Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once upon a time in the long ago anywhere did any gubment actually make sense and do what was right for the people it "served"?

Once upon a time in the long ago anywhere did any gubment actually make sense and do what was right for the people it "served"?

Posted - February 12, 2019

Responses

I guess.  Otherwise we would be a nation of savages that lock up children after stripping them from their parents and lie about our opponents who run for office against us and help our enemies and hurt our allies.

How could we ever exist that way?

February 12, 2019 7:23 AM MST

Hahahahahahaha! You know that is not laughter in the usual casual normal regular sense. Right? It's sardonic sarcastic response to your spot-on reply. Sigh. Thank you for your reply and the graphic Sharon. Where do we go next? Dealer's choice?
      February 12, 2019 10:10 AM MST

You are awesome.  

February 12, 2019 10:21 AM MST

I'm just reflecting you m'dear! Take a bow! This graphic flatters him tons and bunches. The GOLD collar is a very good choice. When does he replace his teeth with diamonds? Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      February 13, 2019 1:58 AM MST

Every government only serves the interests of the majority of the people active in the government process.
    Whether we are talking a dictatorship or democracy, the active majority controls the direction of government.
    The only real difference, is who is allowed to participate in government.

In a dictatorship, the dictator is the "active majority".
    In a democracy, hopefully the citizens are.  But they also have the choice not to participate - leaving someone else to be the "active majority".

Smaller governments tend to have a higher citizenry involvement.
    At least until recently, it seems.
    People used to attend city council meetings as entertainment, as well as for involvement in government.
    Now, they stay home and watch TV - then complain about what their government is doing in their (voluntary) absence.
      February 12, 2019 7:36 AM MST

You neglected to mention those citizens who are prevented from voting  by limited locations, limited hours, trashing votes, creating last-minute fake requirements. All of which are always directed at DEMOCRATS. Poor ones. People of color.  Or old folks. Folks who have voted for years with no problem who all of a sudden are required to march to someone else's drummer... go through hoops...jump over barricades...fight the dragons nd snakes and intimidators placed there to frighten away... always toi benefit the Republicans. The ones who do their best to make voting a tribulation for folks who don't vote the way these red state movers and shakers want them to vote. Then of course some votes are always "lost". Or "miscounted". How sizeable that is I  cannot say but it is more than one and probably numbers in the THOUSANDS. If voting were on the up-and-up with no shenanigans or cheating or obstacleing then low voter turnout would be by choice of the lazy bums who are quick to complain but not there when action is required. They deserve what they get if they are too dam* lazy to get up off their lazy butts to go out and vote. For those who wait hours and hours on long lines to vote despite the hardships? They are the true patriotic Americans. Sorry for the rant. But the absence of what I brought up was glaring Walt. Glaring. One state refused to certify the votes it was so egregiously absurd. There were improprieties with regard to voting in several states. The Republicans know they can't win without cheating so of course they cheat. And usually get away with it. A pox on their houses. Thank you for your reply. I vote in primaries as diligently as I do in the general election. I vote in mid-term elections as diligently as I do in presidential elections. Does everyone do so? No. Why? I have no idea. A pox on their houses too!   :( This post was edited by RosieG at February 12, 2019 10:25 AM MST
      February 12, 2019 10:19 AM MST

Look up Athens, TN (1946) ... and what WWII veterans did when it was attempted to deny THEIR votes, by limiting access.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 13, 2019 1:59 AM MST
      February 12, 2019 12:12 PM MST

Okey doke. By the way the gaslighter-in-chief did not receive the MAJORITY of the vote by almost 3 million. He won anyway.So when you say gubment is run by the majority who get involved that is not exactly true. Our fercockta electoral college sees to that. Didn't Gore get the popular vote but Bush won anyway too? Ya want I should go all the way back to Athens, Tennessee and 1946 ? How about Athens, Greece in ancient times? I think a system sucks when the MAJORITY gets stiffed don't you? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday Walt!  :)
      February 13, 2019 2:03 AM MST

Many people complain about the Electoral College ... but forget that it was originally designed exactly to mess with the popular vote.  The Founding Fathers didn't trust the people to elect a President.  Even when white males were the main voters.

But the states control how the Electoral College votes.  (Only a couple states get it right - splitting the EC vote on the ratio of popular vote, rather than an "all or nothing" system.)  So if people don't like how the EC "works", they just need to change state laws.  
      February 13, 2019 7:00 AM MST

Thanks for the helpful reply Walt.  Is your state one that uses it sensibly...splitting it or is yours an "all-or-nothing" system? :)
      February 13, 2019 7:02 AM MST

Maine and Nebraska are the only states without the "winner take all" Electoral Votes.

Here's an interesting article regarding the ratio of EC to population, by state:

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/state_news/ratio-of-electoral-votes-to-individual-votes-varies-across-states/article_58b334d2-c49a-11e6-ad3e-47e2ce220d70.html
      February 13, 2019 7:24 AM MST

((hugs)) This is  very thoughtful and extremely helpful link Walt. I just scanned it and will go back to read it more thoroughly. I appreciate your digging it up for me. You're a real pal! Now I'm gonna take a crack at geting better educated and go back and read it! :)
      February 13, 2019 7:28 AM MST

• The difference between government then and now, is that government today is no longer making any effort to conceal its enthusiasm and zeal for all things detrimental, negative, oppressive and immoral. All we really need at this point is for a Caligula to step forward and make his horse a senator. It makes sense inasmuch as the senate is already the horse's ass.
      February 12, 2019 7:56 AM MST

Ya know what DA? I absotively agree with thee and what I wanna know is WHY? I guess all gubments do sotto voce whatever the he** they wanna do and get away with it. How can we object to that about which we know nothing? The gasbag has turned everything on it's ear. He does all his doing in plain sight. Is it arrogance? Is it ignorance? The weirdest thing is that his peeps love him for it and don't abhor him for it and want him to do more and more and more of it. D'ya know why? I love your tag line too. What kind of horse? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 13, 2019 4:20 AM MST
      February 13, 2019 4:06 AM MST