Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I have no desire to learn how to change the oil in cars but admire gals who do. I also adore guys who know their way around a kitchen. You?

I have no desire to learn how to change the oil in cars but admire gals who do. I also adore guys who know their way around a kitchen. You?

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

No can't change the oil.  And the men who do a lot of cooking I guess have eluded me.  I had one older boyfriend years ago who cooked and showed me a lot of things but that was it.  This post was edited by officegirl at February 11, 2019 12:53 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 5:50 AM MST

There is only one thing in the kitchen I don't do --------- deep frying stuff. It's just not a food type we Wilsons do. Oh, I will buy stuff at fast food places that has been deep fried. KFC, for example. I have changed the motor oil in many machines since I have worked over 25 years in motorcycle shops. I do know this chick named Kathy who regularly does engine work on the family vehicles. (watch the movie; My Cousin Vinny) 
      February 11, 2019 7:01 AM MST

We don't deep fry at home EVER either bh but we do do a KFC on occasion too! I think gals who drive trucks and can do minor/major repairs to their cars just ROCK! I have no interest in it at all. Different strokes. Of course the more you know how to do yourself the cheaper it is. I'd much rather be in the kitchen cooking than out in the garage getting all dirty and oily! Some gals don't cook. They just do not like it. Again different strokes! So as I said I adore you for knowing your way around the kitchen ( adore platonically only of course)! Good for you and that is an excellent lesson to teach any sons you might have. Good job! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 11, 2019 7:16 AM MST

QE II was taught minor auto maintenance during WWII.

February 11, 2019 12:54 PM MST

Good for her! I'm not a queen! I have no obligation to my country to know how to maintain an auto other than taking it to the repair folks who DO KNOW so I don't break down on a freeway and cause havoc to my fellow citizens. Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 17, 2019 11:25 AM MST
      February 11, 2019 12:58 PM MST

She was not Queen then, simply Princess Elizabeth,  and she was in a uniformed but non-combatant, women's auxiliary service that provided background support within Britain, to the fighting units during the War. 

She also learn to drive, as well as basic maintenance. Many of the regular "repair folks" would have been away in the Armed Forces. 
      February 12, 2019 4:27 PM MST

I would be an absolutely HORRIBLE ROYAL Durdle. They have things they must do because of their obligation to the crown and the history. Whether they want to or not matters not. Thank you for your reply!  :)
      February 13, 2019 5:29 AM MST

• I love men who can cook.   I don't understand how one can go through life and not ever learn the basics, cooking being one of them.   I don't understand parents/moms, etc, who don't teach their children how to cook. I always found that odd.   My MIL was a great cook, always making Polish and Hungarian dishes but she never taught my husband how to cook.  ugh.
      February 11, 2019 1:01 PM MST

My son had a job as a short-order cook at Farrell's  when he was in high school. He knew his way around a kitchen and how to do his own laundry. I don't get guys who don't know how to do either one.  Thank you for your reply lavender and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 13, 2019 5:31 AM MST

• Wow, I love Farrell's.    The closest one we have is in Sacramento, but I think the one in San Diego is still there.  I have so many wonderufl memories of going there when I was a kid.  I always ordered - I forget what it's called, but it came with a pink elephant plastic stir in the ice cream.    And of course, The Zoo was always fun, although we never ordered that.     I bet that was a fun place to work. 
      February 17, 2019 9:08 AM MST

I've changed many a sump-full of oil over the years, as well as sparking-plugs, contact-breakers, steering components, alternators, a gear-box or two - even once made a new gear-lever when the original one actually broke in mid-journey - but nowadays I prefer to have the car serviced by a garage.

Coking? Well, I don't starve. I can't say I am a brilliant cook, nor even a particularly enthusiastic one, but I don't starve and I try to eat a reasonably varied diet. I like baking cakes now and then, though.

Oh, how did I get home with no gear-lever? I had only a mile or so to go, but in fairly busy traffic. The gear-box on that car was just in front of the front seats, so I removed the ball-and-socket cover and the lever, and used a large screw-driver to stir the selectors around! 
      February 12, 2019 4:36 PM MST

Necessity is the mother of invention. You McGyvered it! Years ago there was a TV show titled McGyver (sp?) in which the guy was VERY RESOURCEFUL and could figure his way out of any mess with what he found available. it was a swell show. Don't know why it had to go! You are very resourceful too m'dear! Good on ya! Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      February 13, 2019 5:33 AM MST

I've not met too many female mechanics (who make a living at it) but I made damned sure my daughter could do basic maintenance - enough to get her out of trouble.

As for male cooks - Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Bourdain, Guy Fieri ... and I'll bet none of them can change a tire. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 16, 2019 3:58 AM MST
      February 13, 2019 5:34 AM MST

Jamie used to have a TV show years ago. Really liked him. Bourdain is dead. Ramsay is a class A jacka** (isn't he the shouter insulter yeller?) Fieri is a kick in the head. We used to watch Emeril LeGas(sp?) years ago when he was on TV. Don't know what happened to him. Of course the GRAND DAME was Julia Childs! Her shows were a hoot and a holler! She was a very funny gal. I think she is the one who started it all on TV vis a vis the food channel. Not a fan of Martha Stewart. Something about her puts my teeth on edge. Thank you for your reply R. So you taught your daughter enough about basic auto maintenance to get her out of trouble? Good for you! What about Maureen? This post was edited by RosieG at February 16, 2019 4:20 AM MST
      February 16, 2019 4:06 AM MST

Maureen doesn't drive.
      February 16, 2019 5:57 AM MST

Oh.  Neither did Jim's mom. So wherever she needs/wants to go you go too or your daughter. Jim's mom just got too nervous to learn. I never met her. His parents died before we met but I'm sure I would have loved them dearly. Thank you for the info R! :)
      February 16, 2019 7:55 AM MST

Maureen hasn't the hand-eye coordination. I'm clumsy enough, but she's turned it into an art form. Adelaide's public transport system is reasonably good, clean and safe enough in the daytime, so she rides buses if we're not available.
      February 16, 2019 11:25 PM MST

That's awesome R! A public transport system that the public can actually rely on? Splendid!Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday!  :)
      February 17, 2019 9:06 AM MST

Those cooks are highly-skilled at cooking, but in general, I have the impression that the more "celebrity media" they are, the less scientific or engineering knowledge they have!

