Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are your feelings on the Gillette "Best a Man Can Be" commercial?

What are your feelings on the Gillette "Best a Man Can Be" commercial?

Appropriate? 
Inappropriate? 
Why or why not?
Discuss.

Posted - February 4, 2019

Responses

I did not understand the message. I saw a bunch of visual clichés but no clear meaning.
      February 5, 2019 4:10 AM MST

Naturally, their main objective will be commercial; and, as the YouTube comments show, much can be said against other practices of this company and its parent company.

But it's positively recognizing an important issue.
      February 5, 2019 5:17 AM MST

1. I had heard a LOT about it since it first aired, it was the topic for two or three days straight on the morning radio show that I listen to on the way to work.  I finally saw it just now on your post.

2.  I want to grab a plate and fill it up on that barbeque line-up! I could practically smell the smoke right through the screen! 

3.  I need to buy some razors, I'm almost out.  Thanks, Gillette, for reminding me! 

~
      February 5, 2019 5:22 AM MST

I don’t know if it will help sell many razors, but I do see the ad as a commentary on traditional norms of “manly“ behavior. 
    To me, it suggests a rethinking of male role modeling, of behavior toward and in respect of the dignity of the other half of the species.
    I can’t say I find the message inappropriate (some of the behaviors exemplified certainly are), and I agree there is more to be read into the tag line, “The Best a Man Can Be” than just whether he has a clean shave or not. I would say the ad digs into that idea. This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 5, 2019 6:22 PM MST
      February 5, 2019 6:10 AM MST

• I saw it as a corporation trying to stir the pot in an attempt to give their company name some exposure that would hopefully generate sales.  More than likely it worked.  As far as the content of the ad goes I think it was written more for the benefit of women than men. 
      February 5, 2019 10:13 AM MST

They can do what they want.  But I think each man has to decide for himself what is the "best" he can be.  And just what that means. 

What about the "best" a woman can be? 
      February 5, 2019 10:37 AM MST

I think it was a great message.  Men helping other men make a change for the better. 
      February 5, 2019 5:55 PM MST

I'd heard about it, but your post is the first time I've seen it. 

I know it's just a a commercial, but I think it's powerful and very appropriate. 

Now that I've seen it, I am disappointed that I read so many negative remarks about it from people on social media. I can't understand how anyone disagrees with a message about treating others with kindness and respect. 
      February 5, 2019 6:33 PM MST

Not offensive, just lame and silly. A half-baked idea poorly executed, with badly-written lines. 

I watched some Wilkinson Sword ads for contrast showing "stereotypical" male behaviour and found them much more inspiring.
      February 7, 2019 1:12 PM MST