Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you understand what's going on with Brexit?

Do you understand what's going on with Brexit?

Posted - February 18, 2019

Responses

Not a lick.  But the difference is, I don't give my opinion on matters I don't understand like Trump's base does.

They don't understand this country either.  But they think they do.  

February 18, 2019 9:52 AM MST

A most unusual name and avi, Sharon.
      February 18, 2019 10:34 AM MST

Well look who's talkin?
      February 18, 2019 11:25 AM MST

• No, I don’t even know important  stuff like  who’s hosting the Oscars on Sunday. I’m completly out of it lately. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 18, 2019 11:54 AM MST
      February 18, 2019 9:53 AM MST

• I don't know about Brexit either .. but I heard that no one is hosting the Oscars this year.  New format I guess.

February 18, 2019 9:57 AM MST

• That’s weird, but thanks for the info :)
      February 18, 2019 10:03 AM MST

• You're welcome.  I guess they didn't always have hosts in the past ... 
      February 18, 2019 10:04 AM MST

• I don’t usually watch the whole thing. I just like to watch the opening. I guess won’t watch that this year:/ 
      February 18, 2019 10:05 AM MST

• I DVR it and skip through most of it ... lol!  Who knows what they'll concoct for an opening.

February 18, 2019 10:08 AM MST

• You’ll have to let me know on Monday what they came up with.. if remember lol. 
      February 18, 2019 11:06 AM MST

I can't believe this but Kevin Hart now says he is on board to do the hosting.   I wish they would make up their minds.

February 18, 2019 12:05 PM MST

• Kevin Heart?? Isn’t he a wrestler from the 80s??
      February 18, 2019 1:03 PM MST

No.  He is a comedian.   He is big news right now because he made some homophobic remarks and took them back and then the Oscars want him anyway.

Sheesh.

Kevin Hart Talks Oscars Controversy & If He Would Ever Host If Asked Again

By Taylor Fields

January 4, 2019

Kevin Hart

It's been nearly a month since Kevin Hart opted to relinquish his 2019 Academy Awards hosting duties after several homophobic tweets posted between 2009 and 2011 resurfaced. The tweets contained derogatory language referring to the LGBTQ community in addition to comments on sexuality. Now, the actor is opening up about everything that has happened since stepping down from being this year's Oscar's host and its surrounding controversy. 

Hart recently appeared on Variety's "Playback with Kris Tapley" podcast and reflected on the last several weeks, his apology, why he really gave up his spot has Oscars host, his current relationship with the Academy, and if the door is still open for Hart to host the annual awards show.

Over the last few weeks, Hart has apologized for his tweets and during the "Playback" podcast and it seems he has taken away an important lesson. He told Tapley, "Not only did I address it, I apologized, and after apologizing I said I understand why people would be upset from these tweets, why people would be hurt, why people would be damaged, and you know what? I get it. So not only am I sorry, I'm going to make it a point to never joke like this again because I understand." He added, "So within a 10-year span of my career you don’t see any blemishes. You don’t see any signs of me going back to that young comedian that I was then that was looking for an ignorant laugh."

As for why he ultimately stepped down as the host of this year's Academy Awards, as he stated in his original apology on social media, that he did not want to be a "distraction" during the show. He explained:

"Me doing the Oscars was to take the tension off of the Oscars. It's been so uptight for the last I don't know how many years. 'Kevin we want you to host because we want you to lighten the mood up and bring you and your essence to this night.' That was immediately taken away, because any promo that I do leading up to it, I'm still talking about past tweets that I've addressed years ago. Me touching the stage at the Oscars, I would then have to address the tweets that I talked about from years ago. It just made me say to myself, 'I'm not going to play the game that society wants people to play right now.' Your past is your past for a reason. When you apologize for something, either your apology is accepted or it’s not. If it is, then we move forward and what you do when you move forward is become better. So when there’s signs of an individual becoming better, when there are signs of an individual doing better, then what else is really needed?"

In Hart's original apology posted to social media in December, he said, "I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscars. This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I'm sorry that I hurt people... I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again."

Hart says that he believes the apology was done in a "fashion that was true to [him]" and even apologized again adding, "I'll state it again, to anybody I’ve hurt, I’m sorry." He also added, "I'm not going to partake in hosting the Oscars at this point.

While Hart may not be hosting the Oscars this year, could the door still be open to host in the future? The comedian says, in regards to his relationship with the Academy that there is "no ill will" but that he "wouldn't do it" -- ever, even despite his recent support from Ellen DeGeneres.

