Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » My region is getting an IKEA this Spring. Is the hype of needing to visit this store truly warranted?

My region is getting an IKEA this Spring. Is the hype of needing to visit this store truly warranted?

Posted - February 18, 2019

Responses

• i've never been to an IKEA and the nearest is hours away so CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 18, 2019 5:49 PM MST
      February 18, 2019 2:16 PM MST

• Well with an attitude like THAT I'm not so sure you should ever deserve the chance to partake of those delicious looking meatballs. 
      February 18, 2019 2:20 PM MST

All I know about IKEA is
    that their stuff's pretty easy to put together...
    Sawdust and glue with a thin veneer,
    But it all works and looks decent.

February 18, 2019 2:18 PM MST

• There's almost a sort of cultish rage when it comes to this store.  I have actually heard someone say "Thank goodness....I won't have to drive 5 hours now when I want to go to one."
      February 18, 2019 2:22 PM MST

Have you ever put any of their furniture together? Oh. My. Word. No. You need an engineering degree to do it. At least the pieces I've seen and handled. Never again. 
      February 18, 2019 5:01 PM MST

A bed, a sofa and a couple bookcases. No issues. The written instructions are pointless unless you can read Swedish, but the diagrams are plain enough.
      February 18, 2019 6:48 PM MST

In that case, I bought two of these beds. One for each of my younger children.

Here are the instructions: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/kura-reversible-bed__AA-843436-6_pub.pdf 
    I still have a ton of parts left over. Next time you're in the States, I'll buy you a beer if you can figure out where the extra parts go. lol
      February 18, 2019 7:43 PM MST

You have extra parts because the maker of the bed chose his "Lot Tolerance percent Defective" for the inclusion of the assortment of parts to be what it is.

(It's a concept in "production management.") 
      February 18, 2019 8:21 PM MST

Nope. I have extra parts because I put them together wrong. 
      February 19, 2019 9:11 AM MST

If that's true, then you don't need to buy Slartibartfast a beer---you should be able to figure it out yourself.
      February 19, 2019 2:34 PM MST

I built two of those one summer. I could only work weekends. They are immensely sturdy and should last 100 years. They can be taken apart to relocate them. They got passed down somewhere and I don't know who has them. I hope they enjoy. My ex gave the plans to my son-in-law so he can build some.
      February 19, 2019 12:44 PM MST

Hello ProdigalSon.
    There is one down in Palo Alto. I went there once, I will not be doing that again. Once you go inside you have to walk completely around the store, passing the cheapest, ugliest (in my opinion) furniture made. It was like a maze of horrors....
      February 18, 2019 2:32 PM MST

IKEA is a great example of high price due strictly due to branding.
    If you like anything you see at IKEA ... don't buy it before looking online for similar item(s).
      February 18, 2019 2:35 PM MST

• I think I went there once and bought a hundred tea light candles. Then threw away 98 tea light candles 2 years later. 
      February 18, 2019 3:00 PM MST

Why would you want to light your tea?
      February 18, 2019 5:51 PM MST

• I don’t even know. That’s why I had to throw them away. 
      February 18, 2019 6:45 PM MST

Let's see... a giant warehouse big enough to get lost in, hoards of zombified people who have likely been lost for days, furniture that's impossible to put together and in odd non-American sizes... yeah... no. 
      February 18, 2019 5:03 PM MST

LOLOLOL. Zombies lost for days. Funniest thing I've heard for weeks. Thanks Princess.
      February 18, 2019 5:52 PM MST

• Responses like this have managed to actually make me more intrigued than I was to begin with.  I feel like I need to go just to find out how relatable some of these comments are. 
      February 19, 2019 6:13 AM MST

I have no plans to visit one. An hour away near Detroit. Plus we already have enough stuff.
      February 18, 2019 5:54 PM MST

We have four or five huge stores in London.....go there at your peril ...once you enter any of those stores you have to walk around the whole store to get to the department that you want and then on to where you collect your items and then to try find the exit......
    Ive heard of families  trapped in their stores for years as they ventured in their with out maps or their sat nav battery failed.....:(

Its  a false economy to by their self assembly furniture if you yourself aren't compartment.....
    It can take two men two days or more to assemble a flat  pack kitchen and make sure you have all the correct opponents...
    When you find items missing or gave by passed quility control ....it's then a trip back to the store

Kitchens carcassess are much better when glued together in a factory then the cam lock flat pack units.....there are much harded to break when installing and are far less likely  be damaged from water leaks or
    water spills....
    The drawers are weak and very flimsy and not really suitable for everyday family use....  
      February 18, 2019 6:34 PM MST

I bought this straw hat from IKEA 

February 18, 2019 6:44 PM MST

• Lol! I love that.
      February 18, 2019 7:22 PM MST

Second funniest thing in weeks.
      February 19, 2019 12:46 PM MST