Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Child care/elder care. What are some specific things that are similar about the two? (See examples below.)

Child care/elder care. What are some specific things that are similar about the two? (See examples below.)

For instance:

Eating habits, the need to be fed, the need to cook for them, cleaning them up after eating

Sleeping habits, setting bedtimes, monitoring while they sleep, being awakened by them frequently, avoiding bedwetting

Selecting their clothing, dressing them, helping them dress, tying their shoes, etc, etc.

Avoiding getting lost or wandering away in public, aiding them crossing streets, etc, etc. 

Protection from strangers, scammers

Toilet habits ('nuff said)

Taking care of them financially, overseeing finances, setting aside money for them, setting an allowance, etc, etc. 

~

Posted - February 7, 2019

Responses

Holding their hand is a good idea. :  )
      February 7, 2019 7:38 AM MST

• "Babysitting" while running errands.

February 7, 2019 8:10 AM MST

You nailed most of them. When I was providing my mom's care, I was seriously tempted to buy her one of those clocks that show a picture of a sun when it's time to get up and one of a moon when it's time to be in bed. She liked to start her day at 3-4 am and, although we eventually set a compromise for me to get her out of bed at 5am, she'd often forget to look at the clock or she'd decide it was wrong. 

My youngest was 3-4 at the time I was taking care of her. She was wayyyy more demanding than even he was. I ended up getting a baby monitor for her, so I could hear when she needed me. Literally every 30-45 minutes throughout the day. 

I think the only things I can think of that haven't been covered are balancing autonomy with safety and knowing when to argue versus when to just let them fail at something. 
      February 7, 2019 2:14 PM MST

You have nailed it
      February 7, 2019 3:16 PM MST

Kids behave badly at restaurants.  Unfortunately, Grandma also behaves badly at restaurants.  

That one trip to Culver's with Grandma is something my family will never forget no matter how much Mom and Dad want us to forget it.
      February 7, 2019 4:23 PM MST

I never had one of my 4 kids behave badly at a restaurant - Socialization starts at home.  Not one of my dogs over the years has behaved poorly at a restaurant - socialization starts at home.

They all know misbehavior is not allowed and we will leave with hell to pay at home if behavior is not acceptable.  do not kids are allowed to be kids within limits
      February 7, 2019 6:53 PM MST