Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does your town or city have a good Jewish Deli, Italian Deli, Middle-Eastern Deli? Shouldn't EVERY TOWN/CITY have them?

Does your town or city have a good Jewish Deli, Italian Deli, Middle-Eastern Deli? Shouldn't EVERY TOWN/CITY have them?

What's better than having access to AUTHENTIC ETHNIC food? 

Posted - February 12, 2019

Responses

I wish.   I guess we can get anything we wish in Phoenix, Scottsdale and the like.   I am in Sun City.  There are no ethnic stores that I know of around here except maybe in a section of Sprouts.

February 12, 2019 4:54 AM MST

Us too in Hemet. But there is a town about 25 miles away from us called TEMECULA where everything is ritzy upscale and well a tad snooty snobby. Bet they have every kind of ethnic deli. I'll Google it. Scottsdale is the really ritzy Bel Air of Arizona isn't it Sharon? That's where the rich and famous live?  Maybe one day when our ship comes in? Just once in my life I'd like to go into a store and not look at the price tag. Just buy it because I want it. Can you imagine doing that EVER? Thank you for your reply m'dear! How ya doin'? How long is the recuperation time for the kind of operation you had? This post was edited by RosieG at February 12, 2019 5:25 AM MST
      February 12, 2019 5:00 AM MST

• Our city and those nearby do not have any of those things.  We mostly have Mexican restaurants and American type establishments .. maybe an Indian or Chinese place here and there.  However, we're only 45 minutes away from larger cities in the DC area that have all of those cuisines and many more.  When our son lived in DC, we could walk around the city and find every culture imaginable represented in food and religion.  For that reason, my grandson's palate is much more sophisticated than mine will ever be.  He is only 9 and educates me on what ethnic foods he loves.  :)  
      February 12, 2019 5:30 AM MST

Your grandson is  very lucky boy B! I think when you learn to appreciate the foods of other cultures you appreciate them. How can it be otherwise? I'm gonna ask! Thank you for your informative reply. Did I ask you if you'd ever visited the Smithsonian sweetie? I think I must have. That would be the FIRST place I'd want to visit. Isn't that where all the best stuff about America is housed?  :)
      February 12, 2019 5:43 AM MST

• He is fortunate to have been exposed to so many different foods in his short little life.  :)  We have been to (some of) the Smithsonian .. which is actually comprised of 19 different museums and a Zoo!  I read that if you spent 1 minute at each exhibit it would take more than 258 years to see them all!  
      February 12, 2019 6:56 AM MST

258 YEARS? 19 different museums and a zoo? Who knew? Yikes! Well then I just will have to keep coming  back and see some of it during each lifetime. I guess each of the 19 museums specialize so you start with those of extreme interest first. Gosh I had no idea B. I thought it was just one gigantic building! 19? Gee whiz that is splendid! Thank you for your reply sweetie. Today the market will be visited. Need buttermilk and cornmeal. Tomorrow the cornbread and then my report to you of Jim's reaction. Hope I can keep quiet about it. I always tell him everything all the time . Keeping a secret I can do easily. Just not when it comes to him! Happy Wednesday to thee Mr s. C!  :) ((hugs))
      February 13, 2019 6:35 AM MST

• I sure hope it makes him (and you) smile!  :)  
      February 13, 2019 7:32 AM MST

You just made me smile B! Just in the reading of the ingredients it seems GREAT! So we shall see. I'm kinda excited tell ya the truth Through the years Jim and I have been together I bet I tried a couple dozen different recipes. Some were "good" but none were "GREAT"! I'm going to hold out for GREAT! Thanks my friend. You know anticipation is about as good as gets other than actualization! Here's hoping!  :)
      February 13, 2019 7:47 AM MST

((HUGS)) Those hugs are from Jim, B! He said that cornbread is the BEST VALENTINE'S DAY PRESENT HE HAS EVER HAD! He LOVES it! Nearest thing to his mom's he has ever tasted! I think it's delish too! Now I didn't add sugar. I used only 1/2 tsp salt and I substituted Stone Ground Whole grain Flour for the regular flour. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. He already had breakfast. However he is currently eating cornbread with some butter. I'm just flabbergasted that after all these years of FRUITLESS attempts(at least a coupla dozen attempts using different recipes) who gives us the best recipe ever? A LONG-TIME FRIEND! So how come I didn't ask you about cornbread on Answerbag years ago? D 'ya know? Anyway I will be making this a LOT. Thank you merci gracias danke schoen and shot shunuryagalyem! The last one is phonetic Armenian! ((HUGS)) Those hugs are from me! Happy Valentine's Day Thursday to thee Mrs. C and Gene! :) :):):):):):):) This post was edited by RosieG at February 14, 2019 7:42 AM MST
      February 14, 2019 6:05 AM MST

