Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever hear of ANAL CHARACTER? Do you know one or could you be one?

Ever hear of ANAL CHARACTER? Do you know one or could you be one?

ANAL CHARACTER

A group of personality traits including meticulousness, compulsiveness and rigidity believed to be associated with obsessive preoccupation with the anal phase as a child with effects lingering into adulthood.

The puppet boy is very anal about Russia, his brilliant self-proclaimed superiority and his perfection as he always reminds us. Evidence of ANAL CHARACTER? Heck I dunno. I'm no shrink. But he does seem to be still in the throes of those childish petulant traits tantrums, hissy fits and wanting his way RIGHT NOW. Doesn't he?

Posted - January 31, 2019

Responses

I have, though without the word "character"; and I hope I am not - given it would be someone else using it against me anyway.

I have no use for this word as a character trait, even for someone deeply unpleasant.

Do people still genuinely believe in that (Freudian?) notion? As far as I know, it was abandoned clinically many decades ago.

I have only ever heard the adjective used insultingly, but I would ask why the critic has to be so offensive. Maybe it rebounds upon its user! 
      January 31, 2019 11:50 AM MST

I don't know about that Durdle. Are you familiar with "stream-of-consciousness" writers? They share their thoughts in no particular order at times. I do that. Whatever I think at a given moment I share. Whether you care or others care is not what I am about. It is beyond my ability to edit. Some of it is undoubtedly drivel. Some repetitive. Once in awhile perhaps you might find something of use therein. It is my writing style. Now we all have our favorite authors. We also have writers whose works we never bother reading because they hold nothing for us or they annoy us. I just present myself every day as I am and I tell you what I think. You can accept it reject it or avoid altogether. Your choice. As for your implied insult I shall forgive you that because we have had some very good conversations and therefore I assume more very good conversations may lie ahead. But all you have to do is not show up any more. Again. Your choice. I am always here being me. If that is not your cuppa so be it. Thank you for your reply insulting as it. After all just because one receives rudeness one is not obliged to return it.
      February 1, 2019 2:11 AM MST

Oh dear! I am very sorry I offended you - I had no wish to do that at all.

I was simply criticising in general the use of the word "anal" to insult others, to answer questions I read as being in general; for the very simple reason that however much the epithet may be deserved (usually, it isn't) I think it deeply unpleasant. I accept you have heard it used in other ways, I accept you might use it yourself.

It may clarify my thoughts if I admit that I swear, under stress, but I do not like doing so.  I would have to be really pushed to use certain words even as slang anatomical terms rather than as oaths.

Most of the times I have heard "anal" as a criticism, it was not really in the way you define it. Instead I know it as aimed at strongly-held opposing views, interests or hobbies not those of the critic,  or behaviour that is really just harmless eccentricity. 

I did not take your example into account, only your question at its face value. I know you have only contempt for Donald Trump and I share your concerns over his foreign policies; but I was not trying to comment on that. 

You asked "Ever hear of anal character?"
    I answer: Yes, though usually without the word 'character'; but whilst I appreciate the point of the attack, I happen not to like the phraseology.

You then asked, "Do you know one or could be one?"
    I have met a good many people whom others would describe as "anal" but even if I agree the subject of the criticism deserves it, I would not use that particular adjective. Could I be one? I dare say others have thought me that at times, though I hope not!

Thirdly, you explained its likely etymology - old-fashioned psychology.
    I did not disagree but pointed out that though it may have been once believed by psychologists, I think it has long been superseded by advances in psychological knowledge.

Those are what I was answering. That's all. Please believe that I was not criticising you and I cannot see where you thought I was gratuitously rude to you. I answered two simple questions and the explanation as it seemed to me you'd written them: objective points of discussion.

I took no stance at all on your example (Trump) as his domestic policies are not really my business as a foreigner; and I had no reason to expand my general-point reply by discussing identified individuals. 

So once again, Rosie, I am sorry I offended you, and I assure you that certainly was not my intention.

February 1, 2019 1:50 PM MST

Okey dokey. All is forgiven Durdle. ANAL CHARACTER is in the dictionary. It is from that I took the explanation. I know some folks think it is sexual in nature for whatever peculiar reason they have. I do not and I use in a way that is unflattering of course. The word itself is not a lovely word like clouds or rainbows or cinnamon. You and I already moved on m'dear. On other threads you will see that I harbor no resentment toward thee. Because we have a history of good conversation that I enjoy. But I calls 'em as i sees 'em and always will. If I am NOT entirely honest with you 24/7 how will you know who I am? Right? I don't hold grudges but I always avoid the jerks who just show up to show off. No patience and I get nothing out of it so why would I waste my time engaging with them? So we're good then? :) ((hugs))
      February 2, 2019 7:28 AM MST

Thank you Rosie.

No, I never saw anything sexual in the epithet either.

February 3, 2019 3:49 PM MST

You're welcome Durdle. Some people have sex on the brain. I think that is do to arrested development. Somehow they got stuck in adolescence and are frozen in time as pimply faced teenages whose hormones are raging 24/7 so they are obsessed with sex. Sheesh. Some folks, on the other hand, see everything as political. They carry so much baggage they can't discern what exists outside themselves and what they contribute. More's the pity! I think I shall ask a question about it. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at February 4, 2019 2:23 AM MST
      February 4, 2019 2:22 AM MST

Oh yes, I'd taken their problem or calling them "anal" as nothing to do with sex; though I agree a lot of supposed adults are so only physically.

I think many of the ones with the excess baggage have closed, insecure minds, unable or refusing to comprehend alternative views or ways of doing things.
      February 4, 2019 10:36 AM MST

I guess that's why the gaslighter-in-chief targeted them. Why they stick with him and will never abandon him. They are unequipped to think for themselves. They want a daddy dearest who will protect them, make them feel safe and take care of anyone who tries to enlighten them. Symbiotic relationship. Feed off one another. Not my cuppa tea but it sure seems to be working for them. More's the pity! Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Monday! So I'm kinda taking a break today. Need a brief respite. Will watch a coupla news shows early evening. For all I know we are at war. I awaken every day wondering if that is what I will see on the news. Today at this minute I don't  give a  rat's a** what the gaslighter-in-chief does or says nor how his toady sycophants will make it seem to be BRILLIANT! I am so sick of all of them ! SIGH! The aftermath of his SOD (State of Delusion) speech should be interesting. I will not watch or listen to it. I will watch a couple of shows that deal with it later. He literalLY makes mE physically ill. I have to mute him whenever I hear him. Oy VEY! SHEESH. Whatta revoltin' development that is!  SIGH!  :(
      February 4, 2019 11:30 AM MST

Yes. Never with the word character. 

Only as a way to call someone an "a******e" relating to a certain topic. Being a stickler for the rules on something. 
    The first time I heard it a lady I was working within a factory was explaining how to do something. And she said "I know, I can be kind of anal about it. But I am who has to fix it after you screw it up."
      February 4, 2019 10:48 AM MST

Nice to know your colleagues have faith in your work and won't discourage you, isn't it!
      February 4, 2019 4:14 PM MST

Lol. I was a new temp employee at the time. 
      February 4, 2019 6:59 PM MST