Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Are you or have you ever been interested in children's books?

Are you or have you ever been interested in children's books?

I love books. Especially children's books. I went to a book store today and just perused the children's book section. There are so many books that children can read and learn from. One of my favorite things to do at the end of a school year when my son was little was to take him to a book store and buy him books to read during the summer. 

Gosh, I'm going to be a grandma that only buys her grandchildren books. If they ever have children. I have saved all of my son's books and could give them a huge library! 

Posted - February 16, 2019

Responses

The best children's books are adult books as well.  Great literature is great literature no matter who it is intended for.  I read to my step-grandchild though he is still too young to really comprehend. 
      February 16, 2019 7:33 PM MST

I agree. One year for Christmas, my son bought me the entire collection of Lemony Snickets, series of unfortunate events. I loved everyone and still have them to pass on. I still have all of my son's little golden books. I'm not sure if they even make those anymore or if any new ones are even written.
      February 16, 2019 7:51 PM MST

• Every summer when my daughter was little, the library would have a reading program for children.  They read so many books, note the author and title, and they get little prizes.  Nothing fancy, just maybe a cute pencil or bookmark.  She always participated, and I was happy to hear that after all of these years the library still does that every year.     
    When I held my daughter's baby shower a few weeks ago, I requested that rather than cards, include a little book instead, signed by them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 16, 2019 1:42 PM MDT
      February 16, 2019 7:38 PM MST

I love them. I've passed many of my children's books on to my niece and nephew, but I still have some special ones that I hope to give to my future grandchildren someday. 
      February 16, 2019 8:22 PM MST

Yes, in the context of reading to children.  Today's children books are often political propaganda hiding in a sweet story.  I urge parents to know what their children are reading and what is being read to them. 
      February 16, 2019 9:51 PM MST

I used to write children's books - The Blobs, similar to Roger Hargreaves' Mr Men. I read to my grandson when he will sit still for long enough - he's particularly fond of the Rev Awdry's Railway series (the basis for Thomas the Tank Engine, one of Awdry's characters).
      February 16, 2019 11:52 PM MST

If I could draw, I would have written several by now, I need an illustrator.  One day I hope to have at least one to leave for posterity.  This post was edited by . at March 16, 2019 1:43 PM MDT
      February 17, 2019 6:33 AM MST

• Absolutely...nostalgia always has me wrapped around it's little finger. One of my kids is right at the age where he's still learning and he reads, reads, and reads. I'm always trying to track down my old favorites from childhood that I can force him to read too, haha. 
      February 18, 2019 6:08 AM MST

I love the Children's and young adults books section, it is a wonderful treat to walk through.  I love the feel of a book and turning of the page.  The electronic readers bother me for many reasons. 

Green Eggs and Ham I do find particularly loathsome, followed by Are you my Mother?.  My oldest loved those books, the youngest love those books.  As a parent however I have read them one too many times and will do so tonight.......  I am Sam I am........ Yuck, Yuck, Yuck

Now as the twins fo for their bookcase, guess what is grabbed....

Disclaimer:  Theis whine is done by an involved parent, it does not represent the Management (aka Mom), Resident Labradors or the Grandparents
      February 18, 2019 7:15 AM MST

Would you? Could you? In a box?
    Would you? Could you? With a fox?
      February 18, 2019 6:20 PM MST

On a train
    On a plane
    I want to burn that d__m book just the same
      February 19, 2019 4:24 AM MST

• Actually yes! 
    They are hands down, my favorite form of literature. 
    I buy, read, and collect them.
    What a priceless and endearing form of artistry and media.

See the source imageSee the source image
    See the source imageImage result for the velveteen rabbit book
      March 16, 2019 1:41 PM MDT

My children were raised on Dr. Seuss. I don't recall ever reading children's books. I recall very little prior to six years old, but somebody taught me to read. At age seven my aunt gave me a set of science books and I could read and understand them. I have no clue how that happened. It was like I magically woke up one day and knew stuff.
      March 16, 2019 1:49 PM MDT