Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Condolences to those of you living in the Midwest/Northest freeze zone. Chicago is slated to get to 25 BELOW ZERO. Wanna move to California?

Condolences to those of you living in the Midwest/Northest freeze zone. Chicago is slated to get to 25 BELOW ZERO. Wanna move to California?

Today's high temp in Hemet (southern California in the Inland Empire) is projected to be 77. I kid you not. Y'all come on down ya hear? We have plenty of room for you and we welcome you. How soon can you leave?

Posted - January 28, 2019

Responses

It's supposed to be -36˚ on Wednesday morning.

I've been to California once and I really enjoyed visiting but I'm just not interested in moving anywhere else.  I love my farmhouse in the country too much.

Also, If I moved to Southern California my snow people would miss me.  That would be sad. 

January 28, 2019 5:33 PM MST

Hi Liv! Howya doin'? I love your snow people. I couldn't leave them either. Wow 36 below?  Do you have to go out in it? Does the car when it gets that cold? Yikes and gadzooks.  Wherever home is...there is no place like. I can't imagine leaving southern California either. Most of my memories are here. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) ((hugs))
      January 29, 2019 1:40 AM MST

I'm a stay-at-home mom so I don't have to drive anywhere for work but I do have to go out to the barn and milk the cows and feed the animals but I'm not going to freeze to death between the house and the barn.  It's not that long of a walk.  My horses, cows and my mule get to stay in the barn when it gets this cold because the barn has some heat in it.  My cats and dogs aren't going outside either but if the dogs need to go outside I'll take them out so they can do what they need to do.

My car, my pickup truck and my husband's car will all start because we have them plugged in.  This is probably something completely foreign to people from southern California; cars in this part of the country come with plugs under the hood so we use extension cords to plug them into a regular 60 hz 120 V outlet and that's what gets the cars started when it gets this cold.  At this temperature a car battery doesn't have enough charge to start a car.  Also, if you drive something that has a diesel engine you'll either need to use diesel 1 or use anti-gel if you have diesel 2 in the tank because it's way below the freezing point of diesel 2.  At about 8˚F diesel 2 freezes and turns into wax so if that happens the driver won't be going anywhere. This post was edited by Livvie at January 30, 2019 5:49 AM MST
      January 29, 2019 11:43 AM MST

Thank you so much for a most excellent and informative reply Liv. I did not know much of what you just wrote and because of you now I do! Happy Wednesday m'dear! :)
      January 30, 2019 5:50 AM MST

A good time to make a naked snow angel.

January 28, 2019 5:50 PM MST

If I were to take you literally wouldn't you die Ele? How long can a naked body last in that kind of weather lying down in the snow? We moved to California when I was 3 and I do remember making snow angels in Michigan but I was all warm and cozy in my snowsuit. And I KNOW it wasn't that freezing cold. Anyway stay warm m'dear. Does your car start in such cold weather? We lived in Massachusetts for 5 years and I remember going out to start the volksie and I couldn't get the key in the door to unlock. I called my husband who was at work and he told me to get a bowl of hot water and a sponge and just put in on the lock until it unfroze. It worked. But then I tried to start the car and it wouldn't. So I called him again. He was an auto mechanic. He told me to open the back and there was a little doohickey that I should move manually. Now this was 50 years ago so I don't remember the name of it. But I did as he said and then the car did start. Boy that was adventure. My least favorite most scary thing about the winters there was driving on black ice. We had some n'oreasters we experienced but I never experienced such cold weather as you are experiencing. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! KEEP WARM! :)
      January 29, 2019 1:47 AM MST

Actually, I did make one about five years ago. It was 20F out, but no wind. I wouldn't think of doing it now. We have two cars, but mine is still snowbound. Pat is at work and I have nowhere to go anyway.
      January 29, 2019 7:02 AM MST

How far did Pat have to go to get to work? Very close by I hope. Stay warm kiddoo. Stay home! How long is that subzero blast supposed to last anyway? Did they say?
      January 29, 2019 7:03 AM MST

• I wouldn't want to be in California even if the temp  was 50 below. You're no better off with wildfires, mudslides and earthquakes, although much of California's problems are man made.
      January 28, 2019 6:53 PM MST

Different strokes. Thank you for your reply.
      January 29, 2019 7:02 AM MST

• haha the over reaction to California fires and earthquakes.  That wacky media frenzy...  Nor CaL is beautiful.  I'd love to live out of state, but not for those reasons.   This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 29, 2019 11:52 AM MST
      January 29, 2019 11:51 AM MST

Our furnace is acting up. The repair guy came out last week and we thought fixed it. But we woke up to a blank thermostat again so they will be back again today. 
    We have electric heaters and a wood fireplace so we will make it regardless. But the furnace is better. 
    We will have -1 temp tomorrow....brrr.

But no, not interested in moving to CA. Maybe TX (Red state) or FL (Purple state help it move red)
      January 29, 2019 7:19 AM MST