Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » do you believe mental problems are real or no ?

do you believe mental problems are real or no ?

i believe they can be real but i know i have none...

the thing is i had problems with my neighbor in 2017, and she called the police on me , and i ended up in a psychiatric hospital. they would not listen to me, they wanted to keep me . since then, i have to take medication even tho i know i have nothing. if i would live alone i would not take medication, but since i live with my mom, and she obliges me , i have no choice.

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

• I do believe they are very real.  But sometimes, they're not easily diagnosed or are misdiagnosed and therefore either not treated or treated incorrectly.  Sometimes, treatment is kind of trial and error and needs to be constantly followed up on to be effective.
      February 11, 2019 11:31 AM MST

Why would you even say such a hair-brained thing?  

Do you believe in hair?  

I think it has been more than proven that mental problems are real.  The brain affects behavior.  If you cannot control this affect because something in the brain is messed up, then it is a REAL problem.
      February 11, 2019 11:43 AM MST

• Absolutely real and I think to some extent we are all a bit mentally diseased. 
      February 11, 2019 12:16 PM MST

I'm presently back in school and majoring in psychology. Mental disorders absolutely exist. Brain structure and chemical balances vary from person to person. It is scientifically proven. To argue that they don't is akin to saying every person has the same nose or that each person's pancreas works the same. We know they don't. That's what diabetes is. Diabetes is the inability to use insulin or the inability to produce it. The same is true of various brain functions.

When we consider things like the body's fear response, a "normal" person may be frightened; they may gradually build up anxiety or may get a fright immediately, but the fear response isn't extreme. Some people have a larger amygdala- the part of the brain responsible for the fight or flight response. Those people react quicker to triggers. Those are the people who fly into a rage during traffic or in an argument. They're quick-tempered and take longer to settle. Some people are born with a larger amygdala, but other times, a trigger enlarges it. That's the case with people who have PTSD. They frequently have enlarged amygdalas. 

In knowing the physiology behind a disorder, we can treat it. Talk therapy isn't going to shrink an amygdala. Medication can help. Learning calming techniques can help. 

The same is true of all mental health conditions. There is always a root cause and the appropriate treatment will vary based on the cause. 

If you disagree with your diagnosis, research it to find out what it means and why you have been given the diagnosis. Then, identify whether you're receiving the appropriate treatment for it. If you decide you're 100% fine, chances are, you're wrong. Like ProdigalSon said, virtually every person on this planet has a problem of some sort. It may be something minor like poor decision-making or occasional bouts of depression and anxiety; things we can learn to cope with or correct. On the other hand, it may be something more serious that requires ongoing treatment and/ or medications to manage. You have to be willing to take a hard look at yourself. Denying a problem exists won't make it go away. Again, no more than pretending you don't have diabetes will. If you want a full and healthy life, you have to be willing to examine yourself and find out what's happening with you. 
      February 11, 2019 12:35 PM MST

• Well said.  
      February 11, 2019 12:42 PM MST

Well, if you say (as you do) that you know that you have no mental problems and if you lived alone you would take no medication, but because you live with your mother you take medication because your mother obliges you to do so, then you are actually the poster child for the existence of (at the very least) "relationship dysfunctionality."

You would do well to talk to a mental health professional to deal with your problems.
      February 11, 2019 1:04 PM MST

They are absolutely real and manifest themselves in as many ways as there are people who suffer from them. 
      February 11, 2019 1:35 PM MST

The Mind is a crazy critter sometimes.
    With the Ego as it's leader
    one can imagine endless
    amounts of mental quagmires.
         The trick is...
    to see them for what they are...illusions.
    Any one thing can be as real and as solid as a brick,
    and then in the next instant
    disappear and reveal that it had no real substance at all.
         One can be free of all mental quagmires
    when the mind is still
    and no thoughts running through it...
    When mind is still
    Ego has dissolved
    and no mental quagmires
    are being created.

February 11, 2019 4:53 PM MST

And it's interesting to me lately -- that I'm becoming much better at quickly realizing that even though the mental quagmires that I admit I CREATE, and even though the feelings I associate with these fabricated quagmires often FEEL like reality, I still intellectually know that the quagmires are unnecessary and unhealthy ILLUSIONS of my own making.
    And knowing that makes it easier to keep both of my feet in reality.

I'm not talking about major mental disease/paranoia/etc. here -- I mean it more in a simpler, everyday type of way, like something someone shared with me -- it was a sheet listing various "Styles of Distorted Thinking -- a couple of them that I know I can do sometimes are:
    "Mind Reading - - without their saying so, you know what people are feeling and why they act the way they do. In particular, you are able to divine how people are feeling toward you."

"Personalization -  thinking that everything people do or say is some kind of reaction to you."

Those two distorted ways of thinking -- those are a couple of examples of what I meant above by 'illusions' that I create sometimes. And knowing that they are only illusions can help me take back my serenity, based upon the facts of circumstances and my relationships, NOT based on my mental scenarios/fabrications (usually of a self-negative nature). 

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who does some of these things, but I think if many of us are honest with ourselves, we might realize we can fall into some of these ways of thinking at times.

I don't mean to sound psychotic here, ha!

Oh, and the ability to LAUGH at myself at some of my weirdness, it helps me all the more to stay centered, like, "Woops -- there I did it again."
    :)
      April 23, 2019 7:15 PM MDT

I believe they are real but I also believe they cannot be separated from physical problems.  So they are the mental aspects of physical problems most of which are due to unhealthy nourishment or unhealthy lifestyle. 
      April 23, 2019 8:54 PM MDT

You said this already.

I know. Your mother told you to take the meds.  TAKE THE MEDS.  OKAY.

My neighbors do not call the police on me.  I don't care what you say.  Okay?  If your mom is siding with the police and the neighbors, then TAKE THE MEDS.  

Don't try and think.  Just take the MEDS.  
      April 24, 2019 1:21 AM MDT