Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The puppet boy signals support of states teaching courses in the Bible in public schools. WHY NOT COURSES IN COMPARATIVE RELIGION?

The puppet boy signals support of states teaching courses in the Bible in public schools. WHY NOT COURSES IN COMPARATIVE RELIGION?

Too dangerous to be fair? No interest in anything other than your religion? Limited knowledge is safer and better because well ya never know another religion might offer something yours doesn't and oh my gosh how evil is that? We get it. Your way or the highway right? Where did we hear that before?

Posted - January 30, 2019

Responses

I'm not in favor of religion being taught in school until at least high school level and only comparative religions.  There shouldn't be a focus on only one or two religions.
      January 30, 2019 8:58 AM MST

Bingo! It's the same as teaching language in my opinion except that it focuses on different beliefs beliefs in a higher power. The more you know the better it is. In my opinion. There is no state religion or LEGALLY government-supported religion.  A knowledge of most of them can't hurt anyone. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 31, 2019 1:44 AM MST

Although I am an atheist, I think it would be very beneficial for people to learn about different religions.  It might just make us more accepting of people who are different from us because we have a better understanding as to why they believe the way they do.

January 31, 2019 9:39 AM MST

Well if Trump has it his way certain lessons won't be taught like that one about how it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then a rich man getting into Heaven. Cheers! 
      January 30, 2019 10:01 AM MST

The puppet boy will probably force the military to accompany him to heave to force his way beyond the Pearly Gates. I wonder if puppet boy ever even thinks of that? Doubtful. Thank you for your reply Nanoose and Happy Thursday!  :)
      January 31, 2019 1:46 AM MST

• Look people, you can say what you want, but in my twenty years in law enforcement, which took me in and out of jails almost daily, I never had an inmate tell me they were locked up because someone shared a scripture with them. I never heard anyone complain that prayer caused them to make the wrong decisions in life and land them in lockup. I never heard troubles blamed on the singing of a hymn or a Sunday School teacher sharing the precepts of the Sermon on the Mount or the Golden Rule. What I did hear was: If I had been TAUGHT(anything worthwhile) before I was SOUGHT and CAUGHT, I wouldn't be here. 
      January 30, 2019 10:10 AM MST

They didn't necessarily need to taught scripture to stay on the straight and narrow.  I'm sure there are plenty of people in jail whose parents or grandparents took them to Church regularly. 
      January 30, 2019 10:53 AM MST

:):):)
      January 31, 2019 1:46 AM MST

• As long as the class is optional, I don't have a problem, but I would prefer a comparative religion class than a "Bible literacy" class. Not to mention, whose Bible literacy? Catholics and Protestants read the Bible in some very key different ways. 
      January 30, 2019 10:13 AM MST

Good point NevanB. I agree completely with your reply. Knowledge of others' beliefs or languages or culture can't hurt you if you are curious about them and want to learn about them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 31, 2019 1:48 AM MST

The classes are optional and the Bible is being taught as literature and historical purposes. 
    Comparative Religion classes are taught everywhere. My son in taking that class currently, he is a high school senior. This post was edited by my2cents at January 30, 2019 10:39 AM MST
      January 30, 2019 10:37 AM MST

Christianity is the only religion where someone will preach the idea that God made him president. 
      January 30, 2019 11:42 AM MST

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Good one Kg!. Well priorly some pols have said God told them to run. Some Republican gal said that out loud years ago. and she sure sounded serious about it! I forget her name. Of course Televangelicals tell you that God talks to them all the time so there ya go! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 31, 2019 1:50 AM MST