Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Reporting from southern California this is your local reporter telling you that 6 of the next 8 days will bring rain. Isn't that INSANE?

Reporting from southern California this is your local reporter telling you that 6 of the next 8 days will bring rain. Isn't that INSANE?

In all my born days in southern California I have personally NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE. For the last few months we keep getting storm after storm after storm after storm after storm...you get the picture right? So YOU may not believe in CLIMATE CHANGE but we in southern California are LIVING in a climate-changed state from what it used to be. Is it permanent or temporary? I dunno. We'll find out. Is your climate wackadoodly too or is it the sameoldsmeoldsameold? Weird. "There'll be a change in the weather and a change in the sea and from now on there'll be a change in me....."

Posted - February 14, 2019

Responses

Seems as though you have two conditions - drought or too much rain.  We've had some strange weather in the past couple of years here in NYC.  Just in the past two weeks, we went from 6 degrees one morning to 65 degrees two days later.  Two days ago, they predicted 2-4" of snow in NYC.  We had a little snow which turned to sleet which turned to freezing rain and then just rain - all in 24 hours.  It made for a very slippery, icy mess on roads and sidewalks.  Happy Thursday. :)
      February 14, 2019 9:17 AM MST

Weather is weird all over isn't it L? Record cold. Record rain. Record floods?  What prize will the record-holder win I wonder? Yesterday once it started raining it was a DELUGE! The street kept flooding. It was trash pickup day and we had to pull our trash barrel in from the curb a couple of feet because the waters were up over the curb and I saw someone's trash barrel in the street in front of our neighbor's driveway. It had apparently washed down from somewhere or another. When they empty the barrel the top is flipped open so immediately after our barrel was flipped Jim went out with an umbrella and shut the lid and dragged the barrel to the backyard with one hand cuz the umbrella was in the other hand! A funny sight if you weren't the one being looked at. Today right now it is not raining. But more is forecast for today and Sunday and next Thursday. The deluge lasted all day long. With very brief stops. We got all our errands done Wednesday. Today Jim has an appointment for physical therapy at 3pm locally in Hemet. I have no idea what's happened to the folks who live in the burn areas. All that rain with no ground cover to hold it and prevent it from sliding down hills and mountains. Anyway I feel like we are now Oregon or Washington where it rains a lot. Folks are used to it there. We aren't. It's a good problem to have I guess if it solves our drought problems. But how much damage will it have done?  Condolences to all whose lives have been upend by the weather. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday m'dear!  :)
      February 15, 2019 3:34 AM MST

Yes, the burn areas are going to be in big trouble.  Last night's newscast showed mudslides and homes falling down cliffsides.  It was awful.  I feel for those folks who have lost their homes and belongings.  You can bet that it's going to be very expensive to get home insurance after all the wildfires and flooding.  I wish you all good luck.  
      February 15, 2019 6:54 AM MST

Thank you my friend. Well right now it very quiet and dry. The today rainstorm is expected later on in the afternoon. Jim's appointment with a physical therapist for his plastar fascitis is at 3pm but it's only  a couple of miles from home so we won't be stuck in rush hour traffic on a freeway trying to get home during another deluge. We're doing well because we just luckily live on flat land away from mountains or streams or rivers. We never once considered that when we moved here. So we just lucked out. You're doing well at your place I hope? Finges crossed for all of us wherever we may live.
      February 15, 2019 7:12 AM MST

I'm happy to hear you aren't as affected by mudslides as others.  One of the great things about NYC is that we don't have terrible tornadoes, forest fires, mudslides, volcanic eruptions or earthquakes.  
      February 15, 2019 12:49 PM MST

Climate change will be around for awhile.  The weather we're having now will be nothing compared to what's going to happen.  No not sometime in the next 100 years.  No, not in the next 50 years, not even in the next 10 years, but within the next 1-5 years!!!  Let the fun begin!!

It's like a line of dominoes... push on one and the rest fall in succession.  The Earth is like a line of dominoes.  If just one is "jostled", the rest will quickly fall succession.  One of the dominoes jostled was carbon dioxide (CO2).  The earth was designed to handle CO2 quite efficiently.  Trees and plants act like air scrubbers, removing CO2 and keeping it locked inside.  The oceans also helps scrub CO2 from the atmosphere by dissolving it (when CO2 touches water it dissolves).  If this water gets frozen, the CO2 is frozen along with it.  

More carbon dioxide (from pollution, deforestation, and such) has been put into our atmosphere than can be handled by the natural "scrubbers".  This gave the "dominos" a push.  And away we go!

CO2 traps heat in the atmosphere (won't allow it to escape into space as readily).  This, in turn, warms up the atmosphere.  A warmer atmosphere causes upper level winds (eg. the jet stream) to slow down.  Sower winds don't move along weather systems as quickly, allowing them to dig (troughs) or amplify (ridges).  The more they dig/amplify, the stronger they become.  
    Trapped heat raiss ocean temperatures.  That, in turn, causes the ice at the polar regions to melt.  The CO2 trapped in that ice is then released back into the atmosphere.  Deforestation removes "air scrubbers". Less "scrubbers", more CO2.  Plus, when these plants are burned, it releases their stored CO2 back into the atmosphere. 

