Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How disappointed do you get when you learn that folks whom you admire a lot are actually human beings with flaws just like you?

How disappointed do you get when you learn that folks whom you admire a lot are actually human beings with flaws just like you?

I don't think I idolize but I KNOW I idealize people. It's always a shock to my system when someone points out a flaw I new naught about. Yeah. Sure. Of course I want to know the truth. But ya know what? Truth isn't always an easy thing to accept even when you want to and know you should. :(

Posted - February 19, 2019

Responses

I don't get disappointed because I already know that they have flaws just like I do. They are only human after all. :)
      February 19, 2019 7:08 AM MST

I guess that little girl within me never grew up ru. I still get very disappointed in people. I'm sure they get very disappointed in me but I am not someone's role model or ideal. I'm just an average typical everyday ordinary human being. No one expects perfect from me. I don't THINK I expect perfect but I do expect honesty and kindness and caring. Thank you for your reply ru and Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      February 19, 2019 7:50 AM MST

I think we should admire ideals ... and we can point out figures who strive / strove for those ideals, while also acknowledging that those figures had shortcomings.

We should NOT disregard their achievements, when we view them through modern values.
    Just because (say) Jefferson had slaves, doesn't make his achievements any less.  
    It means that he was human, with the same limitations and weaknesses of others of his time.

February 19, 2019 8:04 AM MST

There was a time I was very suspicious of people - thought everyone had a con and that was just the way it was.  So no one had any claim to anything more than that.  I learned quite differently - that many are good just for the sake of being good so I think that is always inspiring to me that some people really are as good and as unselfish as they are.  That was one reason I started really to believe in God because I saw there was real goodness and I could not fathom where else it could have come from. 
      February 19, 2019 8:15 AM MST