Discussion » Questions » Weather » why theres snow in usa and canada, but not in Europe ?

why theres snow in usa and canada, but not in Europe ?

theres a thing i dont get much. when i look at a world's map, i see canada up there and we have snow, but in europe, they are around the same height , but from what they say about it, europe barely get snow during winters. by talking about europe, i mean france, germany, england, etc.

Posted - February 2, 2019

Responses

• My English boyfriend says they hardly ever see snow.  As a result the country is so unprepared when a couple of inches of snow falls like yesterday!  He barely could drive home because many roads were not treated or scraped. He loves to see snow usually, yesterday was not one of those days lol :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 2, 2019 6:40 PM MST
      February 2, 2019 5:13 PM MST

It's because US Brits are not so Flacky over here ,if you get my Drift......:)D
      February 2, 2019 5:54 PM MST

• I think there are certainly parts of Europe that get lots of snow ... the Nordic countries, parts of Germany, Switzerland and more.  We just don't hear about it that much in the US.
      February 2, 2019 6:44 PM MST

What countries in Europe? Austria, Switzterland, Germany, Russia get plenty of snow. Countries closer to the ocean get less. You are making a generalization. Canadia gets lots of snow, too.
      February 2, 2019 6:45 PM MST

• Winds and ocean currents are the main reasons Europe is warmer than North America at equivalent latitudes. 
      February 2, 2019 7:04 PM MST

America has two massive oceans ,the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes....you also have two massive high mountain ranges to make the clouds drop their water......Europe is lower down than Canada and the top states of America...
    You also have the trade winds to contend with plus the effects of El Nino when the cold ocean currents change....both these factors change global weather patterns quickly ,plus are so hard to predict....
      February 2, 2019 7:26 PM MST

Why? Because northern lights. The northern lights are like neon: gases at low pressure glow when an electric current passes through. The electric current is commonly called solar wind. The Earth has a magnetic field, and when a current passes through a magnetic field it causes motion of whatever carries the current. Air carries the current, so there is a wind around the north pole. It always blows west to east, sorta. A lot of things can deflect it. When the deflection is very noticeable, like now, it is called a polar vortex and it can make your winter quite adventurous. That is to say there is some chance a lot of people will have near death experiences.
      February 2, 2019 11:08 PM MST

I think it's snowing now in Belgium.
      February 3, 2019 7:10 PM MST