Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When is a creative idea copycatted knocked off? How close does an idea have to be to the original?

When is a creative idea copycatted knocked off? How close does an idea have to be to the original?

The song THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE was written in 1965.

A poem tit led THE ECHO OF YOUR SMILE was written in 2008 by a Leslie Alexis

A jazz musician named Dave Juarez recorded a song titled THE ECHO OF YOUR smile not too long so

So I know a  shadow is not an echo precisely. But each is somewhat misty and out of focus. A shadow a reflection of something/someone else. An echo is a reverberation from some source.

Are they at all alike or totally different? When I saw the words "echo of your smile" why did I think of the song "The shadow of your smile"? If they are in fact completely different why would seeing the one  cause me to think of the other?

Posted - February 9, 2019

Responses

WOW what a great question.......it brings to mind a lawsuit child star Shirley Temple brought against the name 'Shirley Temple' for a soft drink.........

she won her case, as the judge said....'when we think of Shirley Temple, we think of a person, not a beverage"......!!!!

so perhaps, in your example, it'd be what first comes to mind........not sure, though!!

LOL

:-D

and, Mae West once sued a stripper for using the name "Diamond Lil" as that was the name of one of Mae's most famous characters.......the courts ruled that when you hear "Diamond Lil' you think of Mae, and not some stripper, so she was vindicated......

February 9, 2019 8:54 AM MST

Thank you for the compliment ben and for responding to my question. I appreciate both. What's in a name? A lot apparently. I ran across "echo of your smile" and thought at first it might be typo. But when I checked further I found that no..no typo. So then I wondered am I the only who thinks like that? Happy Saturday! :)
      February 9, 2019 9:10 AM MST