Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » VA Governor Northam refers to slavery as "indentured service". Will he be forced out? He does not seem to know when to shut up.

VA Governor Northam refers to slavery as "indentured service". Will he be forced out? He does not seem to know when to shut up.

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

"Indentured service" Is one of the many ways Slavery have be reinvented through History. I tend to agree if that is what he meant.
      February 11, 2019 6:45 AM MST

By the way, I think the founding fathers agreed with that too, else they would not have made the US bankruptsy laws so flexible that bancruptsy cold not be used to get people condemned as "indentured servants"
      February 11, 2019 6:49 AM MST

The Africans stolen from their lands were not indentured servants...they owed no debt to their owners. 
      February 11, 2019 6:52 AM MST

Right you are. but they did have rulers, who did have the right to tell them what to do. and even sell them. I never heard of slaveships ever checking where the black people the bought came from. I know many were just captured from tribes further inland.
      February 11, 2019 7:00 AM MST

Northam has lost credibility and, IMO, the ability to govern. I find the actual issue of his ancient yearbook pic less troubling than his comments about that and other things.  
    He should step down. 
      February 11, 2019 7:07 AM MST

I agree.  Unfortunately, the next two in line are just as bad, or worse, than him.
      February 11, 2019 8:43 AM MST

• In the political climate today ... there are many, many politicians who have lost credibility in one form or another.  I'm not sure how Northam's bad behavior is any different than anyone else's.  He just seems to be more willing to say he's sorry than some others are.  I don't believe he means it any more than the ones who aren't apologizing for their abhorrent behavior.  

I'd prefer all of the politicians who have lost credibility would step down .. but there would be no one left to run the government.  

February 11, 2019 7:32 AM MST