Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Here's something with which you may agree or dis. I think it is a woman's JOB to cook nutritious foods for her family. Do you?

Here's something with which you may agree or dis. I think it is a woman's JOB to cook nutritious foods for her family. Do you?

They do not have to LIKE doing it. But isn't it the obligation of parents to guide protect educate their children?  Are your kids fat and always sick? What kinds of foods do you feed them? You realize you are training them every day they are with you don't you? Grabbing fast food junk because they like it, it's convenience, it's cheap and you hate cooking isn't gonna cut it. OK. Smack away. I'm ready.

Posted - February 17, 2019

Responses

No I do not Rosie....My mum is the main cook in my family home and stayed at home to raise and care for all six kids my parents had.....
    Predominantly my mum cooks most of the food and my dad cooks also when he's home when ever he can....
    My dads a great cook to and he cooks things my mum just can't mimic....
    My mother cooks by instinct though and my dad has to always think about what he's doing and messes up a tiny bit if anyone disturrbs his train of thought....lol

When his grand kids are there it him they go to for food or take chunks out if a sandwich he is eating...,if he puts one down ,there is always some little tiny hand to take it if it's left unprotected....:)  
      February 17, 2019 5:17 AM MST

I agree that whichever parent does it better should do it! But one parent should take on that responsibility in my opinion. Who else is there going to be to train educate protect their kids if they don't? Thank you for your reply D! :)
      February 17, 2019 10:59 AM MST

I agree. But there is nothing wrong with fast food or take out every now and again. 
      February 17, 2019 5:31 AM MST

Not necessarily. I think she has to want to for one thing.  Then she has to know just what food is nutritious which she may not.  When you get into food you get into a lot of habits and likes and dislikes so it becomes very personal.  You can tell people OK this is nutritional but they may well still just go with their gut and make what they like or what their husband likes.  Which they have every right to. 

I was hardly taught to cook at all growing up but when I got away from home it was just something I naturally gravitated to because I couldn't do much of anything else so by cooking and cleaning I could at least fit in and be more useful and accepted.  I have always cooked for men and continue to. I also was fortunate enough when I was young to learn something about nutritious and natural foods although was years before I got it together enough to really do it. 

I agree fast and junk and industrial food is not good for anybody but for many people has become a way of life.  Too bad. Lots of men do cook now for themselves and their families but I know of young men and women who do not cook at all and just never have.  We use our time and efforts to do what we want or what we think best.  Some women don't do so well in the kitchen, same as many men.  So their talents should be best employed elsewhere. 
      February 17, 2019 6:04 AM MST

Perhaps. Unless, of course, the man of the house does the cooking. And what happens in the case of male same-sex households?
      February 17, 2019 6:19 AM MST

• it's both parents job to cook and feed their children. however they decide to make it work is up to them. at my parents house my stepfather does most of the cooking because my mom works a full time job and commutes two hours a day on a good day. they cook together on the weekends. 
    also if someone's kids are fat it's because they eat TOO MUCH not what they are eating. they may or may  not be nutrient deficient on a fast food diet but as long as they eat what their body needs and no more than that they shouldn't be overweight. if someone TDEE is 2000 calories a day they can eat that in chocolate, filet o fishes or kale, and they won't gain weight or lose it. i eat almost solely take out/fast food but because i don't eat a whole bunch of it and i am very active i still am tiny. 
      February 17, 2019 6:45 AM MST

Woman's job? No. Parents' job, yes. 

February 17, 2019 7:47 AM MST

• I would not mind at all if  fast food were completely abolished.  It's toxic and disgusting, and just because it seems to be convenient, it doesn't mean parents should be feeding their children that poison.  I feel it's irresponsible, even "once in awhile" is too much.   
      February 17, 2019 8:37 AM MST

Thank you for your reply sweetie. I have to undo a screwup relating to this question. You'll know it when you see it! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 18, 2019 5:09 AM MST
      February 17, 2019 11:01 AM MST

• Aw, I wouldn't worry about it. If the screw-up is what I think it is, I knew what you meant.  :)
      February 17, 2019 11:51 AM MST

But that would require more government regulation and control over our lives than many Americans would care for. If anything, cigarettes should be abolished before fast food.
      February 17, 2019 6:39 PM MST

• Yes. I absolutely agree with you.  
      February 17, 2019 6:41 PM MST

Don't be insane.

Of course not.  Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I have to cook clean sew or take care of anybody.   You think Michelle Obama lives this way?

Some of us are busy taking care of our own lives and pay people to help us with the rest. Some of us married a man to do that stuff and are the career person and some of us have husbands who help do half the work.   Some of us have kids who pitch in.  There is no one way and women are not expected to do anything just because they are female.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 18, 2019 5:09 AM MST
      February 17, 2019 11:02 AM MST

You have a vagina? Who knew? LOL.
      February 17, 2019 7:22 PM MST

Thank you for your reply.
      February 18, 2019 5:09 AM MST

As a single dad of 2 kids who I had full custody of I would disagree with the idea of this being a woman's job, so would my kids.
    I do agree however that as a parent it was my job to feed them well.
    I always cooked fresh food for them for several reasons. First I wanted them to eat healthy foods and second it was our time to spend together.
    The kids would always help, chopping, stirring, measuring etc. This was valuable time for us. The time we spent preparing our meals was just as important as the food we prepared.
    My children have continued this and my son always sends me pictures of the meals he has prepared.
    It is almost a competition between us as he fancies himself a better cook than I am, I of course, disagree...
      February 17, 2019 1:39 PM MST

I do think both parents are responsible for providing adequate nutrients and other basic needs for their children. 

But a quick internet search provides the comment "40 million Americans struggle with hunger, the same as the number of people officially living in poverty. Based on annual income, 72% of the households the Feeding America network served in 2014 lived at or below the federal poverty level with a median annual household income of $9,175."

My father, partially as a result of his upbring, told my mother that his intent was to provide good food and good medical treatment for himself and his family when he got married.

He had a good job and we always had both food, shelter, and medical care.

I suppose part of the reason for that was his job and decent post-war economic climate.
      February 17, 2019 8:09 PM MST