Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » NY Dem. AOC happy they caused Amazon to pull out of NYC. Does she have something against good jobs who NYers? She calls it a win?

NY Dem. AOC happy they caused Amazon to pull out of NYC. Does she have something against good jobs who NYers? She calls it a win?

AOC...Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Posted - February 15, 2019

Responses

Never heard of her. If she is against jobs she must be a liberal. Get rid of all jobs and make everybody dependent on the government.  They really must think that is going to work. 
      February 15, 2019 5:24 AM MST

She is a new Representative for Brooklyn NY. The media love her..."she is the future of the party". 
      February 15, 2019 5:30 AM MST

Perhaps but sounds like she still has a lot to learn about economics. 
      February 15, 2019 5:44 AM MST

Yes, I agree. And the funny thing is she has a degree in economics. 
      February 15, 2019 5:50 AM MST

Have no idea what they teach them these days. 
      February 15, 2019 5:52 AM MST

If they keep electing all of these "future of the party" individuals like Cortez, their party won't have a future. :)
      February 16, 2019 5:28 PM MST

It shows to me neither of you ladies understands the principle of listening to the concerns of constituents. I know this is not a popular (or even a familiar) idea with Republicans. Surely your President has no regard for it. 

Fact is, the larger majority of the people in the area of Queens involved in Amazon’s plans are lower wage blue collar workers, who know they’d never have the qualifications to get hired at the proposed Amazon facility. This creates a condition ripe for gentrification: the influx of high earning professionals which will, by necessity, cause the cost of living in the area to increase. Rents increase, local prices for goods and services also increase. Working people get forced to the margins and out of their neighborhoods, while Amazon shareholders (again, not the workers in Queens) reap the dividends. Ask the residents of San Francisco or Racine, Wisconsin what those economics are like. 

Instead of pinning blame for protecting the interests of actual working Americans (a claim Republicans cannot make in any coherent way) by scapegoating your favorite enemy of the moment, I suggest to you what I’ve continued to suggest in the past: Turn off the FoxNews and do some actual research for yourself. This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 15, 2019 7:02 PM MST
      February 15, 2019 6:35 AM MST

Send the jobs to my town we will happily take them. 
      February 16, 2019 5:52 PM MST

Simple economics...put $2.5 billion into the economy...get a $3 billion tax incentive. Sounds like a great deal for Amazon share holders.
      February 15, 2019 6:43 AM MST