Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Wht about coyotes? Can you tame them and make them nice pets?

Wht about coyotes? Can you tame them and make them nice pets?

Posted - February 12, 2019

Responses

Doubtful. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

...I mean human trafficking is bad. We don't keep people as pets! For shame.

(Not sure it's regional, but we call people who guide illegals into the country coyotes.) 
      February 12, 2019 8:37 PM MST

That was a terrible example.   The humans are the victims, the coyotes are the predators.  

February 13, 2019 8:29 AM MST

• In general, coyotes can not be domesticated, nor should they be.
      February 12, 2019 8:58 PM MST

So true, now they are wily adversaries when hunting them.  Before I left home I had racked up quite a large tally of Coyote Pelts.  Best way to control them is find the den and kill the pups.  Coyotes are not good neighbors, especially if you Ranch or Farm has Livestock of anyform
      February 13, 2019 8:06 AM MST

• Absolutely.  My grandfather's girlfriend had a farm, and they were always have problems with those things.  They're just terrible.
      February 13, 2019 8:11 AM MST

Agreed, my tally is over 70, the ranches tally is over 300.  Very rarely do you get a clear shot, except during calving season.  the you you have to be quick and at night use infrared scopes.

The Sheepherders down by Casper stake out lambs and use multiple shooters.  They got 100 plus last spring and that did not even dent the population
      February 13, 2019 8:15 AM MST

• Wow, that's insane.  Completely believable, but insane.    Gosh, I sure do miss Wyoming though. 
      February 13, 2019 8:18 AM MST

Lavender it is necessary to maintain a balance so you do not go out of business.  that lamb is $70-$200 worth of profit when it goes to market.  My longest shot was 375 meters upwind I got 2 and we wiped out 4 dens three years back
      February 13, 2019 1:31 PM MST

So mean.   All of you.    No one is saying how to tame them, just that they cannot be tamed.  Who knows.  Ever tried?  I'm not killing any pups in any den.
      February 13, 2019 8:30 AM MST

If you raise any form of livestock you have to.  Margins in Agriculture are too thin to absorb significant losses.   Coyotes represent a significant loss around foaling time for all animals.  If you raise poultry and the are Free Range then you have significant challenge.  Cosequently the amount of poisoned bait is an ecological nightmare.

I will presume you are a city kid Nice Teeth, so you view point is understandable however indefensible.

Coyotes moving into urban populations are the bright spot.  they are predator moving into a food rich environment  created by City Kids purging requisite predators
      February 13, 2019 1:27 PM MST

Not if you also have a pet roadrunner.
      February 12, 2019 9:30 PM MST

Being from Downunder you have never dealt with the problem firsthand.  Roadrunners they catch on a regular basis as well as a lot of other crittrs.  They actually were photographed in an abandoned bar in Queens NYC.  they have been moving into urban environements because of Corporate farming pressure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/nyregion/that-howling-just-new-yorks-neighborhood-coyotes.html

https://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/wild_things/2015/07/150731_WILD_CoyoteLIC.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

February 13, 2019 8:10 AM MST

A coyote you can see from a good way off. The critters WE have to deal with (also crowding urban areas due to habitat destruction ...

February 13, 2019 8:33 PM MST

That thing is pretty scary, but at least it is pretty big.  Those brown recluse spiders that eat muscle and bone and you cannot see them at all, are even worse to me.  But I don't know this snake or what it does to us.
      February 13, 2019 8:37 PM MST

Brown snakes are deadly, agreed.  We have rattlers, not as poisonous however deadly
      February 13, 2019 9:09 PM MST

If I may interject a tad?  I am not a fan of venom.  I don't like chemicals that break down the chemistry of my organ that I need for the rest of my life.  It just kind of makes me very afraid.  To say the least.

February 13, 2019 9:14 PM MST

I hear you on that one, besides rattlesnake is a bit boney.  That said it does make a nice stew in a pinch
      February 13, 2019 9:19 PM MST

Now that would be an impossible pet.  How do you tame a road runner?   Unless you have a long leash you can lasso   him with.
      February 13, 2019 8:31 AM MST

Can you?  Sure.
    After all, we are told that all modern breeds of pet dogs descended from wolves.
    And all canines are pack animals, so it's possible a coyote or wolf would adopt a human as part of their pack.

However, given the number of dogs in shelters, it's much easier to get a canine companion that way.
      February 13, 2019 3:41 PM MST

Walt, your argument kind of goes in another direction.  I think that we have totally taken over the coyote's territory.   Especially here in Sun City, AZ.   They have NOWHERE to go.   Is that their fault?   So, maybe we need to take care of them like we do the dogs.  One is not better than the other necessarily.   

We can lessen their numbers humanely by just not encouraging their breeding habits.

And I totally am for your idea of adopting dogs from homeless shelters.   YES.  PLEASE everyone.  Take care of these wonderful animals.  Dogs are our heart.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 13, 2019 8:44 PM MST
      February 13, 2019 8:41 PM MST

One of the nice things about coyotes, is they can partially adapt to a urban setting.  They help control the population of other feral animals (cats, dogs, mice, rats, moles, etc).

And hey ... at least you don't have a pack of polar bears taking over your city.  lol
      February 14, 2019 6:52 AM MST

I looked them up.
    It said that they don't usually make good pets because, despite being genetically little different to wolves, they never form social packs or bonds and prefer to lead independent lives.
    Wolves, on the other hand, can make excellent pets given the right environment and care - loyal, loving, hardy good health, energetic and intelligent.
      February 13, 2019 10:37 PM MST