Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In some folk's world a word that's spelled incorrectly is a NATIONAL TRAGEDY , EMERGENCY, TRAVESTY, INDIGNITY and TREASONOUS. Your world?

In some folk's world a word that's spelled incorrectly is a NATIONAL TRAGEDY , EMERGENCY, TRAVESTY, INDIGNITY and TREASONOUS. Your world?

Posted - January 31, 2019

Responses

Grammar nazis.  

I hate to admit it, but I was once one of those.  I had to point out every misspelled word, every misplaced comma, and every misuse of "there, their, and there're".  Was I trying to be superior?  No.  I simply wanted to educate the "ignorant".  Thanks to carpal tunnel and a damaged computer keyboard, my grammar "skills" began to slip (unintentionally).   Soon, I became the target of other grammar nazis. HOw did I react?  Let's just say I used an expletive.   But wait a sec... if that's what I thought about them, then what had others thought about me when I did it?  The shoe was on the other foot... and it was way too small to walk in. (ouch!)

While poor grammar and misspellings still bother me (grr), I am learning to let them slide (unless I can make fun of it).  Yes, I believe adult people should know how to use the word "there" properly, but since they obviously no longer teach that in schools.....  
      January 31, 2019 10:58 AM MST

Makes you wonder if people actually make it all the way threw school anymore.  That is one of my big pet peeves. 
      January 31, 2019 11:14 AM MST

As I've said for years (joined Answerbag in 2005 and moved to  Answermug when Answerbag shutdown) I ws an English major. I KNOW what is proper. So what? Folks do not come to an internet social site to corrected or insulted or embarrassed or ridiculed. They come here to engage in conversation. This is not a school or a job or a publishing firm. English is not the first language of many people. Also the ability to spell has ZERO to do with intelligence. ZERO. If I can understand what someone says I don't have to be a schmuck and correct any errors. If I don't understand I ask for clarification without being an a**.  In fact I have so incensed at the  grammar nazis I began my campaign of driving them crazy by purposeful making up of my owns or spelling other words as I saw fit. Which is why you will often see "AIN'T" or  "STOOPID". I dangle my prepositions with great joy.  Language is not dead. It is viable. It is simply a tool we use to express out thoughts and communicate with one another.  To get anal about form and ignore content to me is beyond stoopid dumb! I think folks who do that are supercilious condescending arrogant boors. Always have. Always will. I'm glad I didn't meet you when you were one of them Shuhak. Having the shoe on the other foot is most bestest way (there you see I just did it again) to learn a lesson. Endure and experience from others what you dished out once upon time when you were ignorant about such things. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thy! :)
      February 1, 2019 2:28 AM MST

I try not to be too worried in an informal situation like this forum, where some members may anyway not be native speakers, in which case all credit to them for speaking my language (or the American version) better than I can speak theirs. I make spelling or grammatical mistakes too, and do not always spot I have done so.

My speech is usually fairly informal or colloquial although I still try to speak reasonably well, and refuse to affect Americanisms (as a Briton living in Britain), use as metaphors technical terms I would show myself as clearly not understanding,  or to swear gratuitously: all things some feel compulsory.

It annoys me when and where I would expect the speaker or, more, writer, to be able to take a pride in a good standard of English, without being stilted; and to do so.

The worst offenders? Business managers, many of whom affect a strange lingo full of "...  'levvering' thinking outside boxes going forward in planning an exciting new hub at the epicentre of...", and so on. I know the engineering adjective "leverage" and verb "levering", and a young hare is a "leveret" (hard "e")... but "levveridging"? Also, do they really want to be at an epicentre...?

The best speakers? Senior military officers and judges. NOT as a matter of accent - most have at least traces of their regional accents - but by clarity, concision and lack of prevarication or swarms of "Umms, Errs and Likes". They need this skill so as to convey potentially difficult orders or information to a very large range of people of all abilities and educational standards.

January 31, 2019 11:36 AM MST

Thank  you for your reply Durdle. Different strokes for different folks. You take the high road and I'll take the low rod and I'll get to Scotland afore ye. SIGH.
      February 1, 2019 2:30 AM MST

Oh, please don't I'd want to cramp other's literary style, though I feel that the more literate you are, the better you can persuade others of your message; and the less likely you are to be fooled by others. You can also be more constructive with the language, rather than just destructive, and even have fun with it!

I'm probably the sort advertisers and publicity-agents hate, because I do not read their slogans and cliches in the spirit intended! 
      February 1, 2019 1:14 PM MST