Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Do animals attack more because they are territorial or protecting or hungry or mean?

Do animals attack more because they are territorial or protecting or hungry or mean?

Posted - February 16, 2019

Responses

All four, depends on the species and the animal.
    Dogs depends on the breed and training.  Most are territorial and protective like our Labradors.
    Grizzly Bears any of the 4
    Deer etc, in rutting season Males will attack anything that approaches their females.  the rest of the year protective and defensive
    Horses, cows and other farm animals depends on the animal

Humans the most dangerous of the lot.  Any, all or a combination and a human changes by the minute

Now it should have been - Territorial, Protective, Hungry, or Mean
      February 16, 2019 4:25 AM MST

I've had a long history with horses.

No horse is naturally mean, even in the wild.
    A stallion will fight another for a mate.
    A mare will defend her foal against a predator or another mare trying to steal her foal.
    Any horse will defend itself against a predator.
    Their first move is to shy &/or bolt.
    They will only fight (rear, buck, kick, strike or bite) if there is no other option.

It takes regular mishandling by humans to make a horse snappy or prone to attack.
    And they never forget.

If a horse is treated well, in accordance with its needs, it will never attack and never display any sign of anger or resentment.
      February 16, 2019 6:50 PM MST

Yes.
    ~
      February 16, 2019 6:18 AM MST

In the province that i live, in rural areas , bears are known to live . one time i was in vacation during summer, and we were in a very rural area, filled with forests everywhere...

i was walking around the lake, it takes like 30-45 minutes of walking. and i have to admit i was fearing to encounter a bear. i never encountered a bear in the wild before, but i was fearing cause i was thinking ' if it would want to attack me'.

but my mom told me theres nothing to fear , cause bears dont eat humans , he would probably just look at me and pass by.

February 16, 2019 11:31 AM MST

Bears will both attack and eat humans, they are omnivores.  Now is it common not really, say 10-16 times a year in the US and Canada
      February 16, 2019 2:33 PM MST

If an animal attacks it always has a good reason.

No animal is "mean" unless it has been trained to attack
    or has rabies or some disease that affects its brain.
      February 16, 2019 6:43 PM MST

Sometimes they even seem to attack for no reason, particularly those dogs that just loved killing my birds. They never even ate them, they just tore them apart and left. I wouldn't be so mad if they ate them at least because it just seems like they've done it for fun. What makes me most upset are the dingleberries that let their dogs run loose because "he'll lick you to death!" Yeah, they might be nice to people but not other animals..
      February 17, 2019 4:27 PM MST