• That's wonderful!!  Tell Jim I'm so glad he loves it!!  (((hugs))) to him back.  Funny, we've talked about food before and never cornbread!  Good substitutions!  I leave most of the sugar out myself.  It just isn't necessary IMO.  I bet we could have some fun cooking together ... pooling our favorite recipes.  An Armenian and an Italian ... that would be interesting cuisine!  Thanks for telling me Rosie.  Happy Valentine's Day to you and Jim!  :)
      February 14, 2019 7:48 AM MST

I just did B! And he sends your hugs of his hugs back to you too! I think maybe part of it may be eating something that takes him back to his childhood and reminds of his mom whom he adored. I guess our before times in the olden days of Answerbag had other things going on to which I shall only indirectly refer and leave at that! Remember? Here on Answermug things are less complicated and it's not that I speak for you but I'm pretty sure you are a fan of less complicated too! It's pouring here. Unbelievable. Maybe climate change is climate changing Hemet! I dunno. Hope all is well weather-wise in your part of the country and otherwise too. Yep an Italian and an Armenian in the kitchen works very well. When I lived in Massachusetts one of the businesses for which I did some accounting was a restaurant. The owners were husband and wife and Italian!. Her name was Nancy. We did cook together a couple of times. She made something SPHEENGES (phonetic) which was like a fried sweet dough that was oh my so good. And for Christmas she made LOBSTER RAVIOLI'S. Now I don't know if that is an Italian holiday tradition but they were awesomely good. Oh and she took me to an Italian Bakery in Boston one time and she bought a RUM CAKE! Oh B that cake I swear I could have eaten all of it myself. It was beyond delicious. Gosh I miss Nancy and that long-ago. Anyway as you can see I digressed. Adieu till next we meet again my sweet friend! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 14, 2019 8:39 AM MST
      February 14, 2019 8:34 AM MST

• My town does not, however I am less than hour from San Francisco, which has everything.   The City is a wonderful melting pot of many races, religions, beliefs, everything.   The rest of the Bay Area will never catch up to that, but at least I don't have to drive far to it.
      February 13, 2019 7:36 AM MST

Lucky you sweetie! Well my son got his undergraduate degree from Cal Berkeley. Then he moved up there and lived in various bay area cities. He had an apartment on the bay in Foster City. He and his then-wife owned a home in Castro Valley and I  loved to go to The Exploratium when I'd visit! Also of course Beaudoin's sourdough (sp?) and Fisherman's Wharf. Expensive city to be sure but which city has more character and color and flair and je ne sais quoi? Well my son lives and teaches in Honolulu now so I can see where that would trump San Francisco for him since he is a SURFER DUDE! Thank you for your reply lavender. I was introduced to Peet's Coffee up there. And of course the best sourdough bread anywhere! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 13, 2019 8:03 AM MST
      February 13, 2019 7:52 AM MST

• My best friend used to live in Castro Valley, and my cousin and sister in law went to Cal Berkeley - small world.    Oh man, Peet's coffee is the best.  San Francisco has some of the best sourdough I have ever had.    I have heard that San Fran also has some of the best clam chowder, but I don't care for that, so I wouldn't know personally. 
      February 13, 2019 8:07 AM MST

Nice memories for both of us...a common connection in the long ago. Dare I say it? It's a small world after all! Thank you for your nifty reply lavender and Happy Valentine's Day Thursday to you and yours! :)
      February 14, 2019 8:43 AM MST

• Happy Valentine's Day to you as well.   
      February 14, 2019 8:59 AM MST

My town has less than 1300 people so it's no to all three but the gas station in town has a small kitchen that has fried chicken and subs so that's the closest thing to a deli here.

The closest Jewish deli is in Minneapolis which is 180 miles from me.

There are two Italian restaurants and lots of pizza places within 40 miles from me the closest actual Italian deli I could find on Google is also in Minneapolis.

Middle Eastern delis are a lot closer to home.  There are a few of them in Sioux Falls which is only 90 miles away.  I didn't know they were there until I looked on Google but they look really good so I should try them.

February 15, 2019 5:46 PM MST

Well if there is a market for such food.  Which there is not in many places.  Also many of us would rather do our own cooking whatever it is. Many of those foods have become to mainstream to be considered "ethnic" any longer. 
      February 15, 2019 6:59 PM MST

You missed "Indian", a blind person can find that one purely by scent - you can smell the spices a mile away. We have a big Indian deli in our suburb, there's a huge Sikh temple a couple blocks from my house. You can find a repository of most ethnic delicacies in Adelaide but often you have to travel clear across town - immigrant groups tend to congregate in particular suburbs or localities.
      February 15, 2019 8:46 PM MST

Had a tongue and turkey on rye from Junior's (near my office in Brooklyn) for lunch today. Serious Jewish soul food.
      February 15, 2019 8:52 PM MST