Many people now show very limited practical understanding and abilities, for various reasons. A lot cannot even understand why a knife and fork are the shapes they are, and how to use them (their form and use are linked, of course)!
      February 15, 2019 3:15 PM MST

You know of all the things I wonder about (and by now you know I wonder about a lot) I never once in my life wondered about why a fork and knife are shaped as they are. A fork is necessary to spear things. You can use a spoon but spooning steak? I dunno. A knife is sharp to cut into that which cannot be cut with a fork. Spoons are handy when liquid is involved. Beyond that I have never questioned it. I notice that some forks are smaller. Salad or dessert forks right? Some spoons are smaller... tea or soup please? Some knives are used to spread soft butter so they don't need to be particularly sharp. An entire area of life that never once caught my attention. I just accepted as-is without question. I am influenced by the design in terms of style. I like sleek. I like aerodynamic. I dislike gingerbread. But with regard to use and the reasons therefore and thereof this is a first! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday!  :)
      February 16, 2019 4:27 AM MST

Happy Sunday, as it is now, Rosie!

My point about cutlery is that they are very simple tools, and they are shaped to be held in a particular way so they perform their function most efficiently and comfortably. The type or size does not matter.

A lot of people seem never to have been taught to use them though. I have seen them using forks upside-down so having to twist their arms in odd ways; and even struggling to eat a solid meal wit just a fork held with the elbow resting on the table. Whether you believe that itself poor etiquette, it turns what should be simple and efficient, into something very clumsy and awkward.  

So if people cannot use tools as simple and everyday as a knife and fork, could I expect them to use more sophisticated tools to, for instance, put up a shelf or complete basic car maintenance, to a satisfactory standard?
      February 17, 2019 3:28 AM MST

Hi there m'dear! Two things. First when parents have the table manners of pigs that is what their children learn and of course will emulate them. Second. And you would know if this is true or not. My understanding is that EUROPEANS never switch hands. The fork starts off in the left hand and stays there. Whereas Americans switch the fork from left to right. I have never been to Europe so I don't know if it is so.  But your point is well-taken. If we cannot do the simple things correctly there is no hope in he** that those more complex tasks with which we are all faced will ever be accomplished correctly. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy  Sunday! :) I'm gonna ask. This post was edited by RosieG at February 17, 2019 8:32 AM MST
      February 17, 2019 4:03 AM MST

Thank you for that cultural point! Although many Europeans do ape Americana merely because it's American, a lot of the difficulty here is anecdotally blamed on people rushing to eat off plates on their laps in front of the television.

Why switch hands though? I can't quite see how that helps.

A more serious point about practical skills in general is that British schools went through a couple of decades or so of stopping teaching anything the least bit practical, except perhaps in art. It partly reflected a theory pushed by politicians - Left as well as Right - media types,  the IT industry, City money-traders and mere "celebrities, that no-one need know how to make anything any more.

This was not universal, but in very many schools, what had been 'Domestic Science' teaching how to plan and cook reasonably good-quality meals, became downgraded to strange things like 'Food Technology' which taught fare more about the fancy packaging on bought foods, than actually cooking anything. Similarly, they threw out wood- and metal- working, thinking you can learn Engineering from text-books and pretty pictures on computer screens.

Sorry - I blasphemed there. We must never call it 'Engineering', for that implies the wrong sort of creativity; but you may call it "Technology". Schools refer to the subject as "Design and Technology" - then debase that fluff-word even more into something called "Tech" that apparently means things like the idiotically-named "smart" 'phone.

There are signs of improvement, that skills in craft trades and genuine technical design (not merely pizza-box artwork) are vital, though.

Indeed, so technically ignorant are so many Britons nowadays, they would hazard a guess that an Engineer does things like mending washing-machines and changing the oil in cars.
      February 17, 2019 4:45 AM MST

OMG Durdle! Condolences to thee and thine. I am an Anglophile and thus I am SHOCKED when I hear from Brits anything remotely derogatory about their country. SIGH. Bit by bit slowly by slowly if we reach out on internet social sites such as this sometimes we get lucky and connect with folks from whom we learn things we never could have learned from other sources. Still and all I think of the US as wet behind the ears..smart-a** adolescents who think they know everything and know virtually nothing. Our current political morass (being led by a world-class jack**) is an example. What other country would not only elect it but have millions of people support it defend it and adore it? I rest my case. Why people are as they are I cannot say.I think of MY FAIR LADY as a case in point. The professor laments WHY CAN'T A WOMAN BE MORE LIKE A MAN? How does one answer that? Well I say why can't those Americans who think don is so swell not  see how unswell a swell he really is? Why can't they be more like me and thee and others of OUR ilk? Again. Unanswerable. Thank you for your thoughtful reply!  :)
      February 17, 2019 8:58 AM MST