Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you understand what's going on with Brexit?

Do you understand what's going on with Brexit?

Posted - February 18, 2019

Responses

What?  

What conservatives?  What Democratic Unionist Party?  Are we in the United States now?  What has this to do with Brexit?  What does this have to do with the BORDER????

Oh you mean there is another border?  I thought you were talking about Mexico. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 20, 2019 12:05 PM MST
      February 20, 2019 10:12 AM MST

February 18, 2019 3:20 PM MST

With Theresa May's deal the UK are not getting what they voted for, which is why MP Gareth Johnson resigned as whip.

So there are four simple tests to check whether parliament really intends to leave the EU

1) Does the UK still charge protectionist import taxes (tariffs) on non- EU imports and send the proceeds to Brussels?
    If the answer is yes, the UK hasn't REALLY left the EU.

2) Has the UK paid, or is continuing to pay money to the EU in return for trade?
    If yes, then we are unlikely to have left.

3) Has the UK regained control of its fishing waters?
    If no, we haven't REALLY left.

4) Is the UK still subject to European laws?
    If yes, we haven't REALLY left.

February 18, 2019 4:43 PM MST

Cooperation for mutual benefit works.  "Globalism" does not. 
      February 18, 2019 7:03 PM MST

I understand that the UK could well fly apart at the seams. Scotland, Northern Ireland and most of Wales didn't want to leave and still don't. Only England voted leave, and may have to face it alone. They're also panicking, they voted for something they didn't fully understand (those that bothered to vote at all - mostly elderly) and as the deadline is closing in with nothing resembling a deal in place, the outcome is potentially disastrous. The non-self-supporting island will run out of everything in short order and no longer has an Empire it can rely on.
      February 18, 2019 7:11 PM MST

I think the wealth of the Royal Family could support the whole island for quite a while. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 24, 2019 10:40 PM MST
      February 24, 2019 10:39 PM MST

Just generally---in the sense that it's what happens when people vote for something they don't understand and therefore cannot properly evaluate.

....Kind of like Trump's presidential candidacy in 2016.
      February 18, 2019 7:34 PM MST

I understand enough to know the English are not getting the Brexit they voted for. 
      February 18, 2019 10:05 PM MST

The main problem is they didn't know what Brexit they voted for. 
      February 20, 2019 4:27 PM MST

Of course they did....enough did to get it passed. 
      February 20, 2019 5:12 PM MST

Simple; most of the British public wanted shot of the corrupt undemocratic EU.  Most of the MPs don't; so they keep filibustering for more than 2 years instead of making proper preparations. The only reason a no-deal is a cliff edge is the complete lack of preparation for it. 
      February 20, 2019 11:52 AM MST

Correction - most of the British public didn't care enough either way to vote at all. Of those that did, only the English majority voted Leave - the results in Scotland, Wales and particularly Northern Ireland were remain by a sizeable margin. A no-deal Brexit could see the open border between Ulster and Eire closed - which might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  If that backstop fails, I would expect Sinn Fein to sweep the board at the next general election, the DUP to be routed and Ireland to be united - OUT of the UK. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 23, 2019 1:07 PM MST
      February 20, 2019 5:03 PM MST

Not quite. Turnout was 72. Wales voted leave, and the Scottish majority for remain was sizeable, the Northern Ireland one less so but still significant. There are still enough paramilitaries in Ireland to prevent the border being de facto closed, particularly if neither the UK nor Eire wish it. I doubt if the EU would risk its soldiers' lives on that account. 
      February 21, 2019 10:51 AM MST

Rural Wales voted leave. Cardiff and Swansea were solidly remain. I thought that most of the Welsh population lived in those two cities - correct me if I'm wrong.
      February 22, 2019 5:24 AM MST

Around 400,000 people live in Cardiff and about half that number in Swansea. This is out of a total population of some 3,000,000.
    The northeast and the Valleys, which have an industrial character and a coal-mining past, voted Leave but by a much lesser margin than comparable industrial and mining regions in England. Two majority Welsh-speaking districts in the north-west went Remain but in other rural areas the picture was more mixed.
      February 23, 2019 11:02 AM MST

….aren't you that guy that hates the Jews?   All Jews are money grubbing, evil doers?   Is that you?   
      February 24, 2019 10:44 PM MST

No.  Not at all.
      February 24, 2019 11:04 PM MST

I hope and post like that was reported. Was it recent?
      February 25, 2019 5:12 AM MST