He further explained, "It’s done. The moment came and it was a blessing and I was excited at the opportunity, and I still am. In my mind I got the job, it was a dream job, and things came up that simply prohibited it from happening. But I don’t believe in going backwards. When I go on that stage, it will be because I’ve somehow figured out a way to win the Oscar. Somehow I’ll get to the stage but it’s not going to be in this way, because it just comes with such a weird cloud at this point. But there’s no ill will toward the Academy at all

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 20, 2019 10:16 AM MST
      February 20, 2019 10:14 AM MST

Are they giving him a step-stool behind the podium?
      February 23, 2019 1:09 PM MST

I don't think even the Brits know anything about it. I'll ask NJ.
    The only Oscar I know about is Oscar Robinson.

This post was edited by Element 99 at February 23, 2019 11:31 AM MST
      February 18, 2019 10:33 AM MST

The only thing I know for sure is that politicians and those in power and our entire legal system and banks are going to make a huge killing....there pockets will be bulging within days.....
    For the minows that have to work it will be an entirely different story though.....
    The working poor are bleed enough....one tiny hic cup will see many loose their homes and the banks once again will make their killing.... 
      February 23, 2019 11:39 AM MST

Try having a banking royal commission or legally-empowered-and compelled investigation.
    In Australia the biggest banks were court defrauding their customers on a scale of billions of dollars:
    dead people charged fees for no services,
    investors in equities charged fees for no services,
    loans and insurance policies not needed or wanted sold to people with intellectual disabilities and dementia,
    mortgages made to low income people who could not possibly afford to repay them, guaranteeing default and bank enriching themselves.
    The CEO's knew about it and ran an aggressive culture of insisting on these practices
    and sacking staff who refused or tried to blow the whistle.

Now the banks are being forced to pay back what they stole from customers.
    The report made recommendations which both sides of politics promise to implement. (Lets hope they keep the promise.)
    The new legislation will set new penalties and a permanent taskforce set up to surveil and police bank practices.
    There is talk of prohibiting banks from giving financial advise or managing investment portfolios
    due to the inherent conflict of interest.

February 24, 2019 10:34 PM MST

Only the barest of the basics.  I could probably from form a one-sentence explanation of it if outerspace aliens abducted me and took me up to the mothership for interrogation about life on Earth.
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at February 20, 2019 12:03 PM MST
      February 18, 2019 10:46 AM MST

My total understanding of it is that the UK wants to remove itself from the European Union.  However, there are so many intertwined relationships and treaties with other member nations that it could prove disastrous.  
      February 18, 2019 10:53 AM MST

At this point, no matter what Parliament or whoever decides everyone is screwed. So what is left is choosing the lesser of the evils out of this whole thing.
      February 18, 2019 11:01 AM MST

Many years ago, when the concept of the EU was first being considered, I was on vacation in Italy.  I recall asking someone how they felt about all the European countries tying themselves to one another and she said she thought that in the long run, the idea would fail.  I wonder if she knows how right she is.
      February 18, 2019 8:44 PM MST

For all I know that could be a nude dancer. Except that people tend to be more appreciative of nude dancers.
      February 18, 2019 12:55 PM MST

The biggest stumbling block at the moment is the Irish border (also known as the Northern Irish border or British Border in Ireland):

From Wikipedia:

"The Irish border question is a controversy about the impact that Brexit, the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, will have on the Republic of Ireland–United Kingdom border on the island of Ireland, in particular the impact it may have on the economy and people of the island were customs or immigration checks to be put in place at the border. It was prioritised as one of the three most important areas to resolve in order to reach a Withdrawal Agreement."

A particular source of contention is the so-called "backstop", which is briefly explained here:

https://fullfact.org/europe/irish-backstop/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3-eAr4Cx4AIV7ZztCh3gCQ-LEAAYASAAEgLskfD_BwE

More generally, the difficulty in reaching a withdrawal agreement is compounded by the partisan and (in the Conservatives' case) intra-party divisions, and also by the fact that the Government is a minority administration dependent upon the support of the Democratic Unionist Party, who hold 10 seats in Northern Ireland, to be able to govern.

(edited for misplaced apostrophe) This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at February 20, 2019 12:04 PM MST
      February 18, 2019 1:57 PM MST

Don't you find it a little suspect that the Conservatives teamed up with the Democratic Unionist Party, bearing in mind the position we are now in with the Border debate? I do.  It appears they'll put any stumbling block in the way to leaving.
      February 20, 2019 10:03 AM MST