Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » What do you remember about 'the good ol' days'?

What do you remember about 'the good ol' days'?

Posted - January 30, 2019

Responses

I remember plastic sheets that you stuck to the front of your black and white TV screen. The sheets had a green strip at the bottom a orange strip in the middle and a blue strip at the top. Back then hardly anybody had a color TV so we thought they were pretty cool. Cheers!
      January 30, 2019 6:59 PM MST

• Oh goodness, I remember SO many amazing things...   Space Food Sticks, the fun game show Treasure Hunt, Chicken Delight, stereo consoles that were huge, but one of my favorite things was going to a phone booth and dialing "876" and the last four digits of the phone number, hanging up on the first ring, and about a second or two later the phone would ring back.  Hide in a bush and watch some innocent passerby answer the phone, and we'd crack up and move to the next phone booth, rinse and repeat...    And my Schwinn.  Hopping on my Schwinn early in the morning during summer vacation and riding around town with my friends, not coming home until we were hungry.    Good Times!!! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 31, 2019 6:58 AM MST
      January 30, 2019 7:17 PM MST

Walking 2 miles to a one room country school.  Some. Sometimes took a horse & buggy or sleigh in winter but it was actually less trouble just to walk.
      January 30, 2019 9:36 PM MST

I'm not sure when those were? 
      January 30, 2019 11:26 PM MST

• I remember my Dad getting his first Hi-Fi Stereo console in the 60's.  He bought some demonstration records to showcase the stereo speakers.  They were recordings of trains and planes and all sorts of music and every day sounds .. pretty cool!  Of course, I took that over playing my Beatles albums!!  

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 31, 2019 1:39 PM MST
      January 31, 2019 4:39 AM MST

Lack of computers and mobile phones meant people spent much more time in direct conversation and were far more skilled at doing it well.
      January 31, 2019 6:29 AM MST

That is for sure. Hard for me to understand that people have supposedly complete relationships now entirely over the net - from attraction to falling for someone to "cheating" to breaking up and being hurt - and they never meet face to face!
      January 31, 2019 6:52 AM MST

Hope.
      January 31, 2019 6:53 AM MST

Going to my grandparents' house on Sundays. We'd have an amazing meal and play with our cousins and then watch The Waltons or Wonderful World of Disney.  

I also remember dreading it when I got older (teen) and coming up with excuses to get out of going. I remember going less and less frequently. 

Almost all of them are now either deceased or have fallen out of touch for various reasons. I miss my family. 
      January 31, 2019 8:51 AM MST

Television viewing time came to an end.  We only had four channels.

Comedy greats, before political correctness ruined comedy...

Dads Army

Spike Milligan

Les Dawson, Kenny Everett, The two Ronnies, The Young Ones, Tommy Cooper.

Bagpuss.

This post was edited by kjames at January 31, 2019 5:28 PM MST
      January 31, 2019 3:17 PM MST