Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What is a valuable life lesson you learned from a movie?

What is a valuable life lesson you learned from a movie?

Never fall for the whole creepy clown inviting you down into the storm drain act?

Posted - January 30, 2019

Responses

I doubt if I've learned any life lessons from any movies.

The problem is, I don't see them as representing reality. Even though they are enough like real life to seem plausible - and need to be or they wouldn't work as fiction - very often they over-dramatise, twist and misrepresent the norms of our world, or grossly exaggerate them. Of course they do. High emotion, conflict and the breaking of rules and norms are the sources of what is most riveting in entertainment. Even truthful stories are selected because of their exceptional or abnormal attributes.

I do learn from news and documentaries. For instance, I've never tried heroin or ice. What I've seen in documentaries and heard on the news of the effects of these drugs has always been enough to ensure that I have no desire to try them.
      January 30, 2019 1:12 PM MST

Gone Baby Gone

If your parents are junkies, get your butt out of there and even onto the streets as soon as you can feed yourself from a garbage can.  Trust no one.
      January 30, 2019 1:14 PM MST

• Definitely a useful lesson
      January 30, 2019 1:47 PM MST

• If you travel back to 1955, don’t get hit by a car. Cos one of your parents might develop a crush on you and your hand will start to disappear while playing that earth angel song at a dance. And that’s a very good song ,so that would suck.

January 30, 2019 1:44 PM MST

• *punches out your date and dances with you*

Earttth Angel...will you be minnnnneeeee
      January 30, 2019 1:48 PM MST

• Well i don’t know how’s great this date is  gonna be with your hand disappearing and all. But okay! :)
      January 30, 2019 1:50 PM MST

• Oh that's begging for a dirty joke to be made but I'm going to restrain, haha. 
      January 30, 2019 1:52 PM MST

• Lol yeah ;) i was just worried I’f  have to rush you to hospital for the hand ... get your mind out of the gutter :O
      January 30, 2019 1:54 PM MST

• I have permanent real estate in the gutter

January 30, 2019 1:59 PM MST

• I just asked a question so we can get non gutter ideas for our date. Gawd, I have to do everything :/ 
      January 30, 2019 2:00 PM MST

• Lock doors and windows at all times! Never answer a random knock at the door!

January 30, 2019 2:07 PM MST

• Maybe lock the bathroom door while showering as well?
      January 30, 2019 2:09 PM MST

• ABSOLUTELY i ALWAYS DO:)
      January 30, 2019 2:10 PM MST

To always stay focused and never let anyone frame you for stealing a scene  :) D 
      January 30, 2019 4:47 PM MST

("IT' really scared me -- the made-for-TV movie with Tim Curry as that clown; I've not seen the remake.)

I was probably too young to have watched "The Birds" - - my parents did not know I watched it.

This scene -- very memorable and very uncomfortable to me as a child. I was shocked at this little scene. I realized that adults say unfair and cruel things to each other, a life lesson? 
    After a scary-to-me scene with the birds, then this happens? In some ways, this scene may have scared me more than anything in the movie.

(And, yet, both 'Melanie Daniels' and this woman -- they both seem out-of-control and immediately regret their actions -- I can't explain my point, I guess -- the scene impacted my young viewing experience and the scene was very uncomfortable yet very human and real and honest.)

January 30, 2019 6:21 PM MST

• Filmed at Bodega Bay, one of my favorite places.  I love Nor Cal, no matter how much I complain.
      January 31, 2019 7:49 AM MST

Funny you mention that. Fro quite a while I have been meaning ot ask you if you had been to Bodega and Bodega Bay since you've mentioned the area where you live more than once.

I traveled to California, USA once. And I visited all the (I assume) usual tourist places --  Hollywood, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Cruz, that famous highway along the coast, etc. Yet, I adored my trek to Bodega and Bodega Bay. I foudn Bodega more beautiful than any of the other places. I lvoed all of California adn found it al lbeautiful but, for soem reason, the terrain in northern-ish Claifornia too k my breath away.
      January 31, 2019 8:01 AM MST

• I agree, Welby.   I have been all over Cali, but Bodega Bay (and the Carmel coast much further south) are two of my most favorite places.  Yosemite, too.   
      January 31, 2019 8:06 AM MST

I didn't go to Yosemite.
    :(
    I think I may have passed that Carmel area -- would I have passed it, along the coast, driving north toward Bodega Bay from Los Angeles and San Francisco? Or is that area even more south than those areas?
      January 31, 2019 2:01 PM MST

• Yes, you would have passed it if you drove along the coast.   Carmel is sort of between Big Sur and Santa Cruz, just below Monterey.
      January 31, 2019 2:06 PM MST

That would have been the way we went. I remember some absolutely gorgeous areas driving north.
      January 31, 2019 2:18 PM MST

• The Pacific Coast Highway does indeed show some of California's most beautiful coastline.
      January 31, 2019 2:22 PM MST

A boring walk in the outdoors is more beneficial to me than sitting in the dark for two hours watching a screen. 
      January 31, 2019 8:12 AM MST