Active Now

my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What should be the penalty for parents who don't get their kids vaccinated?

What should be the penalty for parents who don't get their kids vaccinated?

Posted - February 17, 2019

Responses

• I don't know about punishment.  Not vaccinating children should definitely NOT be an option though. I found this article, and I feel all states should implement this:

Following a measles outbreak in 2015, California passed one of the strictest mandatory vaccination laws in the country.

It requires that all children attending school in the state have up-to-date vaccinations for 10 diseases: tetanus, diphtheria, measles, pertussis, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B, influenza B, polio, and chickenpox.

Under the California law, unvaccinated children are barred from attending public or private schools, as well as day care programs (there is the punishment that I agree with). The only permitted exemptions are for medical reasons.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/should-parents-be-punished-for-not-vaccinating-children#3

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 17, 2019 9:17 PM MST
      February 17, 2019 9:56 AM MST

My goodness such a course of vaccinations could maim them for life.  Remind me never to return to CA - had no idea things had become like that there. 
      February 18, 2019 7:45 PM MST

None.  It is and should be a parent's prerogative.
      February 17, 2019 10:51 AM MST

No.  You don't bring a kid into a room of kids that could get something from other kids because they are not vaccinated.

If you want a sick kid, keep sick kid at home.  My kid is NOT going to get sick because you don't believe in universal health for all.

Keep your kid home and home schooled.  
      February 17, 2019 10:54 AM MST

This question is not about "universal health for all."  I don't even know what that is but it sounds dangerous. 
      February 17, 2019 10:57 AM MST

OY VEY!!!
      February 17, 2019 11:42 AM MST

• Shame on you.   
      February 17, 2019 11:53 AM MST

Get the kid vaccinated or get him homeschooled from some idiot that is also not vaccinated.
      February 17, 2019 10:54 AM MST

• the funny thing is most if not all anti vax parents were probably vaccinated as children because back in those days when people were getting polio no one wanted to be an edge lord in the face of the iron lung 
      February 17, 2019 4:43 PM MST

Murder is legal if you claim it is your right to vaccinate or not vaccinate people.  That is like airborne aids.  One unvaccinated kid could be responsible for disease and death of many.   No brainer.  
      February 17, 2019 9:21 PM MST

It is your right to get vaccinated so do.  You then not worry about what others do and do not do.  No brainer.
      February 18, 2019 8:59 PM MST

• I think it's just plain dangerous for the unvaccinated child, as well as others who will be around that child.  I'm not completely for dictating what parents should do with their children, but as with anything else, parents should have some kind of consequence for not giving their kids the proper medical care and getting them vaccinated is part of that IMO.  Sadly, the penalty is going to be for the child .. not the parent.  

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 19, 2019 12:40 PM MST
      February 17, 2019 10:59 AM MST

The kids should have to stay home. In other words, mommy or daddy will have to stay home with them. That's penalty enough. I have had students pulled from my classroom by the school nurse for not having updated vaccinations.
      February 17, 2019 11:21 AM MST

Don't they check for that during enrollment?
      February 17, 2019 11:43 AM MST

• Thankfully they do in California.  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case in Washington state where the anti vaxing idiots are allowing their children to run around with measles. Apparently Washington isn't the only state enabling the irresponsible parents. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 17, 2019 9:18 PM MST
      February 17, 2019 3:14 PM MST

One nurse...1,000 students.
      February 17, 2019 8:03 PM MST

Seriously, why do you all care so much what another parent does? If you're worried about your kids and think vaccinating them is right, then do it. Obviously, my unvaccinated kid isn't going to get your vaccinated kid sick. My decision not to vaccinate has no bearing on anyone's family but mine. The only exception to this being kids who have immune disorders and cannot be vaccinated. In which case, they're unfortunately ticking time bombs anyway. Something's going to get them sick if you take them out in public. It's just a matter of what. 

Last week, I got a notice from my children's school reminding me that, if even one child at the school has a reported case of measles, they'll be out for a minimum of 21 days, and that I should rush to vaccinate them. I sent a polite reminder that my kids are allergic to the MMR, so if there was a way to alter communications, they probably should. We won't ever be doing the MMR. It could well result in death for my kids. I heard crickets back. I'm well aware my kids will miss school if measles wind up at the school. So be it. 

And, yeah, most of the anti-vax trash-talking doesn't apply to me because I do have a medical reason for not doing it, but this discussion could just as well be for something like chicken pox, which I declined for philosophical reasons. What I choose to do is not anybody's business but mine, my children's father's, and our doctor's. Nobody has any right to decide what I do with my body or my children's. Period. 

I'd be more interested to know what the penalty for people who push their values and beliefs of others should be.  
      February 17, 2019 1:43 PM MST

You say, "What I choose to do is not anybody's business but mine, my children's father's, and our doctor's. Nobody has any right to decide what I do with my body or my children's. Period."

It that really what you think, or do you want to narrow that statement's application to a specific context?
      February 17, 2019 3:08 PM MST

Wasn't it you that I had the discussion in which I likened this to the abortion debate? If it's my health or my children's health, the only people who should be involved in any decisions are the parents and the physician. That's across the board. I can't think of a single situation in which it would not apply. 
      February 17, 2019 3:49 PM MST

So if you, your children's' father, and your doctor decide to abuse your children, then you will defend your right to do that?

February 17, 2019 4:04 PM MST

A medical doctor would not support child abuse. Nice try though. 
      February 17, 2019 7:51 PM MST

Nice try to be on point.

So no medical doctor has ever been arrested for child abuse?

February 17, 2019 7:53 PM MST

February 17, 2019 8:03 PM MST

Goodness, I haven't heard anyone accuse me of that in years.  The last person who suggested that to me called claimed himself a logician in some of his answers.

And yet, no logician would object to clarifying the actual extension his undistributed propositions.

Eventually, he faded away from the Q & A websites.  
      February 17, 2019 8:36 PM MST