Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » When was the last time you used a payphone and who did you call?

When was the last time you used a payphone and who did you call?

Posted - January 30, 2019

Responses

My husband.
    I had just tried to pay for fuel for the van and my card refused it - which meant I'd run out of money.
    I tried using my mobile, and the account was out for the same reason.
    Fortunately, hubby was home and able to help.
      January 30, 2019 1:00 PM MST

I really couldn't say anymore....it's to long ago to remember........I've had a mobile phone since I was twelve or even younger....I vaguely think I've used a pay phone sometime in the past ,but can't think of who I've called oreven what we talked about.....:( 
      January 30, 2019 1:01 PM MST

I used to have this insane recurring dream in the late 80's where I would desperately need a payphone and they would not work.  They would be out of order or non-existent.   I was a visionary.

January 30, 2019 1:09 PM MST

• It’s been a million years since I’ve used one, but my best guess would be to call a taxi. I only really remember using them to call a cab from somewhere. 
      January 30, 2019 1:42 PM MST

I never used one.  I don't remember ever seeing an actual payphone IRL but I've seen some phone booths without a phone in some really old places.
      January 30, 2019 1:48 PM MST

So many of our rural red telephone phone box's are now little libraries and people fill then with books for others to take and share.....it's really nice to see them being used that way...ive never looked to see if the phones are still in them.  
      January 30, 2019 2:05 PM MST

(boxes)

No apostrophe.
      January 30, 2019 8:02 PM MST

But those little dash'y fings look so pretty and I don't get to use um much....:( 
      January 31, 2019 2:10 PM MST

I think it was to call my parents to pick me up. I was stranded at a mall and they had payphones, and I didn't have any money but I knew the call ATT carrot top commercials. So I called collect and got a ride home. I was 11 or 12, so this would have been 2001 or 2002.

This is a story I'll tell people in my retirement home even when they don't ask.
      January 30, 2019 1:57 PM MST

• When my Uncle was in the hospital after being hit by a car. Cell phone battery dead:(  At least I had a phone card and could use the payphone with my pin number and call my sister, 2005.
      January 30, 2019 2:22 PM MST

• It was probably at an airport to call a cab or a hotel shuttle before we had mobile phones.  That was eons ago.  Up until a year or so ago, I noticed payphones at some Walmarts. 

I love seeing teens trying to figure out rotary phones ... lol!
      January 30, 2019 3:09 PM MST

• Lol! That’s hilarious :)
      January 30, 2019 3:11 PM MST

• High Tech stuff ... lol!
      January 30, 2019 3:25 PM MST

LMAO I wonder if they ever figured it out. I thought for sure the girl was going to get it. She was so excited. 
      January 30, 2019 6:14 PM MST

I'll bet it's been close to 20 years ago, and was probably when I left my cell at home and had to call my office when my pager went off. 

Remember pagers? 
      January 30, 2019 7:50 PM MST

About a week ago.  I only had my car keys with me and had forgotten my house key (long story). No one was at home, and my cell phone wasn't working (even longer story), so I brain-stormed.  Payphones are as scarce as tilde-dispensing machines, but I remembered that due to all the tourists here, train stations still have payphones.  I drove to one, and the day was saved!

~
      January 30, 2019 7:59 PM MST