Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » Are the services of sperm banks available only to married couples, or also to single women desirous of motherhood?

Are the services of sperm banks available only to married couples, or also to single women desirous of motherhood?

Posted - February 13, 2019

Responses

I'm sure there are rules, and I don't know them.   But let's put it THIS way....

If I have a bushel of cash and I want to be a mother, are you going to DENY ME????

Oh and also, I don't need a clinic to be a mom. All I need is sperm.
      February 13, 2019 6:40 PM MST

I have what you need and I deliver.  Give me your address and I'll be right over.
      February 13, 2019 8:27 PM MST

Good friend of mine Stateside used a sperm bank to conceive her daughter.  She had no problems
      February 13, 2019 9:33 PM MST

I've been acquainted with three single women who used sperm banks so they could become mothers.
    The donors were screened for potential genetic and health issues - but I reckon some important details could slip through unnoticed.
    The catalogues listed the characteristics of the donors but withheld their identities.
    The births were successful, each of the mothers enjoyed being a mother.

Personally, I don't think it is an ideal situation. 
    One of the challenges was to earn a living, pay for child care, be available to meet the child's needs at all other times - virtually sacrificing all other aspects of life until the child was old enough to leave home. 
    The only children did not learn how to share, how to deal with family relationships, and acquired many of the mothers' dysfunctional traits.
    One reacted in the opposite direction by becoming ultra-conservative.
    Each of these women were "difficult" and therefore unable to create and maintain a stable and functional relationship with a partner or co-parent.
    I believe each of the children would have fared better with two parents.

I've also known a lesbian couple who chose a male friend to donate semen - and their family has worked out very well.

February 13, 2019 10:15 PM MST

You don't need the whole bank, you just need a deposit . . . 

~
      February 13, 2019 10:17 PM MST

A non- anonymous deposit requires 18 years of payments in localities Stateside.  That said a one time deposit at time is all that is really required
      February 14, 2019 8:38 AM MST

Anyone can use them. 
      February 13, 2019 10:21 PM MST

If you're asking from India - you would know the answers for your country best. 
    I'm guessing that in India donor sperm would only be legal for married couples.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression that most of India has roughly the same moral values and laws as were normal in the West in the 1950's - with the middle, upper and educated classes being somewhat more flexible. Radical new experiments in relationships and mores can still be prone to scandal and censure.
    But at the same time, the East tends to perceive the West as far looser than it really is. I believe that is because the internet selectively filters and distorts the reality, but also films exaggerate dysfunction because conflicts and high emotions work as commercially successful plot devices.

Although this site is about 95% American, there are a sprinkling of others here too - for instance, moderate but devout Muslim Sufi who lives in London and is thoroughly British, a couple of very open minded Danes living in Denmark, a Serb who lives in Belgium, several English and Irish, a couple of Australians etc.
    The laws for donor semen are different in every country.
    And the laws in the USA vary from state to state.
      February 13, 2019 10:51 PM MST

• You're quite correct about attitudes in India. And sperm banks do prefer to service married couples. 
      February 13, 2019 11:27 PM MST

If you're asking from India - you would know the answers for your country best. 
    I'm guessing that in India donor sperm would only be legal for married couples.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression that most of India has roughly the same moral values and laws as were normal in the West in the 1950's - with the middle, upper and educated classes being somewhat more flexible. Radical new experiments in relationships and mores can still be prone to scandal and censure.
    But at the same time, the East tends to perceive the West as far looser than it really is.
    I believe that is because the internet selectively filters and distorts the reality. Also, films made in the West exaggerate pathological dysfunctions (make them appear as though normal) because conflicts and high emotions work as commercially successful plot devices.

Although this site is about 95% American, there are a sprinkling of others here too -
    for instance, a moderate but devout Muslim Sufi who lives in London and is thoroughly British,
    a couple of very open minded Danes living in Denmark,
    a Serb who lives in Belgium,
    several English and Irish,
    a couple of Australians etc.

The laws for donor semen are different in every country.
    And the laws in the USA vary from state to state. This post was edited by inky at February 13, 2019 11:27 PM MST
      February 13, 2019 10:51 PM MST

The answer would be country specific. 
      February 14, 2019 1:28 PM MST