Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Everyone loves soup. What is your favorite and what soup makes you gag?

Everyone loves soup. What is your favorite and what soup makes you gag?

Posted - February 21, 2019

Responses

LOL 

I drink loads of beet juice.  I don't like the taste, but what it does for me is amazing.  So I use it as a medicine.   It is best nutritionally served cold and raw and juiced.  Cooking just ruins anything nutritious.    

I love gazpacho.

P.s.   Your soup fave sounds great, I don't eat chicken, but if I did, I would try this  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 11, 2019 1:44 PM MDT
      February 22, 2019 9:30 AM MST

• I sometimes leave the chicken out and substitute shrimp.  It would be good with no meat as long as you have well seasoned broth.  :)

February 22, 2019 9:40 AM MST

Oh I could do the shrimp and love it.  Or any sea food.  I'm trying to only eat sea food sporadically.  And when I find a recipe like yours that I need to substitute a meat for fish, I use it.

Thanks.  
      February 22, 2019 11:29 AM MST

"Cooking just ruins anything nutritious. "

That depends on the food. Carrots, for instance, have all the nutrition inside a tough cell. Cooking breaks the cell wall, releasing the nutrition.
      February 23, 2019 5:37 PM MST

Favorite; French onion
    close runner-up; oxtail

Maybe not a soup, but treated and loved like one; beef chili

least favorite; clam chowder
      February 22, 2019 9:33 AM MST

If I ate meat I would love both your choices.

I like clam chowder but I don't get what the deal is with putting those potatoes in the mix.  I don't want them.
      February 22, 2019 9:34 AM MST

I make my own 16-bean soup with smoked turkey legs. That is my favorite.
    Commercial or restaurant soups...New England clam chowdah. Gag soup...any vegetable soups with watery broth.

This post was edited by Element 99 at March 11, 2019 1:44 PM MDT
      February 22, 2019 11:18 AM MST

Now you have blown my small mind.

AMAZING.  I'm coming over for some.  Well, I WOULD come if I did eat turkey still.

Turkey flavor makes the BEST soup.   Even better than chicken. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 22, 2019 7:14 PM MST
      February 22, 2019 11:20 AM MST

Of course, I also add salt, pepper, onions and fresh garlic. It's quite easy to make, but you need an oval slow cooker.
      February 22, 2019 11:31 AM MST

I make soup regularly.  Sometimes beans are the base, sometimes meat/meat broth, and sometimes just veggies.  I made potato soup today with polish sausage, onions, and green beans.  I ate too much, but it was really delish.   There is a German butcher down the road and they make kielbasa in house.  My goodness, it is out of this world! 
      February 22, 2019 10:20 PM MST

My grandma's fish chowder was the best. I've never been able to acquire a taste for tomato soup.
      March 11, 2019 1:43 PM MDT

Favorite:"Pot o' beans"
    1 lb black eye peas
    1/2 lb salt pork (fatback)
    1 onion, chopped
    salt
    water to cover.

Gag: menudo
    A Mexican tradition using pig fat as the main ingredient.
      March 12, 2019 4:39 AM MDT

We have miso soup almost every day. I make a pot once or twice a week.  Cook lightly carrots, mushrooms, kombu, wakame, celery root and sometimes pieces of other roots in water for two hours, add chopped leeks near the end and chopped dill right at the very end.  Stop cooking and add the miso paste which mostly I use barley miso.  Garnish with scallions or sprouts or pieces of raw cabbage or pickles. 

I like to make bean soups - navy bean, split pea with kombu or wakame and carrots, cabbage etc.  A light red or yellow lentil soup for summer with summer squash and pieces of kale and kombu and an onion/garlic/mushroom base.

Fresh clam chowder with onions, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and salt pork which I only make on occasion as we seldom have meat.  

Bouillabaisse which is a rich fish and seafood chowder to which I add little pieces of vegetables and we eat with brown rice or slabs of whole wheat bread. 
      March 12, 2019 6:18 AM MDT

Hello O:

Pho.  It's a beef based Vietnamese noodle soup, and it's great..

excon
      March 12, 2019 7:58 AM MDT