Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So if you LIKE the taste of something a lot and discover it is 50% POISON do you stop eating it or justify continuing to eat it? Why ?

So if you LIKE the taste of something a lot and discover it is 50% POISON do you stop eating it or justify continuing to eat it? Why ?

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

Well, tylenol is a controlled poison---"safe" up to a specific maximum dose.

Edit:  but granted, it is not designated as a "food ingredient." This post was edited by tom jackson at February 11, 2019 1:22 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 1:19 PM MST

Yes. Well we were discussing unhealthy dangerous CRAP like hydrogenated oils, partially hydrogenated oils, Genetically Modified Organism, food dyes with numbers, high fructose corn syrup et al. People like what they like and do not seem to give a rat's a** what they are eating. Don't confuse them with information about how they are harming their bodies. They couldn't care less. That is the conversation. As for meds you can buy without prescription? That is another subject entirely. Thank you for your reply. So do YOU read ingredients lists and decide whether to buy or not buy depending upon what they are? Or do you not care and just eat whatever is tasty and whatever happens to you happens? SIGH. We cannot educate all of you. We can only try to impart some information. What you do with it is up to you! All of you. SIGH.
      February 11, 2019 1:25 PM MST

When I was younger, the "food pyramid" was the primary standard for knowing what to eat---and for many years, "food" was no more than the (frequently) unsatisfactory answer to "What's for dinner?" 

More recently, my definition of food has changed to designer fuel for enhanced physical performance and superior "body maintenance."

Yes, I do read the labels.

And here's another good link:    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

This post was edited by tom jackson at March 11, 2019 2:37 AM MDT
      March 10, 2019 2:15 PM MDT

Hi tom. Thank you for your reply and the link which I shall click onto after I post this. I agree with your view of food. You ARE what you eat. In January 2008 I had my dance with cancer. Since my mid-30's I've been VERY CONSCIOUS of what I put into my body and I am convinced that my survival was absolutely based on having eaten nutritious foods for decades. I was 70 when I got cancer. Rare form Sarcoma/Carcinoma. Stage 3. But I had no other health problems whatsoever. I was not on any meds for anything. So they" threw the book at me" protocol-wise. I got very strong doses of chemo and sailed through all of it! Eating broccoli by the pound regularly along with other such "miraculous" foods for decades I'm convinced saved my life. If I had been on heart meds or had other debilitating diseases they could not possibly have given me the heavy doses of chemo they did. I got IFEX and TAXOL for 3 days every 3 weeks for six months. The TAXOL was only on day one of each 3-day treatment and the IFEX was for each of the 3 days. 14% chance of surviving 5 years was the diagnosis/prognosis. I'm still here after 11 years and counting. Why? Because I ate the right foods to protect me. I don't smoke. I don't take entertainment drugs what that means. I drink alcohol in moderation. I'm slender. Folks who are obese with obese children are killing themselves. They don't care. If it tastes good they will eat it. They only read labels if they are ALLERGIC to something. Otherwise who cares? I am a living testament to the value of eating healthy foods. Now of course there is no guarantee that doing so would protect me from some unexpected illness. Wasn't it runner Jim Fixx (sp?) who died from a heart attack? So things happen. Happy Monday! :)
      March 11, 2019 2:51 AM MDT

You justify eating it.  

Much of what we eat today is poison.  No, I'm not talking about romaine lettuce.  I'm talking about things like sugar, sulfides, bromine, nitrates, food dyes, sodium, and many preservatives.  While these (and many others) may not cause a person to drop dead immediately after consuming them, they can cause things like obesity, clogged arteries, cancer and tumors, which can kill us.  

Salt (sodium) and sugar are two major food additives.  They are flavor enhancers.  Did you know that by adding just the right amount of salt one can actually make something taste sweeter?  Manufacturers do!  A lot of "fast food" is loaded with added sugar and salt making it not only taste good, but also to make it addicting (so one wants more and more of it).  Delicious poison!
    We all know that too much sugar isn't good for us.   However, much of what we eat is loaded with "sugars".  Oh, we give them different names - corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, glucose, maltodextrin, and such - in an effort to fool ourselves into thinking we're not eating that much sugar.  But our bodies can't read. they only know chemicals.  To your body, a sugar is a sugar is a sugar.  Sweet poison!

How  many people read the ingredient panel on the foods they buy?  How many know the ingredients in the food they eat at a restaurant or a fast food place?  Of those who do read them, how many understand what those "ingredients" actually are? (can they even pronounce them?)  Simply because you think an ingredient sounds harmless, doesn't necessarily mean it is.

We all have to eat.  Therefore, food (growing, preparing, marketing) is a multi-quadrillion dollar industry.  Some manufactures employ chemists  to make new "additives" that will help enhance their products/  Better tasting = better sales = more profits.  Those who market products invent words to make it more appealing to customers (lite, reduced, organic)  More appealing = better sales = more profits.  So what if something is "poison".  As long as they can keep the FDA off their backs and dupe unsuspecting customers into thinking that what they're selling is "fine".... 

Who knew that eating could be so complicated... and so potentially deadly!

February 11, 2019 2:37 PM MST

We are on the exact same page here Shuhak. I'm alive today because I got wise in my mid-30's and started eating only very nutritious foods. I beat cancer that should have tken me out because of it. I'm convinced ot that. I read all labels. We ingest NOTHING with food dyes unless the dye is natural like beets or carrots. No dye that has a number. We eat nothing that includes partially hydrogenated oid or hydrogenated oils (LARD or CRISCO for example). No high-fructose anything. We eat non-GMO as much as is possible. We don't drink soda. We avoid sugar. We look for fiber and protein to be high or we don't buy it. Do you know you can actually buy "100% whole wheat bread" that has less than one gram of fiber per slice? That is a joke. That means they STRIP the grain of all nutrition and make the bread with what's left then they DYE it brown to make it look healthy! Most people do not read labels. Do you know they sell "sourdough" bread without any sourdough starter?  Ridiculous but true. False advertising. People will spend inordinate amounts of time to look good but will grab anything to eat without thinking about it twice. There is a question in there which I will ask. Thank you for your reply. Sugar is poison. Good fats are healthy. Salt is necessary to the body function IN MODERATION. It's not hard to figure out. It does not take genius. It does take common sense. This post was edited by RosieG at March 11, 2019 9:51 AM MDT
      March 11, 2019 2:59 AM MDT