And the dominoes continue to fall...

--------------------
    Yes, the weather here is whacky too.  From very low snows on sunday to torrential rain yesterday and today (5+ inches and counting)... and back to low snows again by tonight. Winds have been gusting to well over hurricane force.  Trees and power lines are down everywhere (PG&E is out in force)!  Area rivers and creeks are raging from the rapid snowmelt.  
      February 14, 2019 2:48 PM MST

Condolences Shuhak. Yesterday the rain here rose to  FREAKISH heights! More expected today, Sunday and next Thursday. It feels like we have become Oregon or Washington where it rains A LOT! BIG  AMOUNTS.  We're getting whacked. So the worst is yet to come! OY VEY! We live on flat ground away from mountains. Yesterday was beyond bizarre weather-wise. DRIVING RAIN FOR HOURS. Brief respites of maybe 5-10 minutes then DRIVING RAIN again. Like something you see in the movies. I dunno. We go from being a desert to being in the tropics. We are not used to it!  SIGH. Buckle up. Your quixotic weather sounds way worse.  Hurricane-level winds is very scary. We are nowhere near any rivers or creeks so that's not a worry. More to come? I can hardly wait. Thank you for your very thoughtful and informative response. I guess there is finally something we are all in together. Happy Friday!  :)
      February 15, 2019 3:43 AM MST

• These current crazy conditions are exactly as I have always remembered them to be my entire life.   This IS the norm.   We (California) will have more droughts, and then we will have more insane rainy seasons like this one. We may even have some mild summers and winters. California has always been bipolar, and this seesaw effect is so very much the norm. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 15, 2019 8:20 AM MST
      February 14, 2019 2:52 PM MST

Funny. I don't remember that lavender. For me personally this is the most bizarre wackadoodle weather in my memory in southern California. Now I know that northern California has always had a lot more rain than southern California. A lot more. So your experience and mine could not possibly be the same. Here in southern California it got so bad/dry at times that when it did rain we'd go out and look up at the sky wondering what the heck that wet stuff was? Yes. i exaggerate but not by a lot. My son used to live up north as we discussed before so I was there on visits during some of your spectacularly wet weather. Thank you for your reply!  :)
      February 15, 2019 3:47 AM MST

• I always forget just how different the climate in SoCal can often times be in comparison to NorCal.  I have never lived in Southern Cal, so my experience is limited to just up here.   Today it looks like it will finally be calm, which is great news. I am not sure how much more water these creeks and reservoirs up here can handle, and once the snow pack in the Sierra melts in a few months, that will fill our reservoirs up even more. I am glad that we have finally been getting this much needed rain, however I am concerned with the amount that we have been receiving.    The current news in Tahoe is I think it's either I-80 or I-50 is closed both ways due to white out conditions. I was looking at the Truckee airport webcam, and it's pretty wild.  When all of that melts, that is what fills up our reservoirs down here.   It will be interesting to see the amounts this Summer.    
      February 15, 2019 8:19 AM MST

Of course all this crazy weather worldwide has nothing to do with climate change. Per conspiracy theorists it's all fake scam con. The purpose of which they never tell you! On another thread I told you that our relatives who live in northern Nevada have gotten snow several times! Yikes! I never lived in northern California but I visited tons of times when my son lived there. I always loved it a lot. What's not to love? Thank you for your thoughtful reply lavender!  :)
      February 16, 2019 4:42 AM MST

• I think those people have their tin foil hats on just a bit too tight. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 16, 2019 8:02 AM MST
      February 16, 2019 8:02 AM MST

This was 1-80 coming down, around Kingvale on Thursday This post was edited by designer at February 16, 2019 11:34 AM MST
      February 16, 2019 11:23 AM MST

Townsville, Australia. Last week. 

February 15, 2019 5:55 AM MST

Gosh R! Just showed Jim and he said WOW! Not the complimentary good WOW. The other kind. How far are you from this place? So the climate change badly thingy is happening everywhere simultaneously similarly? That is even scarier. Thank you for sharing what you are going through down under. I wonder. Is anywhere climate-safe or is every place prone to death by climate? Were there many deaths? Look like the town is totally wiped out. Condolences.
      February 15, 2019 7:17 AM MST

That's in northern Queensland, about two thousand miles from Adelaide. Three deaths (confirmed), billions in property damage. We have two types of rain - too much and not enough.
      February 15, 2019 8:18 PM MST

You are WAY TOO FUNNEE HUNNEE!   We got the same two types of rain. Of course climate change is all a hoax a fake a phony liberal lie.  Do you know why that is the MO of the anti-science folks? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply R!   :)
      February 16, 2019 4:43 AM MST