Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Do you also think that policemen often think they can do anything they want ?

Do you also think that policemen often think they can do anything they want ?

i respect the police, but sometimes i dont like police officers because they always acts like they're the boss and think they can do anything they want, just because they have a gun.

Posted - February 15, 2019

Responses

• Generally speaking I would say no but of course there are instances where some let the power of the position go to their head.  
      February 15, 2019 1:50 PM MST

• I spent a lot of time with the Police Dept. volunteering doing clerical work awhile ago.  I went on a couple ride-a-longs.  One Officer told me he sometimes gets to stop signs and doesn't stop ... forgetting he's not on a call. He said he needs to watch that!!   
    I respect the Police too .. but sometimes, you are going to get some who think they are above the law .. and that's scary. 
      February 15, 2019 2:28 PM MST

Hello Franc533
    I would say yes. Let me qualify.
    Although I most certainly respect the commitment and courage it takes to '' run into the fire while everyone else is running away' and the individual officer for the most part is in it to ' serve and protect'.
    What bothers the most is the institutional policies which Allow the practice of "doing anything they want", as opposed to the constitutional limitations which should be followed but are not.
    For instance, drunk driving checkpoints. While I am for getting drunk drivers off the road and think those caught should face sever penalty, it is a violation of our rights as listed in the bill of rights. We have the right to be secure in our person and papers, and we have the right to be free of unreasonable search, we have the right to due process which means we cannot be searched without warrant or probable cause. When we are pulled over without probable cause and our person's searched, I consider that as unconstitutional.
    When the police can legally lie to someone being interrogated in order to coerce a confession, or the use of a dog to do an unwarranted search, because it relieves them of that search, and the results of the K-9K-9 search holds legal power which then allows the police officers to conduct a search, or "stop and frisk" policies.
    I consider all these to be an abuse of power.
      February 15, 2019 2:38 PM MST

i kinda agree with you too. I dont say that most of the police are bad, im sure most of the police are good, but me, i experienced bad stuffs because a neighbor called the police on me one day, and they brought me to the hospital, and i ended up 3 weeks in a psychiatric hospital, and at that time i felt that the police wouldnt listen to me and consider myself 'mental sane'.
      February 16, 2019 4:30 PM MST

I think there are a minority of cops who approach their work in this way, yes. 
      February 15, 2019 3:48 PM MST

i think most of the police are good, but that night they obliged me to go to the hospital as if i had a mental problem really irritated me.
      February 16, 2019 4:31 PM MST

• In general? Not at all.   In any profession though there always seems to be at least one person who feels they can bend the rules.
      February 15, 2019 4:06 PM MST

They're trained to act in an authoritative way,
    because their job is to ensure and enforce that others obey the law.

But a police person would have to be a be mad to think he or she could do anything; guns or no guns, the law will catch up with them at some point.

There are minor situations in which they do have the right of discretion on how to respond.
    And there are plenty of situations in which they make errors of judgement.

But so many police are needed that there is no possibility to select only suitable candidates.
    Which means there will always be a percentage who have the wrong attitudes
    and may be prone to abuse of their powers and to corruption.

I've known two or three policemen socially, distantly, but have never had cause to be on the receiving end of police attention.
    So what I know is only the theory of how it should be,
    memories of abuses that made the news,
    and assumptions based on awareness of human nature.
    This post was edited by inky at February 16, 2019 2:16 AM MST
      February 15, 2019 6:01 PM MST

If a police officer has initiated contact with you, I would assume he is trained to project that he is in charge of the situation.

I would be content to encourage him to feel that way.
      February 15, 2019 6:06 PM MST

Not any I know and we are very supportive of police in general.  What they do sometimes that I think is really not their job is they think they should give a lot of advice as though they know better when all their expertise is in law enforcement.  And there was an instance in a neighboring town near where I live where the police tried to take over the town government which was entirely wrong since they are town employees. 
      February 15, 2019 6:55 PM MST

There are lots of places where cops can stop a random traveler and rob them. They even have a gizmo that will drain a debit card. Cops in Oklahoma robbed a deputy from a neighboring county and the courts just refused to get involved. In some places a cop is allowed to rape a female after arresting her. 
      February 15, 2019 8:37 PM MST

Say what?  Citation please on the Gizmo, that is hard to believe
      February 16, 2019 4:30 AM MST

February 16, 2019 2:50 PM MST

Thank you, a frightening New World.  Does not surprise me it is OK, I would suspect Texas and Kansas are not far behind.  Asset forfeiture in the US, Local, State and Federal is a disgrace.  since it is being used to fund Police Departments etc I do not expect it to go away
      February 16, 2019 3:26 PM MST

I have run across a lot of good cops and a few bad ones.  It happens in any social group which should not be a surprise to anyone.  these guys have a tough job and are vilified - consequently they will act and react to this.

When dealing with any cop/officer always be polite.  Do not give them any sass or attitude.  They have control and the gun, you may be right however you could also be dead. 

Do note it is worse in some regions of the US than it is in Austria and most of the EU
      February 16, 2019 4:33 AM MST

We don't have many killer police in England as most foot Plod aren't given guns...I do notice the ones that do ,do like to show them off though ,rather than being discrete ...
    A  female armed police officer on duty at The Old Bailey high criminal court  in London ,left her loaded weapon hanging on the door of the femal public toilets ....nothing was ever done to her....
    Other Armed officers left their loaded automatic weapons in plain view in the entrance to Shoreditch police station while they parked  their van.....they were 2-3 feet from hundreds of people walking by.....
    We don't need more armed police....:(
      February 16, 2019 1:00 PM MST

Nice Jugs sometimes they are necessary.  I spend a lot of time in the Mideast and Africa, even w/o guns that is a very scary place.  With guns more so.  I have been held up at Police Checkpoints by the Police just because I am white and not from Africa.

I have been in their shoes more than once, consequently I have great empathy for a Cops plight in life.  I have also had to have a couple of bad ones busted in the US, which was a tortuous and long trail.  I have been threatened, I have been harassed,  and I have actually been on the wrong side of the argument with the police.  I have had one Judge jailed, tried and convicted ultimately serve Prison Time in Minnesota.

Do note my in my former life, my footsteps were not normal
      February 16, 2019 2:18 PM MST

I'm not sure what you mean with the last line you write ! 
      February 16, 2019 2:22 PM MST

My time before I was a civilian in the Corps.  We mounted a campaign against a number of crooked cops, sheriffs, counties and Judges.  We started ad hoc and recruited the DOJ and a few others.  We raised hell with the establishment with a number of arrests etc.  I got so sick of the bias something had to be done.  We had a great many convictions and early retirement rate and PO' d a lot of State & Local Politicians.

Note I still will not drive through Louisiana

That was slightly over 20 years ago This post was edited by Archerchef at February 16, 2019 2:39 PM MST
      February 16, 2019 2:29 PM MST

I can't say as I blame you......it should be that those that do that job are beyond reproach....sadly many are not and it takes only one pea in the pod to tarnish them all :( 
      February 16, 2019 2:42 PM MST

To quote Robocop; "Dead or alive, you're coming with me". 
      February 16, 2019 12:18 PM MST

How very true....Watch the video of Leon Roberts on ytube.....it's horrific,a skinny harmless guy tasered and  beaten  to a pulp many times by huge heroic American police offices and almost killed for not thinking the police wanted to stop him for driving at 25 mph down a road on his way home......for this horrific crime and for letting a police man break his hand on him while nearly blinding him,he received a four year prison sentence.......
    When he gets released he will not be permitted to sue said heroes for their crimes......

All those officers should get ful  life  sentences.....
      February 16, 2019 12:32 PM MST