easyjolene
Nom de Plume
rusureamisure
designer
Baba
Zack
Shuhak
Just Asking
elon musk
Neelie
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I have no desire to learn how to change the oil in cars but admire gals who do. I also adore guys who know their way around a kitchen. You?

I have no desire to learn how to change the oil in cars but admire gals who do. I also adore guys who know their way around a kitchen. You?

Posted - Mon at 4:25 AM

• 4076
    No can't change the oil.  And the men who do a lot of cooking I guess have eluded me.  I had one older boyfriend years ago who cooked and showed me a lot of things but that was it.  This post was edited by officegirl at February 11, 2019 12:53 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 5:50 AM MST
    1

• 5251
    There is only one thing in the kitchen I don't do --------- deep frying stuff. It's just not a food type we Wilsons do. Oh, I will buy stuff at fast food places that has been deep fried. KFC, for example. I have changed the motor oil in many machines since I have worked over 25 years in motorcycle shops. I do know this chick named Kathy who regularly does engine work on the family vehicles. (watch the movie; My Cousin Vinny) 
      February 11, 2019 7:01 AM MST
    2

• 58000
    We don't deep fry at home EVER either bh but we do do a KFC on occasion too! I think gals who drive trucks and can do minor/major repairs to their cars just ROCK! I have no interest in it at all. Different strokes. Of course the more you know how to do yourself the cheaper it is. I'd much rather be in the kitchen cooking than out in the garage getting all dirty and oily! Some gals don't cook. They just do not like it. Again different strokes! So as I said I adore you for knowing your way around the kitchen ( adore platonically only of course)! Good for you and that is an excellent lesson to teach any sons you might have. Good job! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 11, 2019 7:16 AM MST
    1

• 20080
    QE II was taught minor auto maintenance during WWII.

February 11, 2019 12:54 PM MST
    2

• 58000
    Good for her! I'm not a queen! I have no obligation to my country to know how to maintain an auto other than taking it to the repair folks who DO KNOW so I don't break down on a freeway and cause havoc to my fellow citizens. Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 11, 2019 12:58 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 12:58 PM MST
    0

• 1469
    She was not Queen then, simply Princess Elizabeth,  and she was in a uniformed but non-combatant, women's auxiliary service that provided background support within Britain, to the fighting units during the War. 

She also learn to drive, as well as basic maintenance. Many of the regular "repair folks" would have been away in the Armed Forces. 
      February 12, 2019 4:27 PM MST
    1

• 58000
    I would be an absolutely HORRIBLE ROYAL Durdle. They have things they must do because of their obligation to the crown and the history. Whether they want to or not matters not. Thank you for your reply!  :)
      February 13, 2019 5:29 AM MST
    0

• 2081
    I love men who can cook.   I don't understand how one can go through life and not ever learn the basics, cooking being one of them.   I don't understand parents/moms, etc, who don't teach their children how to cook. I always found that odd.   My MIL was a great cook, always making Polish and Hungarian dishes but she never taught my husband how to cook.  ugh.
      February 11, 2019 1:01 PM MST
    2

• 58000
    My son had a job as a short-order cook at Farrell's  when he was in high school. He knew his way around a kitchen and how to do his own laundry. I don't get guys who don't know how to do either one.  Thank you for your reply lavender and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 13, 2019 5:31 AM MST
    0

• 1469
    I've changed many a sump-full of oil over the years, as well as sparking-plugs, contact-breakers, steering components, alternators, a gear-box or two - even once made a new gear-lever when the original one actually broke in mid-journey - but nowadays I prefer to have the car serviced by a garage.

Coking? Well, I don't starve. I can't say I am a brilliant cook, nor even a particularly enthusiastic one, but I don't starve and I try to eat a reasonably varied diet. I like baking cakes now and then, though.

