Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Can parents who let their children die rather than take them to doctors be prosecuted for premeditated murder?

Can parents who let their children die rather than take them to doctors be prosecuted for premeditated murder?

Or do their religious beliefs protect them from ever being held accountable?

Posted - February 14, 2019

Responses

The First Amendment merely prohibits government from endorsing any particular religion.
    (in a side bar, Oregon is considering legislation to extend "religious freedom" protections against discrimination to atheists and agnostics.)

As any other Right, one person's Right ends where it encroaches on another person.
    My religion may say that we are God's chosen people, but that doesn't allow us to break laws against murder or theft just because the victims are  "non believers".
      February 14, 2019 11:44 AM MST

What do YOU think Walt? Are such parents guilty of putting their religious beliefs before the lives of their children? Should that not be punishable? Thank you for your reply!  :)
      February 15, 2019 7:02 AM MST

Of course they're putting their religious beliefs before the lives of their children.
    Most parents do.  Just not to the extent of actually risking their child's death.
    But think about how they train their children, just by telling them "innocent" Bible stories.
       Eve was made from Adam ... thus women are less than men.
       The book of Job ... don't question God (and by extension any "Authority") no matter what it does to you.
       The book of Ruth ... again, women are dependent on the mercy of men.
       Then there's the overarching theme of the Bible ... that some people's lives are worth more than others, because of what they believe.

Should parents be punished when following their beliefs endanger their child(ren)?
    Some instances, the answer is obviously "Yes".
    But the tricky question is ... where do you draw the line? This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 15, 2019 7:44 AM MST
      February 15, 2019 7:32 AM MST

So by that kind of thinking then we are all to make ourselves tools of the government?  The only basis for freedom and equality at all is found in The Bible.  Otherwise it just does not exist and cannot stand. 
      February 15, 2019 7:38 AM MST

Strange ... freedom and equality existed for thousands of years before the Torah, which existed for thousands of years before the Bible.

I see millions of people who believe in freedom and equality, but are subservient to neither government nor the Bible. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 15, 2019 10:01 AM MST
      February 15, 2019 9:53 AM MST

Food for thought m'dear. The line is drawn when the child's best interests are harmed in any way whatsoever now or later. Period. "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me." Where does it say "thou shalt put me first forever  ahead of your own children and let them die if you think that would please me"? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Walt. So where is your line?
      February 15, 2019 7:39 AM MST

The line is drawn when the child's best interests are harmed in any way whatsoever now or later. Period.

Many Christian sects are strong on the "male dominated household" theme. 
    And it is only a matter of degree between those Christian sects, and Islamic countries where ALL women are required to have a male "guardian" they answer to.
    Would you say children are harmed by learning that women should be subservient to men?  I would.
      February 15, 2019 10:00 AM MST

You say that "Eve was made from Adam ... thus women are less than men."---actually, the symbolism of creating her from Adam's rib was to show her equality with Adam.

You say "The book of Job ... don't question God (and by extension any "Authority") no matter what it does to you."---or alternatively, This book can help us through times of suffering because it shows that God is always in charge over everything that happens to us. He wants us to learn how to endure suffering and still praise God as Job wrote if “he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face” (Job 13:15).

You say "The book of Ruth ... again, women are dependent on the mercy of men."---or it is a parallel with with the similarities and symbolism of what happens to the sinner and what the Redeemer has done for all those who have repented and trusted in Him. 

And you finish with "Then there's the overarching theme of the Bible ... that some people's lives are worth more than others, because of what they believe."---Or is it a story of God's interaction first with His chosen people and then with ALL people and all of His creation as He implements His solution to the fall of man in the Garden of Eden.
      February 15, 2019 10:45 AM MST

No I don't think the state has any right to dictate our beliefs to us.  Or to prevent us from caring for our children in the way that we think is best for them.  
      February 15, 2019 7:08 AM MST

Negligent manslaughter. To me the laws of man written to protect our children surpass anything the story book called the Bible says.
      February 15, 2019 7:47 AM MST

Well, prosecuting such parents for premeditated murder would be difficult because that would require proving intent on the part of the parents.

And even negligent homicide or manslaughter or whatever else you might conceptualize as a charge would require them to fail to act as reasonable men (and/or women) in the circumstances---and the law is not codified relative to what is a reasonable response in these situations.

And of course, the old saying applies:  Good intentions don't guarantee good results.

February 15, 2019 10:54 AM MST