Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Have you ever seen a 3D printer in action.

Have you ever seen a 3D printer in action.

I haven't but I'd really like to - there is  a dentist clinic in my area that uses a 3D printer to make false teeth so I'm going to check it out soon. Cheers and happy weekend! 

Posted - February 8, 2019

Responses

Hello Nanoose
    I did not hang out to see the printer work, but I did see how the item I needed was scanned.
    I needed a tail light bezel for an old car I was restoring, couldn't find one that was better than the one I had, a friend suggested I have it printed.
    It took hours for it to be printed, but it was a perfect fit...once the part was chromed, you couldn't tell the difference..
      February 8, 2019 12:01 PM MST

Bet the 3D piece would be way cheaper then buying one from a custom car shop. Does having a 3D piece effect being able to say the car is original?  Cheers and happy weekend!
      February 8, 2019 12:15 PM MST

Hey there Nanoose
    It was about 100 bucks to have the part printed, pretty good considering I couldn't find a decent replacement part.
    As far as the car keeping it's originality, this car was a driver and not a highly valuable collector, so it's originality wasn't really an issue, also considering that the drivetrain wasn't original to the car anyway.
    I would think it may have an impact on the value of a very rare car that may otherwise be complete, but those cars are out of my price range and I don't really want a "trailer Queen", I like to drive the cars I have had...
    The car was an old MG....
    And a happy weekend to you as well
      February 8, 2019 12:43 PM MST

Of course.
      February 8, 2019 2:17 PM MST

I'm an idiot, I know, but something about 3D printers strikes me as wrong.
    Somehow, there's just something that approaches being, what I guess I might call, immoral.

I know how I sound.

I've also been quite ill for a couple of weeks now. Blame it on that.
    :)
      February 8, 2019 5:35 PM MST

I've seen all kinds of 3d printers and every one of them is slow a/f.
      February 8, 2019 5:36 PM MST

What do you by "slow"? They are like any computer-controlled manufacturing machine or process: they run at the optimum speed for the process, material and work-piece design. 

Discounting programming and setting-up times, the 3D printer is far faster than most other methods for complex shapes within the printer's material and size limits. 

I have also seen the "opposite" in action - the CNC milling-machine and lathe; creating the work-piece by removing rather than adding material, and at formidable rates; in materials the 3D printer cannot handle, at least not yet.

[Edited to correct error.]  This post was edited by Durdle at April 27, 2019 3:11 PM MDT
      April 27, 2019 3:10 PM MDT