Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Can we get 3 cheers for the Anti-vaxxer geniuses?

Can we get 3 cheers for the Anti-vaxxer geniuses?

Their most recent failure of basic reasoning has now seeded a widening outbreak of measles in the NW US. This, after a similar rash of unfounded primitive superstition brought about a polio epidemic in N Africa.
What next, swear off band-aids because they defile the body? 

Posted - February 9, 2019

Responses

While I normally am opposed to too much government, in the case of vaccines which prevent exactly the kind of outbreak that has occurred in the NW U.S., it should be mandatory for every child to be vaccinated before they go to school.  I had measles, mumps and whooping cough as a child and it was no picnic, but I survived.  Some children don't and if there's a way to prevent it, it should be taken.  
      February 9, 2019 11:12 AM MST

I had both measles and rubella at ages 7 and 8. Everyone did and we all survived because I believe our immune systems were  stronger than kids' are today. Many people are now germophobes and everything has to be sterile. This fails to allow proper immune system buildup. I haven't be ill for decades except for a couple of minor colds that only lasted two days.
      February 9, 2019 11:24 AM MST

I agree, but back then, farmers weren't using antibiotics on their animals.  That doesn't help either.  I don't believe in all those anti-bacterial soaps and gels - they don't allow you to build up antibodies of your own.  One of my nieces just about wraps her kids in bubble wrap and every Tuesday and Thursday they're coming down with something.
      February 9, 2019 1:39 PM MST

I would think all of us in our generation would agree, although every now and then I will see a senior wipe the handle of a shopping cart with the provided sani-wipes.
      February 9, 2019 1:49 PM MST

I don't even think about doing that.  If you don't put your hands on your face or in your mouth and wash them when you get home after putting your items away, you will be fine.
      February 9, 2019 4:19 PM MST

It was my understanding that it was mandatory to enter school. When we find someone’s misbegotten beliefs threaten the health of others, particularly our children, that faith is invalid. 
      February 9, 2019 2:48 PM MST

It was a requirement back when I was a kid and for a long time thereafter.  Those who don't want to vaccinate their children should be forced to home-school their children.  
      February 9, 2019 4:18 PM MST

• anti vaxxers are garbage humans, way to ignore science and put your children and the children of others into danger because you wanna believe in some sh*tty pseudoscience. 
    This post was edited by Just Asking at February 9, 2019 2:11 PM MST
      February 9, 2019 11:21 AM MST

• . This post was edited by Just Asking at February 9, 2019 1:14 PM MST
      February 9, 2019 11:26 AM MST

•   February 9, 2019 11:28 AM MST

I think our views are very comparable. 
      February 9, 2019 2:12 PM MST

• oy 

i think vaccinations should be mandatory with the exception of allergies. the only excuse to not have a person vaccinated is if they are allergic or any other valid medical reason... and because of people like this is why everyone who CAN get vaccinated should 

there was reddit thread with a bunch of experiences from medical professionals who have dealt with anti vaxxers 
    these are some of the worst 
      February 9, 2019 2:58 PM MST

• the last one here is so heartbreaking. it makes my blood boil. these people need to have their children taken away 
      February 9, 2019 3:00 PM MST

A bronx cheer for sure.

February 9, 2019 12:35 PM MST

Three? 
      February 9, 2019 2:13 PM MST

At least 3
      February 10, 2019 12:58 PM MST

They get nothing from me but disbain.
      February 9, 2019 3:06 PM MST

Fifty cases in Washington and they are trying to stir up hysteria and pass a bill making vaccinations mandatory....no outs!    Why?  Things are not what they seem. 

Fifty cases of measles is not an epidemic.

If it worries anyone, they can run get vaccinated and have their children vaccinated.   The people who want the vaccination are always the whiners.  GO GET VACCINATED and you need not worry about who is and is not.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 10, 2019 4:04 PM MST
      February 9, 2019 4:29 PM MST

There have been over 100 cases of measles reported across 21 states in the last year. This is all the more meaningful if you consider that measles was virtually eradicated in the US.
    In fact, the World Health Org listed “vaccination hesistancy” as one of the top ten threats to global health. Still whining? 

How hard is it to communicate that this is a public health issue, not a matter of opinion, and refusing to vaccinate creates fertile environment for the reappearance of a totally preventable disease? 
    Call that whining if you like. I call it exposing stupidity. 
      February 9, 2019 7:49 PM MST

Travelers and visitors are bringing it in.  Stop it there.   I am well informed on this subject.  Your question was about the PNW.
      February 10, 2019 9:47 PM MST

Whether “travelers and visitors are bringing it in” or not, inoculations would have prevented even the 50 victims you’ll own up to. 

Does there need to be a certain body count before it’s recognized as a problem? Sounds to me like you’re trying to excuse ignorance. 
      February 11, 2019 5:39 AM MST

Sounds to me like you're trying to sell it.  It isn't working.
      February 11, 2019 10:07 AM MST

I don’t need to sell anything. The evidence speaks for itself. 
    If you are truly so well informed, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. 
      February 11, 2019 10:13 AM MST

This is very hypocritical of me, but I do not believe in vaccines for me.   I do, however, think that everyone needs to think long and hard about it.  If it is a disease that could infect other people, then get the damned vaccine.

I don't get flu shots.   I don't like the idea.  They give me the flu.  So why?  But this is also determined by the fact that I don't come in contact with those who have the flu.   If I get the flu, I stay home.

I would never expose anyone to any disease on purpose.  
      February 11, 2019 10:12 AM MST