Oh, how did I get home with no gear-lever? I had only a mile or so to go, but in fairly busy traffic. The gear-box on that car was just in front of the front seats, so I removed the ball-and-socket cover and the lever, and used a large screw-driver to stir the selectors around! 
      February 12, 2019 4:36 PM MST
    2

• 58000
    Necessity is the mother of invention. You McGyvered it! Years ago there was a TV show titled McGyver (sp?) in which the guy was VERY RESOURCEFUL and could figure his way out of any mess with what he found available. it was a swell show. Don't know why it had to go! You are very resourceful too m'dear! Good on ya! Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      February 13, 2019 5:33 AM MST
    1

• 6879
    I've not met too many female mechanics (who make a living at it) but I made damned sure my daughter could do basic maintenance - enough to get her out of trouble.

As for male cooks - Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Bourdain, Guy Fieri ... and I'll bet none of them can change a tire. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 16, 2019 3:58 AM MST
      February 13, 2019 5:34 AM MST
    2

• 58000
    Jamie used to have a TV show years ago. Really liked him. Bourdain is dead. Ramsay is a class A jacka** (isn't he the shouter insulter yeller?) Fieri is a kick in the head. We used to watch Emeril LeGas(sp?) years ago when he was on TV. Don't know what happened to him. Of course the GRAND DAME was Julia Childs! Her shows were a hoot and a holler! She was a very funny gal. I think she is the one who started it all on TV vis a vis the food channel. Not a fan of Martha Stewart. Something about her puts my teeth on edge. Thank you for your reply R. So you taught your daughter enough about basic auto maintenance to get her out of trouble? Good for you! What about Maureen? This post was edited by RosieG at February 16, 2019 4:20 AM MST
      February 16, 2019 4:06 AM MST
    0

• 6879
    Maureen doesn't drive.
      February 16, 2019 5:57 AM MST
    1

• 58000
    Oh.  Neither did Jim's mom. So wherever she needs/wants to go you go too or your daughter. Jim's mom just got too nervous to learn. I never met her. His parents died before we met but I'm sure I would have loved them dearly. Thank you for the info R! :)
      February 16, 2019 7:55 AM MST
    0

• 1469
    Those cooks are highly-skilled at cooking, but in general, I have the impression that the more "celebrity media" they are, the less scientific or engineering knowledge they have!

Many people now show very limited practical understanding and abilities, for various reasons. A lot cannot even understand why a knife and fork are the shapes they are, and how to use them (their form and use are linked, of course)!
      February 15, 2019 3:15 PM MST
    1

• 58000
    You know of all the things I wonder about (and by now you know I wonder about a lot) I never once in my life wondered about why a fork and knife are shaped as they are. A fork is necessary to spear things. You can use a spoon but spooning steak? I dunno. A knife is sharp to cut into that which cannot be cut with a fork. Spoons are handy when liquid is involved. Beyond that I have never questioned it. I notice that some forks are smaller. Salad or dessert forks right? Some spoons are smaller... tea or soup please? Some knives are used to spread soft butter so they don't need to be particularly sharp. An entire area of life that never once caught my attention. I just accepted as-is without question. I am influenced by the design in terms of style. I like sleek. I like aerodynamic. I dislike gingerbread. But with regard to use and the reasons therefore and thereof this is a first! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday!  :)
      February 16, 2019 4:27 AM MST
    0

• 10430
    :)
    I don't always fall into some of the usual gender expectations of others.

I immediately thought of one of my T-shirts I sometimes enjoy wearing (all in good fun!) :

:)

Image result for don't assume i fix things t-shirt

And this one was sold beside it in the store: 

EDIT: - -I'll post the T-shirt with the woman in a separate answer- - got to run and the image won't post where I want it to -- grrr -- 

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 16, 2019 6:06 AM MST
      February 16, 2019 6:01 AM MST
    0

• 10430

The other image that I tried to post in my other answer- -

:)

EDIT: -- whoa -- that's WAY bigger than I thought it wold be!

Related image
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 16, 2019 6:07 AM MST
      February 16, 2019 6:07 AM MST
    0