Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What should be the penalty for parents who don't get their kids vaccinated?

What should be the penalty for parents who don't get their kids vaccinated?

Posted - February 17, 2019

Responses

I wouldn’t advocate any penalty for someone exercising what is a legal choice. I would expect, however, that they would still face adverse societal consequences, like being denied school enrollment or foreign travel. 

Anti-vax is a bad call, IMO, but it is free country. 
      February 17, 2019 4:06 PM MST

We still have god given rights in this country, and declining medical treatment is one of them. A prisoner has a right to refuse food, and the jailer will not force feed him. So you are talking about a violation of rights that is not even inflicted on a prisoner.
      February 17, 2019 10:56 PM MST

One has the right to refuse medical treatment for oneSELF. This is wilfully withholding medical treatment from someone ELSE, and risking their death or permanent disability by so doing. Franklin Roosevelt got a "mild" case of poliomyelitis, and was confined to his wheelchair for most of his life. A serious case would have seen him in an iron lung.

February 18, 2019 6:01 AM MST

Same as any other parent who wilfully neglects their child - welfare steps in and the neglected child is removed from their care. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 18, 2019 11:56 AM MST
      February 18, 2019 5:55 AM MST

In Austria it is Jail Time and loss of custody of your children due to Neglect and Endangerment - Oh yeah there is no waiver because of moral or religious grounds.

I think that is fair and just.  Why should your children endanger mine for some goofy ideas which you hold dear
      February 18, 2019 7:26 AM MST

WTF are you talking about? A vaccinated child is not endangered by an unvaccinated child. That's what you think the vaccination is for, amirite?
      February 18, 2019 11:54 AM MST

Not sure not from the disease per se, but from the parents attitudes.  I firmly believe the jail time (Zeit im Heft) is too lenient for these folks. We had that problem a few years back from some Roma in the 21st.  It was a mess
      February 18, 2019 12:22 PM MST

Okay so my vaccinated child plays with your unvaccinated children - comes home with the virus on his skin, clothes and in his hair, and infects his baby brother who is only a few weeks old and hence hasn't been vaccinated yet. The infant dies from diptheria. Your fault. QED.
      February 18, 2019 6:35 PM MST

They should receive a tax credit. 
      February 18, 2019 7:06 PM MST

The fallacy here is that just because something is a good idea that doesn't mean it should be a law.
      February 19, 2019 12:11 PM MST

Here, here!!!   Freedom is choosing for yourself.
      February 19, 2019 12:37 PM MST