Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there any connection between the intellect and the kind of music one prefers? Is an opera lover more intelligent than those who aren't?

Is there any connection between the intellect and the kind of music one prefers? Is an opera lover more intelligent than those who aren't?

Posted - February 19, 2019

Responses

I don't know about "intelligent" ... but if they can understand it, they're smarter than I am. 
    I have no idea what those people are singing, most of the time.  LOL

According to this article, there are good signs but not enough large-scale research has been done:
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/494633-the-effects-of-music-on-prenatal-babies/

It sounds like playing music during fetal development could reduce ADHD-type disorders.

Another interesting article, states that evidence fails to show passive listening increased intelligence over the long term - but active music playing may.

https://www.parentingscience.com/music-and-intelligence.html This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 19, 2019 9:29 AM MST
      February 19, 2019 8:29 AM MST

Thank you for the helpful reply and the links Walt. I appreciate both!  :)
      February 19, 2019 9:29 AM MST

Well my husband loves opera and he is more intelligent than I am.  So who knows but perhaps since I have listened to and attended operas with him I have become more intelligent!
      February 19, 2019 8:32 AM MST

I must be really stupid because I cannot stand Opera.

February 19, 2019 9:07 AM MST

There are a few arias that I really love. I cannot tell you by name which they are or from which operas. But I know them when I hear them. I LOVED The Student Prince but that's not opera...I think it's an operetta! I think the music was written by Rudolph Friml The old time movies made by Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald I did enjoy. "Porgy and Bess" is an "opera" of sorts...an American opera. "Oklahoma..South Pacific...Carousel...The King and I". All American operas...sort of. Mario Lanza's voice really stirred me. No matter what he sang. He could have sung a dictionary or phone book and I would have enjoyed it. His life was so sad. He died very young due to an uncontrollable appetite. He'd gain 100 lbs in-between movies and then starve them off. Severe yo-yo dieting killed him. I think he was only in his 30's. And I also heard Pavarotti sing something once that I did enjoy. But I'm not an opera buff. Thank you for your reply Sharon! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 19, 2019 10:56 AM MST
      February 19, 2019 9:15 AM MST

I love Pavarotti.   Don't know how smart that makes me because I also love Elvis Presley.  :)
      February 19, 2019 9:38 AM MST

I liked early Elvis better. I also liked better early John Steinbeck. I had a fiance decades ago who was a huge admirer of Pavorotti's or I would not ever have heard him or maybe even have heard OF him. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 19, 2019 9:50 AM MST
      February 19, 2019 9:40 AM MST

What's the difference between a musical and an opera?
    You can understand a musical.
    LOL

Don't forget "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" in your list of American musicals/operas.
    Gotta love the axe-swinging, barn-raising, dance scene.

I've never seen the entire Phantom of the Opera ... but I enjoy the music.
      February 19, 2019 9:41 AM MST

My sister treated me and our mom to a local performance of Phantom. Not with the big star everyone knew of (I forget his name--was it Michael something?) but with a guy who had played a BUTLER on a TV sitcom. I forget his name too. It was VERY LONG AGO. But he had a good voice. Didn't know he could sing. 7 brides is a classic too. I actually thought of listing it but didn't. Now Sound of Music and My Fair Lady did well. Were they originally British? Thank you for your reply Walt. :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 19, 2019 9:48 AM MST
      February 19, 2019 9:47 AM MST

Sound of Music is another Rodgers and Hammerstein production from 1959.

Interestingly, George Bernard Shaw didn't let Pygmalion become a musical when he was alive, because he felt it would hurt his income.  After his death, Rodgers and Hammerstein tried to produce a musical - but failed.  So did the creative minds behind Paint Your Wagon: librettist Alan Jay Lerner and composer Frederick Loewe, in 1952.  But in 1954 they decided to give it another try.

https://mentalfloss.com/article/76684/15-loverly-facts-about-my-fair-lady
      February 19, 2019 10:01 AM MST

Student Prince was by Sigmund Romberg, Porgy and Bess by Gershwin, and the others by Rodgers and Hammerstein.  I think Hammerstein actually worked with Romberg as well when he was younger.  Maybe. 
      February 19, 2019 10:58 AM MST

• What if Opera is the only style of music that you DON'T LIKE? Does it make the opera lover superior to the rest of us? You can be head over heels in love with any genre of music and still have an elitist opinion of yourself. What if one respects the ability, but doesn't care for the product?(opera)  Where does it leave you, if you love opera but know absolutely nothing about any other musical expression. Being able to discuss (or enjoy) a variety of interests and experiences comes from an inquisitive mind. 
      February 19, 2019 11:23 AM MST