteed wage coming. I am willing to bet there is a Federal credit union that is tied into the gov where the repay would come directly out of the employee's paycheck. 
      January 26, 2019 9:00 AM MST